Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 02:20 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I would be much wealthier today if SS had been privatized 40 years ago. Thank you unions for screwing me.
LOL me too. Most responsible adults would be. But lets face facts. Most Americans would have squandered the money. Even now I try to teach new employees to invest in their own future. More often than not I get, "no I would rather have the money now." So willing to put their future in the hands of strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 02:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Correction! I looked up my wage on a GM truck line in the summer of 1978, it was over $12/hr! That was in 1978. Look how far we have fallen since then. We are now arguing about whether factory workers should be pain $15/hr 38 years later!

Think about that all of you who have no problem with the exorbitant salaries of CEOs https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...erage_slub.png and the poverty wages of laborers. No wonder the poverty rate has risen. http://www.heritage.org/~/media/info...art-6-825.ashx

The CEO's will make that, no matter where it is made. Welcome to the no tariff global import economy we live with today. To compete on the global market place with labor, Americans are going to have to stagnate wages for decades.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So I presume you support handing over social security and Medicare to private efforts (Wall Street etc)? You can thank unions for SS and Medicare, and the decline of unions will ensure that they will be fully privatized unless you start fighting back. The donor class are out to get you and they have already fully bought the GOP and half of the Democratic Party as union money has dried up and Sheldon Adelson, the Chamber of Commerce and the Koch brothers decide what happens next to you through their puppets you can vote for.
I would rather manage that money myself, that's true. My personal portfolio has done far better than what I will ever get from SS.
I vote independent. I wasn't aware that the Koch brothers were endorsing independents these days. Neither Trump nor Hillary can expect my vote. It is true I detest Hillary more between the 2.
Half the democratic party? I would argue they are as bought and paid for as the GOP.

You keep speaking of things Unions helped to bring about. SS 1937 medicare medicate 1965.
Anything newsworthy in the last 20 years?

Old 09-06-2016, 02:28 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
In case you haven't noticed what you have described has been in place for at least 50 years.....
It didn't start with Trump or GWB. For that matter the Unions have had their hand in the mix as well. Add Israel to the mix along with China and Japan.
Back to Ashley furniture.
Companies pick up and move to more business friendly states, cities and or countries. Blame the politicians who continue to put foreign interests before our own.
How has NAFTA worked out for the Union? How about this pacific trade deal Obama is pushing?
I leave the country in about a year, something I never considered doing as little as 10 years ago. The cost of living has grown out of control. Some would argue due to too much Government.
I love my country, just not what it has become and is becoming.
Politicians put CORPORATE interests before your own. They serve their financial overlords. This does not mean you and the rest of the 99% but the special interests and donor class. Obviously, people who are fine with massive income and wealth inequality dont care about this and are happily seeing that American democracy is destroyed. But for the 99% who are not members of the donor class, it is a big problem and not everyone is trying to flee. Some are fighting back for progressive change and getting big money out of politics.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:29 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Obama's fault.
All that "Hope and Change" is actually happening. Unfortunately, they didn't tell you it was changing for the worst. Not like someone with no business experience would know what to do anyway.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:29 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
So I presume you support handing over social security and Medicare to private efforts (Wall Street etc)? You can thank unions for SS and Medicare, and the decline of unions will ensure that they will be fully privatized unless you start fighting back. The donor class are out to get you and they have already fully bought the GOP and half of the Democratic Party as union money has dried up and Sheldon Adelson, the Chamber of Commerce and the Koch brothers decide what happens next to you through their puppets you can vote for.
It's actually the other way around. The donor class has bought more of the Dem Party than the GOP. Look at the "bailout bill" votes:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll681.xml

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/110-2008/s212

Old 09-06-2016, 02:33 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I would be much wealthier today if SS had been privatized 40 years ago. Thank you unions for screwing me.
Me, too.

Not only that... even the middle class loses money on SS, now:
Quote:
"As recently as 1985, workers at every income level could retire and expect to get more in benefits than they paid in Social Security taxes, though they didn't do quite as well as their parents and grandparents.

Not anymore.

A married couple retiring last year after both spouses earned average lifetime wages paid about $598,000 in Social Security taxes during their careers. They can expect to collect about $556,000 in benefits, if the man lives to 82 and the woman lives to 85, according to a 2011 study by the Urban Institute, a Washington think tank.

Social Security benefits are progressive, so most low-income workers retiring today still will get slightly more in benefits than they paid in taxes. Most high-income workers started getting less in benefits than they paid in taxes in the 1990s, according to data from the Social Security Administration."
Social Security is a LOSING deal for most workers - AP

On Medicare, because there's no income cap on the Medicare tax, only high-income earners lose money on that deal.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Politicians put CORPORATE interests before your own. They serve their financial overlords. This does not mean you and the rest of the 99% but the special interests and donor class. Obviously, people who are fine with massive income and wealth inequality dont care about this and are happily seeing that American democracy is destroyed. But for the 99% who are not members of the donor class, it is a big problem and not everyone is trying to flee. Some are fighting back for progressive change and getting big money out of politics.
No issue with getting money out of politics, I am all for it. The fact remains that Soros is as bad or worse than the Koch brothers.
The progressive hero Bernie Sanders has sold out to Hillary. That hero by the way was a train wreck before public office and as an elected rep really hasn't achieved much.
The problem with progressives for me is they don't stop at the 1%. How has the ACA helped me and my group?

How does paying an unskilled underachiever $15 an hour improve my life? I see it causing costs to go up. In the industry I am in payroll and benefits is the biggest expense. Do we then raise everyone elses pay accordingly? Wont that put us back where we started?
Like I said before. Why don't all the business experts who believe $15 an hour is no big thing to do, start their own business and pay $15 an hour for unskilled labor.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
That is non-relevant. However, since you brought up the auto industry, I worked as summer help on a GM factory line in 1978 while in college. I earned over $8/hr back in 1978. I was able to earn my tuition and room and board for the entire following year of college. Pay was good back then and college was affordable. Therefore, I was able to move up.
It's extremely relevant, this is your union at work.....but facts...I know....

Old 09-06-2016, 02:39 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I would rather manage that money myself, that's true. My personal portfolio has done far better than what I will ever get from SS.
I vote independent. I wasn't aware that the Koch brothers were endorsing independents these days. Neither Trump nor Hillary can expect my vote. It is true I detest Hillary more between the 2.
Half the democratic party? I would argue they are as bought and paid for as the GOP.

You keep speaking of things Unions helped to bring about. SS 1937 medicare medicate 1965.
Anything newsworthy in the last 20 years?
We live in a two-party tyranny restricting choices and voices for the American people. This is by design, brought to you by the donor class. Of course, the Koch brothers are running ads for Gary Johnson as well these days.

Unions have been decimated over the past 40 years as worker's pay and benefits have flatlined. That's of course no coincidence. Weaker unions means more income and wealth inequality and less democracy. Studies show that the opinions of the vast majority of the population matter 0% when it comes to laws being passed. The opinion of the big money donor class is what counts. Thats the opposite of democracy. Thats rule by wealth. We can either attack starvin' Marvin on $50 food stamps as the big problem facing America, or we can get the guts to take on the big money special interests destroying the 99%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies