Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 03:23 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is the wages of the CEO have nothing to do with the wages of the production worker. Only a fool would think otherwise.

They do impact shareholders.
Absurdity. Income and wealth inequality causes the system to be heavily rigged in favor of the super rich and destroys democracy. This is what we are seeing around the world. Working stiffs defending this system is laughed at by the moneyed elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 03:28 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
. Fighting for the working class and against the big money donor class and a rigged economy held up by a corrupt system of campaign finance is the right thing to do. If you call that "relativism" and pseudo-science I am all for that.

That's not what I'm opposing. What I'm opposing is liberal social issues and fighting too much in favor of the lower, working and middle class and the liberal solutions proposed. And worse of all equal outcomes based on race, sex, sexual orientation and behavior, etc.

If a "fighting for the working class" liberal wants to enforce immigration law and lower immigration and temporary worker levels, or take a look a free trade, I can find agreement. I never see a liberal advocating that. Instead it's something like $15/hr minimum wage! no immigrating enforcement! More immigration! LGBT! Affirmative Action! I'm with Hillary on TPP!

Old 09-06-2016, 03:34 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
All jobs are "an honest job." All jobs are not worth paying someone $15/hr to do.

In the first place, it was you "liberals" that screwed up the health care system and drove the cost of health insurance way up by shoving ObamaCare down our throats. Many people lost their employer provided health insurance when ObamaCare went into effect.

Secondly, someone making $7.25/hr is probably living at home (or should be), or is married with a working spouse.

Someone who is only capable of earning $7.25/hr should not be trying to support a family on it (should not have a family, unless married with a working spouse).

Minimum wage is a starting position. It is not permanent. Unless one is really stupid, they do not earn minimum wage for very long.

Sick of you 'liberals' and your emotional rhetoric, which is all it is. Appealing to emotions isn't going to get you anywhere.
The majority of the people on these programs would much rather have jobs which pay them enough to support their families without any help from the government.

Read more at: Jon Stewart Brilliantly Destroys the Republican Party for Demonizing the Poor, Defending the Rich - Forward Progressives

Old 09-06-2016, 03:39 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
CEO's get more wealth and workers get the shaft. Get to hire new workers who will be worked like slaves with no benefits,low wages and long hours. Thanks for giving me another store I WON'T be using to furnish our new home in October!

“We cannot let companies like Ashley bleed the American dream,” Naja said. “It’s not only the employees, but the families, the kids, the wives. They’ve got wives with medical situations and things like that. There’s no way a huge company like Ashley’s can shut down the doors.”

Another former employee, Juan Zuniga, 36, said he is the only breadwinner for his family, with three kids.

“I feel sorry for every single one of our family,” Zuniga said. “This is my family. I’ve been here more than in my home. I’ve spent 10 to 12 hours working in there.”

Roselia Serrano, 40, of Colton, also is the sole income provider for her family with two teenagers. She said Friday was the first time the workers were informed of the layoffs.

“Right now, I’m in shock. My head is spinning and I don’t know what’s going to be my next step,” Serrano said. “I know we have to look for another job.”

Zuniga said he and other workers are organizing a Labor Day protest in front of the store.

“We’re going to be here making a protest and we’re calling everybody that can come to please support us and find out what they did to us,” Zuniga said. “Come and support all the hard-working employees and parents that take income to their house. I’m the only one supporting my family. I’m the only one paying a mortgage.”

If Ashley furniture's move is "bleeding the American dream" perhaps someone should explain to those who no longer have a "dream" with Ashley furniture that to have a dream, it requires much much more than just $10 or even $15 an hour. Especially in California. That is unless, of course, your "dream" consists of 5 roomates named Juan?

If the kids and wives, and uncles and aunts are living off of the one ******* making $10/hour, then they really should quit and go on tv explaining to the unwashed masses how to "realize their dreams" on slightly above minimum wage?

Advice? The next time a Lawyer or Democrat politician tells you what YOU are ENTITLED to, take stock in your abilities and realize, that with a stroke of a pen, ANYONE can lose their job. Even in the job killing state now known as California. If you were living off of the wage they were paying and, check me if I am wrong, no one had a gun to your head forcing you to come in and work for that "measly" wage, you should be equal to the task of working for someone else for equal pay?

Just remember, it's not what a Democrat tells you, it's what they DON'T tell you that counts. If you think that raising wages will "show em'" you better start to learn how to live in Viet Nam, China, Cambodia, or whatever they are calling Burma (Myanmar) nowadays and be grateful for what you can get. Because, as you can see, "demanding" something can cost you your job. Excel is a MF and it only takes a CFO minutes to do the math. Raise wages? How many folks do I lay off to offset so we can still be responsible to the shareholders and not lose OUR jobs? That's the way it works folks. Even a lying democrat like Hillary will have NO control over what the C Level execs do when her and the Bernie demand machine kick in.

Think it's tough getting a job now? Wait until she passes the TPP and encourages more NAFTA type trade deals. You will enslaved forever in the Democrat slave machine all the while lapping up the BS her and others are saying...."its the OTHER guy's fault" all the way to the poor house.
S N A P O U T O F I T......do not go to the Democrat light.....it will only bankrupt you and end your "dreams" at the Ashley Furniture warehouse where mediocre products does not a sustainable model make.

How's it working out NOW for you? Pelosi, Waters, Boxer showing up to help you? You know, because they "care".....Hillary swing by with a bag of cash? Didn't think so....but hey, California dreamin'....

Old 09-06-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Exactly, and I neglected to mention "responsibility" in my earlier post. Also, another thing that comes into play in the wage/salary debate, which is related to responsibility is if you are in charge of a "profit center," or if you are responsible for a budget. A CEO is responsible for the profitability of a company, which is why they are paid so much. A former boss explained it to me this way one time: How much damage will your poor performance do to the company if you screw up? That's why a good CEO who can lead a company to higher profits and to become a leader in their industry makes millions.

This is lost on 'liberals.'
Like I said, CEOs pay themselves much more than they are worth because they can. Anyone who supports that over the welfare of our middle class is extremely naive. Skill and responsibility? Wow! You were sold a line.

Quote:
241 people who have ranked as the highest paid CEOs in the US in the past two decades
Quote:
An astonishing 38% of these titans of finance and industry have either been kicked out of their jobs, put in jail or had to have their companies be rescued from bankruptcy.
Want a job where you can fail and still get paid lavishly? Try corporate CEO

Old 09-06-2016, 03:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Absurdity. Income and wealth inequality causes the system to be heavily rigged in favor of the super rich and destroys democracy. This is what we are seeing around the world. Working stiffs defending this system is laughed at by the moneyed elite.
You are the people laughed at by anyone with any education in economics.

Wealth inequality is a good thing.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Look, if someone isn't earning enough for their needs, they need to find a job that meets their needs. If they don't have the skills, they need to acquire them. It's that simple. Don't blame the CEO for not paying someone who isn't worth $15/hr a "living wage." What is a "living wage" for one person might not be for someone else.

No, the CEO's are not!

The stupidity of your reasoning is mind boggling.
Keep dreaming. Meanwhile, open up your tax wallet.

Quote:
most taxpayers are unaware they are spending over $153.8 billion annually to subsidize corporate profits due to low wages that keep millions and millions of American workers on public assistance programs. It is that lack of awareness that prevents massive outrage against Republicans for opposing raising the minimum wage.
New Report: Taxpayers Subsidize $153.8 Billion In Corporate Profits Due To Low Wages

Quote:
These include Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF or welfare), and food stamps low-wage workers rely on just to make ends meet, barely

Old 09-06-2016, 03:52 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Absurdity. Income and wealth inequality causes the system to be heavily rigged in favor of the super rich and destroys democracy.
Not really...

Sweden has a higher per capita billionaire rate than the U.S.:
Sweden's billionaires: They have more per capita than the United States.

Their middle class (everyone with 1.5 times or more the national average income) is in the highest income tax bracket, they have a 25% VAT tax that everyone pays, and their citizens have less disposable income and less satisfactory housing, on average, than Americans.

http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/topics/income/

http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/topics/housing/

Would you be good with a system like that?

Old 09-06-2016, 03:55 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
A load of BS. Union propaganda.
Who has forced me to train my replacement and sent me packing? I am sure the company has had more than a few opportunities to do so over the last 25 years. I train a lot of people. In fact I recently received 100 shares of stocks in recognition for my efforts. I wasn't fired or laid off.
The 99%? Please don't lump me in with those who are content to flip burgers for a living, that refused to make themselves worth more by building skills.
I am a realist. I detest CEO's making many millions a year, but I also understand that I have 0 R compared to them.
I also understand that compared to the burger flipper I am worth more to an industrial work sight.
I ask again. What skills/ value does an unskilled, unmotivated person bring to the job that rates $15.00 an hour?
I could be wrong but businesses are in business to make money. Charities are in the business of charity. I have a good idea. All the people who feel that people should start out at $15 an hour can start their own business and pay $15 an hour.
Maybe you should try living on under $8 or $9 dollars and then come back and talk all this stuff.
maybe you should look at what is the basic standard of living cost and actually begin to respect the individuals right to fair pair for investing their time in doing a job.

You might look down on the burger flipper, but you won't look down with such joy when there is no burgers being flipped when you want to stroll in and think ones self above the people preparing and selling the fast food.

Too many people are too quick to put others down, but then want the services these people provide. Geez!!!

You may be an exception if you got stock, but that does not count "0" toward the many thousands of people who get nothing.
What is 100 shares when CEO's are GIVEN 10's of thousands and 100's of thousands shares, for doing nothing, except having a job, they are already over paid for.
Stock Options should be made Illegal to Executives, if they want them, buy them just like any other employee has to buy them.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It is absurd if you did not earn it, by having the skills appropriate to the wage level you need. We have tens of millions of jobs that pay quite well, and we do not tell anyone they cannot, by law, obtain the skills needed to get one.
And we have millions of jobs that paid much more a decade ago than they pay now. Having the skills to do something in the US, does not always equate to a higher pay level later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies