Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 10:06 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You mean that someone who works an honest job full time is living outside their means if they need: a roof over their heads, healthcare, food, clothing, and a means of transportation?

$7.25/hr = $15080/year before deductions such as health insurance, FICA
If that someone is a burger flipper, doing a job that requires no real skills or responsibility? I would say that they are well paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
But does the company pay a wage that reflects the skill required to do the job?
Should pay be based upon each individual needs rather than skill and ability?
I don't think so.
Define a decent living wage? Is it the company's fault if Mary has 4 children to support? Should the company pay Mary more than Tom, Because Tom has no children to support?
If pay is by skill only and not the labor involved nor the cost of living, get ready to open up your tax wallet some more to pay for those who work but live in poverty.

As they say, "It all comes out in the wash." And the company CEOs are taking tax payers and employees to the cleaners.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:14 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Unless they have a health condition and need, for example, an EpiPen. Then what?
Epinephrine is injectable, and cheap.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....FQQxaQodWhEK-w

Millions of people inject themselves with insulin daily. They don't need an "InsuPen" to do it.

And before you balk at using Veterinary grade meds, I know many people who use much cheaper-priced fish antibiotics instead of filling their antibiotic prescriptions at a pharmacy.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
If pay is by skill only and not the labor involved nor the cost of living, get ready to open up your tax wallet some more to pay for those who work but live in poverty.

As they say, "It all comes out in the wash." And the company CEOs are taking tax payers and employees to the cleaners.
I detest CEO's making millions. That said I also detest paying someone $15 an hour because they refuse to improve themselves.
I work for a fortune 500 corporation. I hate the fat cats at the top. That said very few of them work less than a 60+ hour week. The managers at the bottom typically work 80 hour weeks. On top of this most managers where I work also have an engineering degree.

The average Technician makes $23 an hour. I am close to 32.
I started at $8 an hour over 25 years ago. Back then minimum wage was around $5.00 an hour.
Our new people currently start at 12 an hour. They know squat and must be taught everything. It takes time. Not a single new hire is worth the 12 an hour we pay to start. Why? Because it takes a Technician away from being productive to train them. It's an investment.
Paying someone $15 an hour because it feels good is a fools errand.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Why should taxpayers be fleeced to pay for them? Why can't they live within their means? If they want to earn more money, there's their incentive for acquiring more valuable skills.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:20 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,550,525 times
Remove the illegals, restrict legal immigration and wages for Americans will rise.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:24 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
$15/hour seems really low for most parts of California. Considering that CA costs double what it costs to live in the Midwest, $15/hour seems fair.

But I'm sure it will save Ashley a bunch of money by putting their factory and warehouse in a more affordable state. If companies would start setting up in smaller towns, they could really save money on labor and taxes, but also help bring jobs to smaller towns.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
$15/hour seems really low for most parts of California. Considering that CA costs double what it costs to live in the Midwest, $15/hour seems fair.

But I'm sure it will save Ashley a bunch of money by putting their factory and warehouse in a more affordable state. If companies would start setting up in smaller towns, they could really save money on labor and taxes, but also help bring jobs to smaller towns.
Companies are in business to make a profit. It only makes sense to relocate to a more business friendly location. They have to compete in the global market. NAFTA opened that door a mile wide. The fact is though, that we were already loosing manufacturing to the global market. Our clothing industry was already destroyed.

When the corp. I work for looks for a new sight, Ill tell you a couple factors that always come into play.
1. Tax breaks from the local community
2. Infra structure. Can the location support us.
3. People.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Wow! Your post demonstrates just how far America has gone downhill! You actually believe that someone who works an honest job full time, should not receive a wage enough to live on.
Working "an honest job full time" doesn't equate to a "right" to a certain level of pay. Pay is determined by what the job entails, and what is required to preform it successfully; i.e., skills required, experience, education, knowledge of the industry, etc., etc. There are many factors. Simply showing up every day isn't enough to get you a high paying job.

Typical Leftist rhetoric. You ignore the requirements of a job and go for the emotional effect, "working an honest job full time," as though nothing else is important. The simple fact is, some work is just not worth paying someone $15/hr to do. Period. I don't care if you do put in an "honest days work!" That doesn't mean you deserve to get $15/hr!

Old 09-06-2016, 11:28 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Liberals will never 'get it.' It's a waste of time to argue with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies