Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:08 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,842,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The point is Russia's sudden morality to call a UN special session because the US hit their military where have they been for the last year while Assad bombed civilians and used chemical weapons on his own countrymen.
The US didn't hit Russian military, and Asad didn't use chemical weapons on the Syrians.
Looks like you're parroting the western lying propaganda again.

Quote:
The few reports coming out of Syria indicated that Russia was more interested in killing Syrian Militia than ISIS.
Really? But what reports you are talking about and how they indicated that? Can you share with this precious information with us?

Quote:
Meanwhile a human aid convoy of 31 trucks was bombed in Northern Aleppo destroying 18, neither Russia or Syria will take responsibility, maybe they blew themselves up. Maybe Russia will call for another UN Security council special session.

Russia denies responsibility for aid convoy strike - News from Al Jazeera
Wow! Your sources of information have already degraded from the US media to Al Jazeera? It only shows that you couldn't find this sort of BS in the US news outlets, so you decided to use Al Jazeera as a credible source of information. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Yep...thank God---or someone.
Russian apologists aside---Russia isin Syria for their own interests...and no one elses.
Please explain, what interests exactly.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I see it this way: It is a war, a war started by the US at a time (from 2006 on according to leaked docs) when there was no problem in Syria, yet. So, what Obama says now is simply irrelevant as the US has no moral foundation anymore, it is hopelessly discredited in that entire region.
Russia sure has its own agenda, but they did not start the war, they are actually doing the right thing, they defend the elected government of Syria against a rebellion started from abroad.
Spot on!

Old 09-20-2016, 07:37 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,814,595 times
Quote:
Because Obama gave in to the clammering from the Right and wanted to seem 'strong' on Foreign Policy.
Syria, and all of the Middle East, is a Tar-baby of ginormous proportions.

We should stay strictly neutral in all of that mess. I don't care about the 'Caliphate' or people living under Sharia law 5,000 miles away...I'm concerned that the Right-wing nut-jobs will end up being the tail that wags the dog.

My policy..would be one of strict containment--and free flow of oil---to us.

People get the Govt. they deserve...both in the world at large--and here in the US.
So who are those right-wing nut-jobs he gave in to?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
Please explain, what interests exactly.
OK...a fair enough request.

I don't have to tell you about the history of the region, I assume. I'll just recap...at the end of the Cold War, The former Soviet Union..Russia...lost most of their client-states..at one time the USSR had a good part of Africa sewed up...or in serious play.
Syria was always USSR's best friend in the region--but the relationship got rusty...until Putin saw the opportunity to re-assert dominance in the region and become, once again, a player. Also, as this Islam vs The West dynamic continues, the value of a Islamic country being controlled by Moscow can't be over-stated. It fits with Russia's long-term strategic interests in an obvious way.
After all, the US has Saudi Arabia..and Turkey---and Israel!

Putin just wants to be in a position that looks after Russia's interests. In a lot of ways..it seems attractive to let Russia do our dirty work for us--except Putin is no fool, and would be impossible to control.

Our country is not beyond making hard points--during the Bosnian conflict--we 'accidently' dropped a 500lb bomb in the courtyard of the Chinese Embassy.

Perhaps Putin should stop whining...and re-assess his opponent.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
So who are those right-wing nut-jobs he gave in to?
Uhhhh..didn't use the term 'Nutjobs'--and wouldn't.... as there were, and still are, some pretty smart people convinced that going into Syria was the right idea...and the only thing that went wrong..is that we didn't commit 150,000 troops.

When I say 'gave-in'..it's because Obama was on the record as being very hesitant to get involved in Syria--in fact..Clinton, as Sec. of State...was more hawkish than Obama was.

Polls showed that a lot of American's wanted 'something' done--so Obama caved--instead of going with his correct

inclination--IMHO.

My ref. to nut-jobs had to do with the Alt/right..right....right...."ditto"....right

Old 09-21-2016, 04:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
OK...a fair enough request.

I don't have to tell you about the history of the region, I assume. I'll just recap...at the end of the Cold War, The former Soviet Union..Russia...lost most of their client-states..at one time the USSR had a good part of Africa sewed up...or in serious play.
Syria was always USSR's best friend in the region--but the relationship got rusty...until Putin saw the opportunity to re-assert dominance in the region and become, once again, a player. Also, as this Islam vs The West dynamic continues, the value of a Islamic country being controlled by Moscow can't be over-stated. It fits with Russia's long-term strategic interests in an obvious way.
After all, the US has Saudi Arabia..and Turkey---and Israel!

Putin just wants to be in a position that looks after Russia's interests. In a lot of ways..it seems attractive to let Russia do our dirty work for us--except Putin is no fool, and would be impossible to control.

Our country is not beyond making hard points--during the Bosnian conflict--we 'accidently' dropped a 500lb bomb in the courtyard of the Chinese Embassy.

Perhaps Putin should stop whining...and re-assess his opponent.
The one spread so thin that at best all we can do is tread water in second rate countries?

Old 09-21-2016, 12:30 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Remind us. Why did we go into Syria?
IWISH I COULD ANSWER, BUT ITS NOT ON THE LIST YET... 1887 Hawaii Navy gains right to build permanent naval base at Pearl Harbor.

Quote:
2001 Afghanistan Air attacks and ground operations oust Taliban government and install a new regime.

2003 Iraq Invasion with large ground, air and naval forces ousts government of Saddam Hussein and establishes new government.

2003-present Iraq Occupation force of 150,000 troops in protracted counter-insurgency war

2004 Haiti Marines land. CIA-backed forces overthrow President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

https://www.globalpolicy.org/us-mili...ion/26024.html

Old 09-21-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
IWISH I COULD ANSWER, BUT ITS NOT ON THE LIST YET... 1887 Hawaii Navy gains right to build permanent naval base at Pearl Harbor.

https://www.globalpolicy.org/us-mili...ion/26024.html
needed to add..
Quote:
1893 Hawaii Marines and other naval forces land and overthrow the monarchy. Read More | President Cleveland's Message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Remind us. Why did we go into Syria?

why would we not be in syria... this might help...
Quote:
“If any State invokes the excuse of counter-terrorism in order to be present on Syrian territory without the consent of the Syrian Government whether on the country’s land or in its airspace or territorial waters, its action shall be considered a violation of Syrian sovereignty.”

Yet still, upon the adoption of UNSC Resolution 2249 last Friday, US Deputy Representative to the United Nations Michele Sison insisted that “in accordance with the UN Charter and its recognition of the inherent right of individual and collective self-defense,” the US would use “necessary and proportionate military action” in Syria.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/323396-unsc-isis-syria-us/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies