Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:53 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,283,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
...actively working to unlearn it...
Hey, I'm racing toward death one day at a time, is that good enough for ya? What do the quoted words above actually MEAN?

Old 09-23-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
...all they have to do is pass legislation...
Oh, why don't you give us a rough draft of what this legislation might look like.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:00 AM

371 posts, read 426,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Hey, I'm racing toward death one day at a time, is that good enough for ya? What do the quoted words above actually MEAN?
First you have to understand your privledge. Then you have to use your privledge to go into spaces where blacks or other people of color are not allowed to go in order to spread the discourse of inclusion and anti racism. If someone says a racist joke politely respond, "I don't get it, can you explain it to me." When someone says the n word in an all white setting, don't be silent, because silence is affirmation.

Privledge is that you are born into a society with certain traits and you have access to certain spaces where your voice will be heard that others do not. For example a man speaking on sexism has more of an impact when speaking to other men than a woman. Take that example and apply it to race.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
...go into spaces where blacks or other people of color are not allowed to go...
Huh? I'm not a country club sort of person, so I have no idea what you mean.
Quote:
If someone says a racist joke politely respond, "I don't get it, can you explain it to me."
I'm not much for racist jokes but then again it's probably been years since I heard one in person.
Quote:
When someone says the n word in an all white setting...
Never happens. I mean, maybe in high school which ended over 23 years ago.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,043,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Most posts discussing racism essentially boil down to all white people are racists.

Quit blaming others for your failures.
The title of this thread is completely and thoroughly incorrect and misleading click bait. The OP does NOT want discourse, that much is clear.
It's a one sided rant clearly saying "all you white people are racist and I won't listen to anything different".

So, how is that discourse?

Old 09-23-2016, 10:16 AM

35,742 posts, read 21,105,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I do believe America is and can be systematically racist. I don't think it has a significant impact on black people's ability to succeed. I also believe that there is white privilege. I just don't think it has any impact on black people's ability to succeed. I do think black people need to try a whole lot harder to get at the same level as white people in most cases. However, I do think black people can usually get there if they apply themselves hard enough.

I do think black people has let racism be our excuse for way too long. Yeah racism is out there, and yes society can be quite unfair as a result of it. This doesn't mean that a black person with enough drive and determination can't succeed. I would like to think I'm a very successful black professional. And I honestly am only succeessful because I spent so much time worrying about being the best at what I do, and not racism. Hell if someone did want to look down on me because I am black, that made me want to try even harder.

People are going to be racist, people who run the government and this country are going to be racist. That is why we need to get to a free market where racism basically become irrelevant. The only reason why racism can be relevant or powerful is because we give central authorities the ability to pick winners and losers. Let's let the market pick the winners and losers.

Why do you need enough DRIVE? Why cant people just be accepted for their raw talent? You know how many millionaires of color- TV people- actors- Doctors etc. have been stopped and profiled? or rejected because of skin color?? not just black- this goes into Latino and Asian as well

Do not minimize what happens in America in 2016-- even women can tell you that-- just read 1/2 the post RIGHT here!!
people have ignorant issues - and I don't care as long as they keep them to themselves and not let it spill out like toxic vomit into the lives of others. I have seen ugly prejudice-- NOT acceptable- as a woman - yea I still have to fight harder- should NOT be so.!!

Old 09-23-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Oh, why don't you give us a rough draft of what this legislation might look like.
They can start with a 1:1 law making it illegal for any institution--education, housing, healthcare--to have disparities (or proof of closing disparities) in between the races that they provide services to. For example if the honors and so classes in high school are 99% white, break it up, make them reflect the demographics of the school. If there are disparities in suspension rates in black vs white students make it 1:1. If there are disparities in who becomes hallway patrols, break it up.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:18 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,839,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Should that extend to hateful black people as well? Hate is hate regardless of who the source is.
Yes, it should extend to hateful black people as well. I personally do not associate myself with any sort of hate speak against any demographic or group of people. Generalizations undermine the fact that we are all of the human race and share many common, human experiences on a personal level.

Hate distorts reality IMO and distracts us as a nation especially from targeting and tackling specific issues. Hate interrupts and distorts. It doesn't matter who it comes from, including if it comes from black people. Just like whites should call out the hateful amongst your group and not stand for suck hatespeak, black people should do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Call me hard headed, but I'm not going to listen to anyone who uses the word 'all' to describe an entire race - black or white.
And you shouldn't listen to them with any seriousness. But I do think we need to be aware of these people and know that their goal is disruption and chaos and we should not fall for their evil games and schemes.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:20 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,619,709 times
Quote:
All I want to hear from a white person is that they understand their racism and recognize their privledge and they are actively working to unlearn it, if you're not saying that then you don't have permission to speak to me.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The title of this thread is completely and thoroughly incorrect and misleading click bait. The OP does NOT want discourse, that much is clear.
It's a one sided rant clearly saying "all you white people are racist and I won't listen to anything different".

So, how is that discourse?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6zPtpRrpU-g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies