Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:44 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh okay. Thank you.
Do you already own a Walther or are you just trying to decide on a home defense firearm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 08:44 AM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,250 times
We'll soon learn that they were going door to door to solicit funds for a college education, as they were trying to turn their lives around. They rang the doorbell, the racist lady who'd seen them through the window, said, "Come in." They entered and were shot by the racist woman.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:47 AM

I know all we have is a short B&W video to go from but there seems to be some other questions that need to be answered...

Who has multiple security cameras in their home recording like that all the time, what's in all those boxes and why were those guys trying to steal them? I'm not defending those thieves at all but it sure looked like they had a plan. Common home invaders don't run in packs of 3 with everyone carrying a gun, those guys were looking for something they knew was in that house and that Asian lady knew someone might want something in that house one day bad enough to invest in a lot of security for it...

Just my observation.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:50 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Do you already own a Walther or are you just trying to decide on a home defense firearm?
I have a walther right now, I am pretty happy about it. but I am wondering what is a better one for home defense. (but maybe there is no BETTER one like you said, it is all about confidence and training) I want to get another one (still deciding which one)

I read an article online says that

Rifle rounds run the risk of penetrating through walls and causing collateral damage. Shotgun buckshot or birdshot are great home defense rounds, so the "expert" seems to recommend a handgun because user can maneuver around tight corners more easily than with a long gun. So the expert recommends Glock 34.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:52 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
I know all we have is a short B&W video to go from but there seems to be some other questions that need to be answered...

Who has multiple security cameras in their home recording like that all the time, what's in all those boxes and why were those guys trying to steal them? I'm not defending those thieves at all but it sure looked like they had a plan. Common home invaders don't run in packs of 3 with everyone carrying a gun, those guys were looking for something they knew was in that house and that Asian lady knew someone might want something in that house one day bad enough to invest in a lot of security for it...

Just my observation.
I think maybe this lady is a business owner. Those boxes seem like the store supplies. I agree that these thieves seem to have a plan. This is not some random home invasion. They perhaps knew that this asian lady was some kind of business owner.

It looks like this asian lady was not at all surprised, perhaps similar things happened to her before.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:56 AM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,250 times
Quote:
I'm not defending those thieves at all but it sure looked like they had a plan. Common home invaders don't run in packs of 3 with everyone carrying a gun
Sometimes they're in packs of five, all armed. Look up "Fremont home invasion" which I think took place a month ago or so. And yes, I agree that they knew what they were after.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
I think maybe this lady is a business owner. Those boxes seem like the store supplies. I agree that these thieves seem to have a plan. This is not some random home invasion. They perhaps knew that this asian lady was some kind of business owner.

It looks like this asian lady was not at all surprised, perhaps similar things happened to her before.
That was my thought as well, and I doubt it was Amway in those boxes.

Looking forward to learning more.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:03 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
I think maybe this lady is a business owner. Those boxes seem like the store supplies. I agree that these thieves seem to have a plan. This is not some random home invasion. They perhaps knew that this asian lady was some kind of business owner. It looks like this asian lady was not at all surprised, perhaps similar things happened to her before

I agree. People that know where these business owners live (mostly Asian), get followed a lot whether they keep the stash at home or at the bank. A few days ago there was a deadly home invasion. Two brothers scuffled with the perps and one of the brothers ended up dead. Very sad.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:09 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
I have a walther right now, I am pretty happy about it. but I am wondering what is a better one for home defense. (but maybe there is no BETTER one like you said, it is all about confidence and training) I want to get another one (still deciding which one)

Rifle rounds run the risk of penetrating through walls and causing collateral damage. Shotgun buckshot or birdshot are great home defense rounds, so the "expert" seems to recommend a handgun because user can maneuver around tight corners more easily than with a long gun. So the expert recommends Glock 34.
This would be better discussed in the guns & hunting forum. But the answer to your question is, the best gun for self defense is one that you can consistently hit your target with. A hit with a 9mm is far better than a miss with a .45

Old 09-23-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I practice with my handgun at least 3 times a week, every week. My wife is also very comfortable with handguns and she shoots with me often. Our first and primary line of defense is still a home defense shotgun, 12ga. I live in a rural area and I'm not really worried about penetrating walls other than into other bedrooms in our home. If someone kicks in a door here they're going to get a face full of buck shot long before they get any handgun rounds, it's just a whole lot quicker and easier in the dark in a high pressure situation. 12ga buck shot will fill a stairway pretty well, it's difficult to miss at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies