Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 05:22 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Which European country supplies the EU with bananas and pineapples ?
The tomatoes I ate yesterday came from Israel as did the avocado.
I had a wonderful apple last week imported from South Africa.I don't like oranges but I could have had one from there too.
And everyone likes a steak too - you'd be surprised how much of it eaten in the UK comes from Africa and Brazil.
The large majority of imports come from Ireland which at this late date has yet to be resolved. I would have hoped that they would have at least thought out how they will address Ireland and France as they are neighbors.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:59 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The large majority of imports come from Ireland which at this late date has yet to be resolved. I would have hoped that they would have at least thought out how they will address Ireland and France as they are neighbors.
How can the UK address anything until the withdrawal agreement is addressed? The UK can't reasonably negotiate trade agreements until it knows whether it's part of the EU customs union or not, if it is it can't negotiate trade agreements outside of the union, if not then yes it will need to negotiate, but France and Ireland can't negotiate trade agreements with the UK outside of the customs union, the UK would need to negotiate with the EU.

I'd also like to know where the areas of Ireland are that grow bananas and pineapples.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:11 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

I'd also like to know where the areas of Ireland are that grow bananas and pineapples.
You beat me to it.
On another related aspect of this there's much alarm in Ireland that the cost of their chips/fries are going to rise in a no-deal Brexit.
It's a little known fact the the land of the spud imports quite a lot of potatoes from the UK,a lot in the form of frozen chips used in takeaways.
Apparently spuds grown in Ireland are not great for making chips.
And in another related aspect I know of no-one in my circle of friends or acquaintances in Ireland who cares much for the thought of a united Ireland or who really give much of a toss about the border.
They're aware that if the Irish prime minister says the UK,EU and Ireland will have to get together to prevent a hard border in the event of a no-deal Brexit it's perfectly possible to do this without the need for a backstop in the first place.
Which he said last week.
This backstop " problem ",dreamed up by the EU and willingly taken on board by their useful idiot Leo Varadkar,is fooling no-one.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:25 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
So, Roscoe, what do your circle of Irish friends and acquaintances propose as a solution to the border issue after Brexit?

Old 01-31-2019, 06:40 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So, Roscoe, what do your circle of Irish friends and acquaintances propose as a solution to the border issue after Brexit?
The border was never an issue since the formation of the Irish Republic. It need not be an issue now, unless people want to make it an issue, and they are.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As the DUP rightly pointed out, 50,000 British troops and Royal Ulster Constabulary couldn't secure the border, if Europe wants to try then be our guest, although I would suggest the Europeans stock up on supplies of body bags.

However do consider that walls run through the centre of Irish cities such as Belfast, and that it's best not reignite old wounds which is what the EU risk doing.

Peace lines - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-31-2019 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 06:52 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
How can the UK address anything until the withdrawal agreement is addressed? The UK can't reasonably negotiate trade agreements until it knows whether it's part of the EU customs union or not, if it is it can't negotiate trade agreements outside of the union, if not then yes it will need to negotiate, but France and Ireland can't negotiate trade agreements with the UK outside of the customs union, the UK would need to negotiate with the EU.

Yes it needs to be negotiated but what is their long term plan for the border with Ireland, no customs or tariffs. What does the UK want in a perfect world, an open border with Ireland.

I would expect trade outside the EU would ba unaffected as far as things like bananas but I assume the British consume other things.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:55 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Which European country supplies the EU with bananas and pineapples ?
The tomatoes I ate yesterday came from Israel as did the avocado.
I had a wonderful apple last week imported from South Africa.I don't like oranges but I could have had one from there too.
And everyone likes a steak too - you'd be surprised how much of it eaten in the UK comes from Africa and Brazil.

They are kings at hyperbole and fallacious argument. In this case it's Trump derangement being projected onto BRexit.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:57 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
How can the UK address anything until the withdrawal agreement is addressed? The UK can't reasonably negotiate trade agreements until it knows whether it's part of the EU customs union or not, .....
It's no longer an issue. Parliament decided 2 days ago, that they will not be part of the customs union by rejecting the backstop. This is what has changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes it needs to be negotiated but what is their long term plan for the border with Ireland, no customs or tariffs. What does the UK want in a perfect world, an open border with Ireland. I would expect trade outside the EU would ba unaffected as far as things like bananas but I assume the British consume other things.
I'd advise looking at what I just said. The backstop is history, there will be a hard border. What remains now, is how the UK exits the EU with this decision made. The rest is fear mongering nonsense much like we see from your side in the USA.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:00 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
The border was never an issue since the formation of the Irish Republic. It need not be an issue now, unless people want to make it an issue, and they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
As the DUP rightly pointed out, 50,000 British troops and Royal Ulster Constabulary couldn't enforce a hard border, if Europe wants to try then be our guest, although I would suggest the Europeans stock up on supplies of body bags.

So is there a plan that does not involve body bags?

What's to be done about the Polish plumbers and Romanian riffraff? Will they be allowed to just wander in and out as they please?

What about inspections and tariffs, going to just turn a blind eye to all that at the Irish border?

What's the plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies