Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 10:36 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think people actually are as uninformed as we think they are.

My stepdaughter, age 50, missed Abraham Lincoln's birth year by 100 years. (I said 1819 and she tried to correct me by claiming 1919) and thought that slavery was "back in the 30's sometime".

She is a mortgage broker who will make $100,000 this year.

I ran into one of her old teachers last year who remembered my stepdaughter as a "good student".
People forget I guess. I loved history, so I remember things, but have me do an algebra equation and I don't remember much about it. The last math class I took was nearly 30 years ago, and the only math I do now is simple accounting math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This is the most amazing claim in the article:

Has it really gotten to the point that Jefferson is known more as a slave owner than as a president and founding father?
Yes.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Slavery is only a small fraction of our history. My son took AP history too. Slavery wasn't a part of that. Honestly, why are you leaving it up to teachers. Parents are the first educators. Teach you children and not leave it up to others
I never leave it up to the teachers (except for math, not my best subject ). All I was saying is many people either aren't learning or aren't paying attention. These are the kids who know more about the Kardashians than they do about who the Vice President is. Kids are way less informed in this Information Age than they were when the baby boomers were their age. Of course, they had a really good reason to be interested in politics since many were dying in Vietnam.

I'm generalizing, not saying anything about your son or my daughter, who both seem to be interested in the topic. My daughter is thinking of majoring in history now after that class. Before she wanted to work in the healthcare field.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:05 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
This thread reminds me of the story we discussed here back in March about a Latin club that did a skit about slavery in ancient Rome. Some black parents at the school were livid.
Quote:
Barrington School District said sorry.
“The Barrington School District offers sincere apologies to those offended by a skit our high school Latin students conducted at the Illinois Junior Classical Convention in Itasca this weekend,” a statement posted to the school’s Facebook page said. “Their depiction of slavery as it was practiced by ancient Greeks and Romans unintentionally but understandably evoked strong emotions among a diverse audience. We agree with the concern and are reviewing the incident with students and staff who were involved.”
It may not even be possible now in American public schools to educate students about the history of slavery in a world context. Blacks seems to have claimed complete ownership of the topic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-ancient-rome/

Old 11-01-2016, 11:06 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
On the subject of slavery, it is also abhorrent that students are taught to worship President Lincoln, who brought our nation to civil war to enforce what was supposed to be a voluntary union--and wrote that he would have happily allowed slavery to continue if it preserved the Union. This President caused the death of three-quarters of a million Americans (Civil War Toll Up by 20 Percent in New Estimate - The New York Times), far more than died in all the other American wars combined.

And FYI, it is bizarre that we are so sensitive about slavery, when anyone who joins our military today becomes a modern-day slave, with no civil or human rights, and zero recourse if your military superior mandates you contribute money to his slush fund; sends you to the Brig for the 3-months you have in port before your next deployment because he "doesn't like the way you look," or orders you to do something that will inevitably cause your death (all of which happened to us or people we personally knew).

Old 11-01-2016, 11:07 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Why would anyone be surprised? Education and academia intentionally indoctrinate students to be anti-Western/anti-white. The other players involved in US history are presented as saints and victims. It's basically the mouthpiece and indoctrination centers of the Democrat party and group identity politics.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
You make statements like this while labeling other "barely educated"?
You are apparently claiming some knowldge of the situation and you don't know the southern slave was a field worker? That is an intelligent draft animal. And I suppose you can argue they did not pull loads. But their role was as mundane and as rewarding.

And they were neccessary to make the farming economy of the time and place work.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You are apparently claiming some knowldge of the situation and you don't know the southern slave was a field worker? That is an intelligent draft animal. And I suppose you can argue they did not pull loads. But their role was as mundane and as rewarding.

And they were neccessary to make the farming economy of the time and place work.
Yes, slaves worked in the fields in America. No, having slaves do this type of work was not America's "own variant" of slavery as you claimed.

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 11-02-2016 at 12:06 AM..

Old 11-01-2016, 11:46 PM

6,231 posts, read 3,611,336 times
What kind of education did these kids get in world history? That's where the problem lies. I don't think this is unique to the issue of slavery; a lot of people think many institutions began in or are unique to the United States that aren't.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:12 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Yes, slaves worked in the fields in America. No, having slaves do this type of work was not America's "own variant" of slavery as you claimed.
Do you have a point? Sure there were other places where slaves were field workers. Start with the Caribbean and South America. But that says our variant was not field workers?

You appear to think you have a point but I doubt it. That our variant was shared does not change our variant.

And you can also go off and point out that slaves in America did many other things. Which is true but not why they were worth fighting over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies