Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 09:42 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, we didn't get into this situation overnight. We won't get out of it overnight.
Trump said he'd bring the jobs back. I want Carrier back in the United States within his first 100 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 09:50 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times
I figure Trump could just blame Obama for everything wrong during his tenure like Obama did with Bush.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:51 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
here is the thing. you progs don't really get to ask these questions. because its your fault they are gone. your guy signed nafta, your guy had 8 years to fix the problem

you didn't do jackdiddly so stick it.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
here is the thing. you progs don't really get to ask these questions. because its your fault they are gone. your guy signed nafta, your guy had 8 years to fix the problem
NAFTA was a Republican idea. Free trade has ALWAYS been part of a conservative, economic policy agenda.

Quote:
Following diplomatic negotiations dating back to 1990 among the three nations, U.S. President George H. W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas, each responsible for spearheading and promoting the agreement, ceremonially signed the agreement in their respective capitals on December 17, 1992.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...rade_Agreement

Old 11-10-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I figure Trump could just blame Obama for everything wrong during his tenure like Obama did with Bush.
But we all know Trump is a better man than Obama. So how many steel factories are coming back to Western Pennsylvania? Trump promised.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:01 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You two are both way out of touch and know nothing about the blue collar or manufacturing sector. I'm pretty sure a boilermaker isn't flipping burgers. Like either of you could ever do their job. Pretty typical from the lefties though that tell their kids that every job should be in a cubicle...and now we have a bunch of whiny millennials that aren't happy.

If you want to actually learn instead of being a misinformed Hillary done read up on the Germany manufacturing sector :

Behind Germany's Success Story in Manufacturing - WSJ
I wouldn't consider a boilermaker to be a low-skilled position and the metal fabricators that I know (both the large outfits and the local guys working out of their own shops) are not suffering from a lack of work.

That article didn't teach me anything I didn't know and doesn't contradict my point. Germany hasn't succeeded by pursuing low end manufacturing that can be done in other countries cheaper. It has succeeded by making high tech and specialty goods.

That is not the same as "bringing back" most of the jobs that we have lost to Mexico, etc. That is creating new manufacturing that will in all likelihood leave behind many of the old manufacturing workers unless they increase their skill sets.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:08 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
I wouldn't consider a boilermaker to be a low-skilled position and the metal fabricators that I know (both the large outfits and the local guys working out of their own shops) are not suffering from a lack of work.

That article didn't teach me anything I didn't know and doesn't contradict my point. Germany hasn't succeeded by pursuing low end manufacturing that can be done in other countries cheaper. It has succeeded by making high tech and specialty goods.

That is not the same as "bringing back" most of the jobs that we have lost to Mexico, etc. That is creating new manufacturing that will in all likelihood leave behind many of the old manufacturing workers unless they increase their skill sets.
They are good paying jobs though that don't require a 4 year degree from a state school or for profit school. A pipefitter or boilermaker goes through an apprenticeship that has it's own schooling system within union halls. The loony lefties don't like jobs like that and think those people are beneath them that's why you see them talking smack on blue collar workers in large cities.

I'm not disagreeing on the type of manufacturing the US should lean on we really just need to emulate whatever Germany is doing. Assembly line type jobs or jobs that are mostly automated but require someone overseeing them are the the jobs that have been disappearing but even then there are still some out there.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:10 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,114 times
Millions of white blue collar Trump voters now expect him to bring back industrial factory jobs replaced by robotics since 1980's

They're expecting factories to spring up like dandelions? Good luck.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:18 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Millions of white blue collar Trump voters now expect him to bring back industrial factory jobs replaced by robotics since 1980's

They're expecting factories to spring up like dandelions? Good luck.
He never said that he wants to at least try to stabilize the sector so it doesn't get any worse than it already is. Jobs that were lost by automation can't be brought back. The sector has evolved though and there's still jobs there. How about not moving jobs to Mexico? That might be a good start.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:20 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,693,567 times
The idea of the return of manufacturing as it was prior to 1980 is a joke. There may be an increase in local manufacturing but those plants will heavily automated with few human workers. The day of a person working on an assembling line plunking part A into part B is over. Those good paying jobs with good benefits are long gone for most workers. This is one of the major problems of our day. Our society will always have a number of people who may be hard workers but are not capable of learning the highly technical skills required today.
One answer might be to have government or non-profit entities providing jobs requiring only minimum education/intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies