Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 01:14 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's truly ironic that self-identified "conservatives" are waiting for government (Trump) to help them out, isn't it?
You obviously haven't been paying attention. You know Ford is shipping 2,000 jobs to Mexico right?
In the mind of a lib.tard, that doesn't mean anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You obviously haven't been paying attention. You know Ford is shipping 2,000 jobs to Mexico right?
So how is Trump going to get those jobs back?

Carrier, for example, is moving to Mexico because they can pay workers there $3 per hour. In Indiana, Carrier had to pay $20 per hour. How is Trump going to force them to move their operations back to the United States?

Old 11-10-2016, 02:23 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
They are good paying jobs though that don't require a 4 year degree from a state school or for profit school. A pipefitter or boilermaker goes through an apprenticeship that has it's own schooling system within union halls. The loony lefties don't like jobs like that and think those people are beneath them that's why you see them talking smack on blue collar workers in large cities.

I'm not disagreeing on the type of manufacturing the US should lean on we really just need to emulate whatever Germany is doing. Assembly line type jobs or jobs that are mostly automated but require someone overseeing them are the the jobs that have been disappearing but even then there are still some out there.
What makes you think lefties think the trades are beneath them? We have the left to thank for the 40 hour work week, workmans comp and social security.......

Old 11-10-2016, 02:27 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
If you want government to stop capitalists from having the freedom to do what they want, that's liberal* not conservative*. Right?

The conservative thing to do is to blame the victims of those job losses and tell them to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

*by the contemporary definitions of those terms. It can be confusing because the term "neoliberalism" is often used for free-trade/globalization.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:32 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
I don't think we can get the back but we can CERTAINLY stop them from leaving and thats a step in the right direction.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:30 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I don't think we can get the back but we can CERTAINLY stop them from leaving and thats a step in the right direction.
How do you stop a company from leaving?

Old 11-10-2016, 03:41 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Can you tell me exactly how 45 will prevent big, greedy manufacturing concerns from moving their operations to other countries? It's just a matter of simple economics in my eyes. Cheap labor in poorer countries will always beat out overpriced labor in rich ones.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:43 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How do you stop a company from leaving?
Access to the market I suppose is some leverage. Good luck getting the US to help out with intellectual property laws or if China decides to start selling its own Coke TM.

Also getting the laws and regulations in line with trade partners will also help. I also don't think people understand that the US is cut off from these same markets.

China has trade barriers.

Understanding China's Trade Barriers

China rips off the US all the time by our standards. They ignore patent agreements and we are just supposed to carry on as if nothing happens ?

Old 11-10-2016, 03:46 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Can you tell me exactly how 45 will prevent big, greedy manufacturing concerns from moving their operations to other countries? It's just a matter of simple economics in my eyes. Cheap labor in poorer countries will always beat out overpriced labor in rich ones.
Impose very expensive tariffs/taxing to any jerk, greedy CEO/executive even THINKING about outsourcing their operations? Just like Trump has said he will do. And rip up these NAFTA deals

Old 11-10-2016, 03:54 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If you want government to stop capitalists from having the freedom to do what they want, that's liberal* not conservative*. Right?

The conservative thing to do is to blame the victims of those job losses and tell them to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

*by the contemporary definitions of those terms. It can be confusing because the term "neoliberalism" is often used for free-trade/globalization.
Free trade, a loaded term, is classical liberalism. That's where it originates. Its obviously sound with absolute advantages like coconuts being grown in the tropics. Comparative advantages is also good when the arrangement can be trusted.

Neoclassical trade does not seem to care about national security risks , or maintaining an industrial base( as if once the trade partner drives the competition out of business it will not become a monopoly). Its as if they think a sports team should import practice , and only play when its an actual game. Patent protection isn't free trade. Its a protected market to allow an industry to develop.

Neoliberal trade does not care if trade is subsidized by the military, uses prison labor or pollutes... The US uses trade embargo as a weapon all the time , and yet, the so called economist never ceases to explain how free trade always makes economic sense. The British cut off our tea, twice. Hitchhiking makes economic sense too. I encourage neoclassical economists to economize . After all , bad ideologies often go away one funeral at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies