Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 07:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times

Advertisements

Who is willing to pay the markup for American made?

Look at Levis.
100% American made 501s cost $159.00 from the Levis site.
Not American made 501s cost $39.95 at Macys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 07:33 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm just telling you the demographics.

The rural folks are generational farmers who have little to no interest in learning skills to work in a factory.
That's not entirely true.

I lived in a small town in rural northwestern Pennsylvania for four years back in the late 1990s. Many (or most) of those folks worked in small manufacturing plants in the larger towns. Some of them lived on the family farm and tried to keep it going for (mainly) emotional reasons, but very few could make a living by farming alone. Manufacturing was key to the survival of the area.

I can't image what the area is like now, but I'm willing to bet that meth and heroin are the main "industries."

Old 11-10-2016, 07:36 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Look at Levis.
I buy a pair of jeans and they last me 2 to 3 years. I'll take the American made one's if it means we are putting Americans back to work and we are becoming a stronger nation.

The bottom line is we can not continue to be the consumer hogs of the world.

At some point, the party is over.

And when that happens, we will have NOTHING to stand on. Completely dependent on others to bail us out.

Everything goes full circle. We won't be using our welfare check to purchase Walmart checkout goods.

It's a good thing.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:37 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
do you know how much apple pays its factory workers? $1.50 american an hour.

good luck with your wishful thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I want an American-made Zenith television!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
it's not going to increase from $1.5/hr in labor to $20/$30/hr (if you include benefits) for labor. No one is going to be able to afford your made in america items.

like i said, good luck with your wishful thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Look at Levis.
You're talking about basic consumer electronics and clothing no one expects that to come back.

The Hillary supporters just want to see the country and Trump fail because they lost an election. So typical of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So you're pro union now?
Most Trump supporters are that's partially why he won.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:40 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I lived in a small town in rural northwestern Pennsylvania for four years back in the late 1990s. Many of those folks worked in small manufacturing plants in the larger towns. Some of them lived on the family farm and tried to keep it going for (mainly) emotional reasons, but very few could make a living by farming alone. Manufacturing was key to the survival of the area. I can't image what the area is like now, but I'm willing to bet that meth and heroin are the main "industries."
Meth, heroin, tool & dye if you're talking Meadville and Titusville.

But we are talking large scale somewhat skilled manufacturing coming in...if that's what Trump is talking about.

The workforce isn't there in ability or numbers to go it alone. Outsiders would have to come in.

They just shut down the 3rd shift at the GM plant in Lordstown yesterday. That place has 1/5 of the workforce it had in the 70s.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I buy a pair of jeans and they last me 2 to 3 years. I'll take the American made one's if it means we are putting Americans back to work and we are becoming a stronger nation.

The bottom line is we can not continue to be the consumer hogs of the world.

At some point, the party is over.

And when that happens, we will have NOTHING to stand on. Completely dependent on others to bail us out.

Everything goes full circle. We won't be using our welfare check to purchase Walmart checkout goods.

It's a good thing.
Great, so you will only be buying the expensive ones from now on, right?
As for me, I have to buy jeans for my son twice a year or more due to growth, and I can't afford $160 per pair several times a year.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:43 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
This is obviously never going to happen. But the repubs will attempt to compensate for their inability to deliver in this area by playing up more strongly the cultural war stuff. Expect more Scalia clones on the Supreme Court, renewed attacks on Roe v Wade, affirmative action, church state separation and even the Voting Rights Act. They will calculate that these things will endear them to that rural base as a substitute for the manufacturing jobs that they wont bring back.
Yeah, I refer to those issues as "the usual suspects" to distract the useful whack-a-doodles. Add LGBT rights.

Some of Trump's voters don't want to hear about education and training. Yet, they want jobs that pay like 60,000/yr.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
The factories can come back. If draconian regulations are eliminated, Obamacare repealed, corporate tax rates reduced and overseas money repatriated then manufacturing will come back here. Eliminating shipping costs from overseas will help to make up for the wage differences.
Eliminating high wages would also help.

Oh wait...

Old 11-10-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You're talking about basic consumer electronics and clothing no one expects that to come back.

The Hillary supporters just want to see the country and Trump fail because they lost an election. So typical of them.

Most Trump supporters are that's partially why he won.
So exactly what manufacturing will be coming back?

Old 11-10-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
It is not just about wages. It is about our corporate tax rates, over regulation that strangles business and Obamacare. Our workers can compete with Mexicans any day on a level playing field.
That's absolutely true, as long as "a level playing field" means "making the same wages/benefits as Mexicans."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies