Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 03:04 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times

Advertisements

In China all college students are required to have a military training session. Typically it lasts 4 weeks, and real officers from military forces or seniors from some military academy will come to train the students.

It was tough sometimes. I recall a student was forced to run around a tree barefoot for being late. Many fainted when we stood under the sun for an hour. Verbal humiliation is normal, though nothing went physical. You cannot sleep tight at night because the whistle can blow anytime.

I think America can do the same for better self discipline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 04:40 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Would be the best thing this country ever did. Just look at these maladjusted, overweight and immature young people protesting about something most have no clue of. One girl (she was probably 5'2/200 lbs) suggested there would be bloodshed to get what they want. First off, who is going to shed their blood? I doubt she could climb a set of stairs without resting. These young people are lost. Their parents taught them nothing.

They do 2 years of military service and get 2 years of college in return.

US military is not interested nor wants a bunch of recruits of the lowest caliber. They been there and done that with disastrous results. As it stands nearly all branches (IIRC) have to turn away more than they accept due to this or that problem; these issues range from overweight/out of shape to criminal convictions and so forth. Then there was and still is the whole issue of gangs becoming a problem thanks in no small part to various members somehow getting into a branch of service.

Nearly 90% of high school graduates today would be out of the military faster than that fat girl failed out of the Citadel.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:04 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Won't happen. I'm too close to both an international border and a coast line
Aren't you special!?

Old 11-13-2016, 09:06 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No military draft ever. We the people are not slaves. Government doesn't own us.

Everyone who has posted about wanting this, when are you going to sign up?
First response in this thread: Went into the US Marines right out of HS, finished off my stint and then went off for University degrees. Both my sons are lifers in the Marines. So "Yes" I'm for it, but I think there should be something similar to the Israeli version. Treat it as something to be done at the county level and not the country level for most. Spend whatever time is needed in basic training (basically not much of a difference than going to summer camp). Be tested for qualifications and get placed as needed. Most go home on the weekends. At the end of the two years some become reservists and some don't and then there will be those who choose to be lifers. One thing for sure, we'll end up with a more mature youth than what we have in the US now.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:10 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Good, let every legislator who votes for such a thing be among the first class doing that service.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Good, let every legislator who votes for such a thing be among the first class doing that service.
If the children of Royals in England enter military service, then the children of US politicians should have no problem entering military service either.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:41 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If the children of Royals in England enter military service, then the children of US politicians should have no problem entering military service either.
I was rather surprised to learn of Prince Andrew flying actual combat missions in the Falkland Islands war in the 80s. Of course I knew the crown royals always did military time, but normally it was on a ship not exposed to combat (Prince Philip in WWII, of course, but that was WW freaking II, and he was a very minor royal at the time). Flying combat missions in a live war was something significant. And of course we've now seen Prince Harry in ground combat with kills on his record.

Would we see that these days of Americans? Nah.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I was rather surprised to learn of Prince Andrew flying actual combat missions in the Falkland Islands war in the 80s. Of course I knew the crown royals always did military time, but normally it was on a ship not exposed to combat (Prince Philip in WWII, of course, but that was WW freaking II, and he was a very minor royal at the time). Flying combat missions in a live war was something significant. And of course we've now seen Prince Harry in ground combat with kills on his record.

Would we see that these days of Americans? Nah.
If parents can't teach their kids to be grown up & If American Colleges/Universities are a extension of HS and they don't grow up there either then we have what we have now: A generation (or more than one) of cry babies. Maturity should hit in the early 20's and not in the late 20's. If parents and schools can't get it right, then it's time to raise it to the next level; The Military. If the Military can't do it then we're SOL as each generation is getting worse than the previous generation.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:23 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If parents can't teach their kids to be grown up & If American Colleges/Universities are a extension of HS and they don't grow up there either then we have what we have now: A generation (or more than one) of cry babies. Maturity should hit in the early 20's and not in the late 20's. If parents and schools can't get it right, then it's time to raise it to the next level; The Military. If the Military can't do it then we're SOL as each generation is getting worse than the previous generation.
No. As has been said, it's not the military's mission to fix society. It would also be incredibly expensive, nor would it necessarily even be successful--most veterans are not automatically ideal citizens.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No. As has been said, it's not the military's mission to fix society. It would also be incredibly expensive, nor would it necessarily even be successful--most veterans are not automatically ideal citizens.
Today's generation needs a reality check to how the world really. Them staying home being protected by their parents until they are around 30 doing no work or minimal work is not going to do it. Them going to college/university and returning home is not doing it. Then who is left?? It is really annoying dealing with 30 year old rugrats.

My kids were taught to be responsible starting at their first teen year for whatever. They were told that when they hit 18 or graduated HS that they needed to be working on living independent of home. Thus they were given the choice of getting a real job, continuing their education or going to the Military. One went to the Military directly and is a lifer with a family stationed in the mainland US and the other chose to continue his education, finished it, couldn't find a career paying enough to be independent and joined the Military and has been stationed in Hawaii. Both have been to Iraq/Afghanistan. They know what the reality of the world is and are not part of these crybabies rioting/protesting because they are upset that the person who won the US Democratic elections is not the person they voted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies