Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 09:45 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Perhaps my post wasn't clear, but I will never honor this civic duty. Try and make me. I dare you.
Not my job to make you.
But your consent to be a citizen, and the exercise of government privileges, makes you a person liable for obedience. Failure to obey when called upon may be punished to the full extent of the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 09:47 AM

13 posts, read 5,666 times
Think of it as security to our nation and a good way to purge the liberal tendencies.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:47 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,094 times
I work with college aged students everyday. They're really not that bad. Unless all you do is trigger yourself by watching Fox news and reading The Blaze all day. Good lord, calm down people. Of course there will be very loud and liberal ones, but there are also a lot of other students that make up the silent majority that care more about solving their differential equation problems than creating a safe space.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:48 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Then, why don't you tell us.
You could just Google it.

I have a close friend that was frequently molested by his military officer stepfather. He did serve in two wars, but I can't say I think of him as much of a man.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:48 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
If any of you want to force other people to do anything, why don't you do it yourself? Go to these kids' homes who you think need to be toughened up and PERSONALLY force them to sign up.

Would you feel justified in doing that, or does it not count if you have the government do it for you?
I'd rather pay taxes and bark out edicts from the safety of my la-z-boy recliner.

I'm my own personal Jesus.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:51 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Obviously would need a separate program for civilians and then the real military. But exercise, pre college classes along with more exercise, healthy diet and discipline. Teach them to keep their big mouths shut when adults are talking.
You want to use the government to force people to eat healthy food and exercise?

I thought Michelle Obamas' program was unpopular. Who knew?

Old 11-13-2016, 09:52 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Including women too? So what does an under 5 feet, 100 lbs. 18 year old woman DO in the Military? She would have a difficult time even driving a truck without a booster seat. Geesch.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:54 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The economics of such a thing are absolutely ludicrous."

What is it costing us now?

Student loans NOT being paid back. How much does that cost us a year?

Kids unable to get a job. welfare, food stamps, housing etc.

It seems we ALWAYS have money for THESE programs but, CANNOT find the money to STOP the problems BEFORE they happen.
Military service does not solve any of those problems. Veterans are unable to find jobs, are on welfare, are on foodstamps, are homeless.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:55 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
I have three adorable little nephews and One God son whom I love very much.

Honestly, I think military training will be good for them in the future. If they choose to be professional military men, it will be their choice. I have no opinion anyway.

I think wars will be fought very differently in the future. I DO believe to a certain degree, military service will turn a boy to a man, well, for the boys with the right mindset. But it is not for everybody. I think military service should be an individual decision and choice.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:56 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Well it will be probably the only way they will learn any discipline. Obviously their parents didn't instill any in them. I mean look at these clowns on TV
Only a very small proportion of Americans have ever been in the military. Even in WWII, the total proportion was only 14% who had ever served during the war. So it was never military service that made the difference...

...except maybe with national leadership. As I said before, I wouldn't mind making service a prerequisite for federal elected or appointed positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies