Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 11:30 AM

1,850 posts, read 820,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
It all comes down to money with conservatives.....those who have money deserve to live, those who don't deserve to die.
It all comes down to money with liberals. Only they never have any. So they do whatever they want and then demand that other people fix their mistakes with their money.

Quote:
Does this mean you are pro-choice if a fetus has defects that will cost tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars in medical care over its lifetime if it is brought to term?
Actually, if a fetus will cost hundreds of millions of dollars in medical care, it typically doesn't need to be aborted. Fail again.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:31 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So you advocate an inflation tax that will disproportionately harm the poor the most. You're just trading in one unequal system for another, because you fail to understand and accept the fact that there are no equal outcomes.
New money creation to support the poor and middle class with their HC is to me the most sensible of modern money usage. And education.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:32 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
but they do pay less than old people b/c they use the system less...that's not in dispute...
Only marginally. A lot of young people still have pretty high premiums even when they don't use it.

People that aren't overweight don't pay less than obese people. Also single men use it less than anyone yet we're still forced to pay more... I'm not popping out any babies that I can't afford.

The system is bs and takes advantage of people such as myself. I know guys like Obama wouldn't have it any other way though.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:32 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
So, more government and you "pay" for it by spending money you don't have and printing money? You should live your personal life according to these sound financial tenets.
I'm debt free. Our sovereign gov't can create money, I cannot.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM

1,850 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
How do we deal with scenarios such as the following as we're disassembling the health care system and re-building it?

You've been an employee of a firm for 15-plus years and have been paying the premiums for your employer-sponsored family health insurance plan the entire time. You and and your family are all healthy when you enroll, and then one previously healthy family member begins having health troubles and is ultimately diagnosed with autoimmune disease. DNA tests reveal that there is a genetic component, but the proximal cause is unknown. Treatment goes well but must continue for several years to ensure remission at an annual cost of about $25k, which is well more than a middle class family can reasonably afford, but, hey, you've been paying your premiums for fifteen years, so your should be good, right? Two years into the treatment protocol, you find out that you are being down-sized in a corporation-wide reorganization. Your employer-sponsored health care coverage will end. Where do you go now? What protection do you have that your family member's condition will not stand in the way of new coverage without the provision in the Affordable Care Act, if indeed the new administration succeeds in overturning the legislation?
Notice how he takes great pains to say a "previously healthy" person gets sick with "a genetic" disease of "unknown cause" just as someone is fired?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if liberals spent as much time working as they did in trying to come up with impossible scenarios that never occur, they'd be much better off.

P.S. The answer is that you continue to pay for your own insurance via COBRA. Which means you pay for it out of pocket. Which means you pay money. Which means I don't. See how simple life is?

Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Have them quit smoking and/or lose weight and get fit. Then insurance can cover their health care. Until then, they pay for their own medical care costs. There's no reason others should be forced to pay for the results of anyone else's own poor decisions.

If they don't need medical care to treat a lung problem as a result of their smoking, why would we? That makes no sense.

What about poor choices like taking unnecessary risks with your health, like riding a motorcycle, driving on bald tires, skydiving, skiing, playing contact sports, horseback riding, etc.?

Why should I have to pay more for my insurance because your poor choices made you a quadriplegic?

Where do you draw the line on poor choices?

Oh, I know, we draw the line at poor choices YOU don't make.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
New money creation to support the poor and middle class with their HC is to me the most sensible of modern money usage. And education.
That very same new money creation imposes an invisible inflation tax that harms the poor and middle class the most. How do you not understand that?

Old 12-19-2016, 11:38 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
What about poor choices like taking unnecessary risks with your health, like riding a motorcycle, driving on bald tires, skydiving, skiing, playing contact sports, horseback riding, etc.?

Why should I have to pay more for my insurance because your poor choices made you a quadriplegic?

Where do you draw the line on poor choices?

Oh, I know, we draw the line at poor choices YOU don't make.
Exactly. Those people should all have to pay more. Including women that have children out of wedlock. If you have a child out of wedlock your premium should shoot up immediately.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:39 AM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
I will readily admit that I know very little about how things like this work. With that said, here's my way of "fixing" what is wrong.
  • All insurance carriers MUST accept pre-existing conditions.
  • All carriers must allow anyone to be covered by anyone. e.g. if someone wants to cover their mother or 35 year old "child" they should be able to.
  • All carriers should be allowed to insure anyone all over the US i.e across state lines. Competition?
  • Some type of cost regulations on medical suppliers and pharmaceutical companies.
  • Abolish the "no insurance tax penalty."
  • The truly indigent would be covered by medicaid. *

IMHO if all of the above were implemented I believe costs of insurance would go down and there would be no need for a mandate. It sounds so simple to me that I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

* The number of employed people in the US is around 144,000,000. If each person were taxed $10 a month ($120) a year, that would put $17,280,000,000 per year in the medicaid coffers for the truly indigent.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Notice how he takes great pains to say a "previously healthy" person gets sick with "a genetic" disease of "unknown cause" just as someone is fired?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if liberals spent as much time working as they did in trying to come up with impossible scenarios that never occur, they'd be much better off.

P.S. The answer is that you continue to pay for your own insurance via COBRA. Which means you pay for it out of pocket. Which means you pay money. Which means I don't. See how simple life is?
I didn't have to take pains to create a scenario. This is happening to my family right now. I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease four years ago, and my husband was laid off about a month ago, just after he committed to the premium health care plan, which obligates us to extremely high COBRA payments. I have responded well to on-going treatment, but I have a year or more left before I can be weaned off the drugs, which run about $25k/yr. My husband fortunately has a job offer on the table that will allow us to transition to a new insurance policy before the next administration has an opportunity to overturn the AFA and do away with the pre-existing condition protection.

My overall point is that we are setting families up for hardship by relying on employer subsidies to make insurance available and affordable. That works great until the pink slips arrive. We need to untether insurance from employment, and that's been the case for many years, but it's especially important today. I do not know how to fix the problems with the AFA, but I can say that what our family has experienced is not that unusual. If you've never been faced with a similar health crisis, thank your lucky stars.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-19-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies