Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 01:06 AM

6,574 posts, read 6,743,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The Left has been proclaiming that white identity preservation, not actual privilege or supremacy, just preservation is "racism". Think and chew on that.
Good insight....and they have been doing it with glee & a boot to the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 04:54 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL on the bold, you honestly believe that the sociologically invented term "white privilege" is a racist phrase? In what way are white inferior/superior as a whole based on someone saying that "white privilege" exist. I am not all that into the sociological concept of "white privilege" but I do know that it does not mean that all white people are "better" than other groups of people just because they are white.
Yep, the concept of white privilege by no means implies that white people are racist. It's simply a statement of what invisible advantages in the limited scope of race by being white. It's up to the individual to decide what to do with it. There are many types of privilege in the U.S.: American, upperish class, white, male (and in a few cases, female), Christian, straight, cisgender, able-bodied, without a medical condition, and being a local, to name a few. People are generally narcissists though and don't care if they aren't affected and make lots of noise if they are.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:06 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Yep, the concept of white privilege by no means implies that white people are racist. It's simply a statement of what invisible advantages in the limited scope of race by being white. It's up to the individual to decide what to do with it. There are many types of privilege in the U.S.: American, upperish class, white, male (and in a few cases, female), Christian, straight, cisgender, able-bodied, without a medical condition, and being a local, to name a few. People are generally narcissists though and don't care if they aren't affected and make lots of noise if they are.
When politicians start bringing something up you can bet it won't be long before the individual cannot decide what to do with it.

The left really no longer likes the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Nah, I generally respect your posts. But, you are starting to sound a bit hysterical.

Listen......this was a legal maneuver on Trumps part.

I get that it sounds racist. There are certainly ways to make it sound racist.

Trumps goal is to win, not to be a racist.

The difference between Trump and you and me is if he wins, he doesn't care if he sounds racist.

Not saying that's the greatest thing in the world, but he is a pragmatist, not an ideologist.

That's the primary reason I voted for him.

The surest path to equality is economic success. I don't care if he's a racist if he is able to improve the economy and women and minorities benefit from that.

Just like I don't care that I am laughing all the way to the bank, having achieved equality in the form of economic success from white males who were chauvinistic pigs in some regards(not all, but enough). I never set out to use white privilege, intellectual privilege, attractiveness privilege, etc. I didn't need that lol. But, if white males needed it to promote me into positions of power and economic privilege, who cares.

I am a pragmatist for the most part myself. And, that is why I voted for Trump.

Another reason I have no use for SJW. Really, you are lobbying for history to be called herstory? Get your ass out there and do something to improve the lot of your fellow women whether black or white.

I have no respect for what passes for social progress in the Democratic party now.

You want to help people progress, do something real, like pull them up behind you.
The bold is true IMO and ITA with you on that. However, in regards to yourself, you are like Trump because you don't care if he is a racist (you said "sounds like" but if something sounds like something, that's usually what they are). So you cannot recuse yourself away from his racism. You are either supporting it or are indifferent to it.

I also am a pragmatist and as stated, I don't get emotional or "hysterical" and have not over the issue. Pragmatically, someone who repeatedly "sounds" like a racist is a racist. I see what I see, hear what I hear, and call it what it is. It seems many of you Trump voters saw what you wanted to see, ignored what you didn't want to hear, and now are trying to reason away those things you ignored and say that you are not supporting it or are a part of that problem.

Being indifferent to racism, pragmatically, doesn't make much sense unless you are a selfish person who does not value the opportunities that our country affords to all of its citizens in its entirety.

I also am economically successful, much moreso than most white men I know. I am economically successful based on the fact that our country allows all people the opportunity to participate in our democratic processes and financial markets/systems and to receive a basic education, something that has not always been available to all Americans. I am very aware of the fact and feel blessed to be in the first generation of my family born post Civil Rights and to be a beacon of "success" for my young family members and the youth I mentor/volunteer with as an example of what it means to be a woman and what it means to be black in an opportunity filled America. No one can ever be "equal" in regards to your reference to "equality" but people can be limited in opportunities based on a variety of factors, mostly to do with economics, and for black Americans, due to the stifling of economic opportunities in my own mother's generation, poverty and the social issues that follow it have had much more of an impact on black America versus other racial demographics. I am fully aware of this, and feel the past is the past and we must press forward on growing economically. I am also fully aware that being indifferent to racism and ignoring it means that opportunities can be further limited and economic progress can halt based on the majority's indifference since historically that is what occurred post Civil War for over 100 years.

And since I was a college student, I have been very much involved in "real" life, unlike many of the youth today, I am not on the whole internet social activism bandwagon. People are not "pulled" up unless someone is physically there to pull them in some way and I make it a point to be that person.

I'll also state that as a black woman, I am not "afraid" of Trump or his racist advisor or his racist supporters because I am just not a fearful person. I just believe all the excuses of those of you who ignore or are indifferent to racism is interesting and that you should stop trying to reason away your indifference and support of racist ideology. If anything, it has helped me in my own goals with people who I converse with and organizations of which I work in highlighting the fact that for black Americans in particular, as you mentioned, it is much more important to educate and grow economically than to get involved in useless "online" social activism or attend rallies that have no goals. It has proved to the younger people especially who I volunteer with, primarily black teens and young 20 something year old kids, that you should not think people are your friends who are indifferent to the threat to your civil rights as a black citizen of this country. They need to be suspicious and much more insular and dedicated their own personal uplift and uplift as a demographic versus getting involved in more wide reaching organizations and activities that seek to use our historical struggles in black America as a rallying cry to achieve their own goals, all the while our own gains are being ignored or chipped away slowly. It is important to build coalitions but not to drift too far way from ones own goals and those goals for us should be economics, education, and criminal justice reform.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 AM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
"But not only did many white voters break the rule of disqualifying a person based on a racist statement, they broke the second rule too. They began to ask why Trump couldn’t say a Mexican judge might be unfair, when we hear all the time about the danger of all white juries and white police officers. The white acceptance of legitimate racial double standards had dissipated, and without it the détente could not stand."
Most important quote in the piece. Think about it...

Old 11-18-2016, 06:54 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Most important quote in the piece. Think about it...
I thought that was very insightful.
The fact is far too often people have taken a beat down over such a context with no one caring about the context. This time around we looked at the context.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:54 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Judge Gonzalo P. Curiel is an American judge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzalo_P._Curiel
Where do African Americans live?

Always trying to have it both ways... and ending up with neither one.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:59 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The bold is true IMO and ITA with you on that. However, in regards to yourself, you are like Trump because you don't care if he is a racist (you said "sounds like" but if something sounds like something, that's usually what they are). So you cannot recuse yourself away from his racism. You are either supporting it or are indifferent to it.

with respect. (and I really mean that) your above argument is precisely why many in the middle have jumped to Trump. He isn't a racist. He says things awkwardly for sure, but a few words doesn't undo a lifetime of actions.

See, this is the issue here. Far too many times people on the right have said things that the left has jumped on full force and we have rolled over and accepted that the non-racist had to be punished for his racism.

This time we didn't role over. instead we took a look at his life and what he said in context and recognized the left just uses that term as a political weapon. Trump won because we are tired of no one on our side fighting back

Old 11-18-2016, 07:02 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Donald Trump has suggested policies regarding Muslims and Mexican immigrants that might seem racist. I don't think they are though.

It is clear that terrorism directed at the US and other Western nations is a Muslim phenomenon. Halting Muslim immigration is an approach to reducing the exposure of American citizens to this risk. Practically it might be necessary to redirect the restriction to inhabitants of Syria, Iraq, Yemen, etc. to avoid freedom of religion issues. But it is clear the threat itself is Muslim even if the solution cannot be couched in that term.

Regarding Mexicans, Trump did say that immigrants are not typically the best Mexicans. They include criminals, gang members, etc. He also said they include many good people. All of this is true. The issue he had with Judge Gonzalo Curiel was not principally that he is Mexican but that he is a member of or is associated with La Raza, The Race. La Raza has said that California, New Mexico and Arizona are parts of Mexico that the US stole. And should give back. In Judge Gonzalo Curiel's support of this group, Trump was justifiably concerned about getting a fair trial in front of him.

By relying on wobbly examples like these Marcus's article argument is weakened. The rest of it, detente vs. consensus and so on, is just plowing a field that has been plowed many times already. Trump's election may have refreshed concerns that some people have held a long time anyway. But these feeling are refreshed with every cop shooting of a black man or FBI sting of a Muslim terrorist operation anyway.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:11 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
with respect. (and I really mean that) your above argument is precisely why many in the middle have jumped to Trump. He isn't a racist. He says things awkwardly for sure, but a few words doesn't undo a lifetime of actions.

See, this is the issue here. Far too many times people on the right have said things that the left has jumped on full force and we have rolled over and accepted that the non-racist had to be punished for his racism.

This time we didn't role over. instead we took a look at his life and what he said in context and recognized the left just uses that term as a political weapon. Trump won because we are tired of no one on our side fighting back
On the bold, I am very aware of his prior actions in regards to housing discrimination, which was race based and which he allowed to occur in his own properties. I worked in housing and had to attend various educational seminars and his issues were used a case study in regards to Fair Housing laws and what constitutes a violation.

And again, if you are okay with aligning yourself with racist rhetoric, that means you either support or are indifferent to racism. FWIW, this is similar to how white America has always been for the most part, throughout our country's history. It is not some sort of sensationalism or new thing I am saying here. See the quote I posted from WEB DuBois, which was a part of a speech he gave in 1934.

For me, the "middle" jumping to Trump means that they are a part of that indifference/support and that I should be aware of that and acknowledge that and let the people know who I work with to understand that you cannot explain away indifference and support of a racist and that people should be aware of what the others around them are indifferent to and support and make better choices about who they advocate for and work with in both their personal and professional lives.

Also, again, I am not speaking of "left versus right" stuff. I am an independent and don't particularly care anything about the left or right. A majority of the time, they are the same as each other in their dirty politics of which I mentioned before. I can understand the right demonizing the left, that is to be expected. I can understand the left demonizing the right, as again that is to be expected. Politics is dirty, I stated this earlier in the thread.

However, to align yourself with or be indifferent to someone who is not making it a "right/left" thing and is making it a general thing - regarding specific groups of people - women, blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, etc. That is when your beacon should go off beeping in your head warning you of that person's racism and xenophobia. You ignoring that beacon means you support or are indifferent to racism and xenophobia. You could have easily chosen a candidate that demonizes the left and not make generalizing, racist and xenophobic phrases. You didn't and so, again, I am being pragmatic and calling it as I see it.

IMO you should be honest and accept the fact that you are indifferent and/or support racism and xenophobia instead of continually trying to make a case for that indifference and/or support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies