Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:29 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

The one thing the article didn't touch upon was the art of manipulation through words and accusations.

That's what 'white privilege' and other words and phrases are really about.

That's what 'I've lost trust in white people' is about.

Attempts to manipulate behavior through shame.

Ain't havin' it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 08:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Your "civil rights" were given a generation ago. Your modern "civil rights" illogically continue to push a social line that the majority in this nation never agreed to. You ignore history in the process. You can frame something as "civil rights" agitation, but half of the nation as rightly come to see most of it as self interested racial rent seeking. You lack the moral and historical logic to know when to quit, and from where your actual power comes, and that will be your downfall.

On the bold, I am the first generation of my family born into a country that received a majority of the civil rights that are my birthright as an American citizen. No one should have had to "give" my mom and grandparents their civil rights, they are American and should have always been afforded those rights as American citizens.

What "rent" am I seeking as a black person according to you in regards to my personal volunteerism with black youth to further the educational opportunities afforded to them in an effort to increase the economic situation of the individuals of whom I am involved in? You believing I and others need to "quit" shows that you must be one of those people willing to give up on your goals because they are "too hard" to achieve. Historically, your whole paragraph above is hilarious to me, considering that MLK wrote about this very thing in his Letter From a Birmingham Jail.

You have no idea what black people even advocate for in regards to "civil rights" today. I bet you think its some sort of welfare program or "stuff" black people supposedly get.

Contrary to what you may believe, civil rights were not all "given" 50 years ago. If that were the case then people still would not be advocating in regards to education, economic, and criminal justice issues, all of which involve instances where civil rights are not afforded to black Americans as a whole, along with other minorities and classes of people in the country.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I'll take "you are probably the most white nationalistic poster on this thread" as a "deflection" (to use your vocabulary) that is meant to voice frustration with the fact that I don't concede to your immoral, hypocritical group self-interested views and I don't bow to your reliance on name calling. No problem.
Actually the bold is based upon my reading of a lot of your posts on this forum and is particular to your post history.

As stated above, I am very pragmatic. I take Maya Angelou's advice to heart in all situations:

If someone shows you who they are - believe them

Old 11-18-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What's wrong with the KKK? Who cares what it stands for? Maybe someone grew up in the KKK and its their culture. Sure it may have something in their rhetoric about stoning minority lovers , or beating people who eat soul food ...Even if it had something in there about 9 year old sex slaves...Who cares? Doesn't it at to vibrancy?
First, I will point out that I was not the person who initially brought up the KKK. However, in the question you initially posed what's "wrong" with them, I would ask you to replace the KKK in your questions with ISIS and consider them a group based in the USA and see what your answers are.

Hopefully you are being sarcastic with your words above.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:46 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So the KKK is a religion to your consisting of all white Christians in America and the world at-large?
Look beyond "all whites" ... let's just focus on KKK members, and those who choose to join and stay in the KKK as members.

What's the difference between the ideology and beliefs espoused by the KKK, and the ideology and beliefs espoused by Islam? Why is it important that one is a RELIGION and one just a social/political club for white nationalists?

Both appeal to god. Islam, of course, more wrapped up in god than the KKK.

Does having a billion more followers make Islam any more valid than the KKK? To its credit, the KKK never recruited members by violence and force, like Islam did. Imagine though if they had, and 90% of white people "converted" to KKK ideology and remained in the ideology.

Would you hold back your dislike of KKK ideology because "not all KKK members are bad?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007
But all Muslims are not like the KKK. Taking that stretch is what constitutes xenophobia.

So it's just a coincidence, in your opinion, that there are no majority-Muslim nations that have positive, liberal social outcomes?

You don't see that you can actually see Islam as a political religion IN PRACTICE and determine what that means for ethnic, religious and sexual minorities... as well as women!?

I can say that if the KKK ever gained influence in America, it would spell disaster for gay rights, women's liberation and minority rights. I know this because of history.

Similarly, I know that Islam is a disaster for western liberal democracy. Because of history AND present outcomes.

Why do you refuse to see this? Why the need to embrace a fascistic religion? Do you stick up for the fundamentalist mormons and their 40 wives? What do you think America would look like if THOSE FLDS people gained more and more influence in our culture and government? Would you be a "xenophobe bigot" for opposing FLDS as a religion? Would you be wrong to say we shouldn't give pass to its adherents?

Are you refusing to see that religion = culture, and culture = outcomes?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:57 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,960 times
Quote:
The bold is a xenophobic comment. All Muslims in the entire world are not terrorist nor involved in terroristic activities. That is proof that your statement is false and is the perpetuation of xenophobia. And FWIW, I am an atheist and I view all the world's major religions poorly and feel that religion itself is the cause of lots of terror and suffering and oppression around the globe, but Islam itself does not tell all Muslims to terrorized the Western world.

Regarding "Mexicans" as stated, one can have an immigration conversation without even bringing up Mexicans or Hispanics. What about the Asians and their anchor babies. What about the people from African nations who come here on student visas and overstay those visas. Immigration issues are ones that do need to be addressed but to address them only speaking of Mexicans is not necessary. To do so is used only to stir up the racist, xenophobic fears in the American public. We should not allow ourselves to so easily be swept up by these generalizations.

And again, the judge was not a member of "La Raza" he was a member of a lawyer's association with attorneys who were of Latino ethnicity. Read the fact check above.
I'm sorry ResidingHere but your assertion that you have proved my first point wrong is just plain false. I did not say all Muslims are terrorists. But the main terrorist threat to the US is Muslim terrorism (I'm excluding whacko domestic terrorism because that is a different issue and requires a different solution, like profiling). For example, it is not Jews from Israel, Lutherans from Sweden or Buddhists from India that are threatening to us.

Anything that doesn't recognize this truth will not solve the problem. Unless it is something like a universal ban on all immigration.

About your second argument, Asians and Africans, the assertions of Trump's racism stem from comments he made about illegal Mexican immigration. Not about Asian or African immigration (none of which is illegal as far as I know). So bringing up Asian and Africans is irrelevant, even if some of them overstay their visas.

Regarding Judge Curiel, he is a member of the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association. They claim to be unaffiliated with La Raza itself but I don't believe it.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:28 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
The bold is true IMO and ITA with you on that. However, in regards to yourself, you are like Trump because you don't care if he is a racist (you said "sounds like" but if something sounds like something, that's usually what they are). So you cannot recuse yourself away from his racism. You are either supporting it or are indifferent to it.

Being indifferent to racism, pragmatically, doesn't make much sense unless you are a selfish person who does not value the opportunities that our country affords to all of its citizens in its entirety.
Things are not always black and white(no pun intended). There is a great deal of ambiguity in the world.

I don't agree that just because something sounds like it is racist it is. Sometimes it may be insensitive or not even meant as racist. You likely have little experience with this because in the real world no white person is going to call a black woman on doing that at the risk of losing employment etc.

I don't think Trump is any more racist than most people. Sounds like he grew up with a racist father has evolved to a certain extent and sometimes says things that people find offensive. Whatever.

I don't care because if it even exists, its not the kind of racism that is hurting anyone or depriving anyone of opportunity. If I see that happening, I will no longer support him. I don't think that will happen.

As others are pointing out to you, you are sounding quite racist yourself.

I think its really sad that you are teaching young black kids to fear and distrust white people.

Nothing has changed. People are no more or less racist on either side than they were before Trumps campaign began.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:40 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:

And since I was a college student, I have been very much involved in "real" life, unlike many of the youth today, I am not on the whole internet social activism bandwagon. People are not "pulled" up unless someone is physically there to pull them in some way and I make it a point to be that person.

Yes to the bolded as do I. But, the reality is that there are just as many people in place to pull disenfranchised people up behind them as when this presidential election started. Unless of course you count Hillary and if she retires from public life someone will take her place. If she doesn't, she and Bill have millions to start a business or otherwise pull people up behind them.

Everyone is who they were when Trump hit the campaign trail. No more, no less.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:59 PM

270 posts, read 198,669 times
The SJWs and BLM went too far, period. They led to a Trump victory.

Before Obama, I was shocked at how well whites and blacks were getting along. I was a former "black activist." I always expected conflict.

On college campuses, you saw black and white students hanging out together unlike "my day", the late '80s.

But that was not good enough for the left. They had to push this "white privilege" nonsense--not to create "change" but to create conflict.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Most important quote in the piece. Think about it...

Quote:
But not only did many white voters break the rule of disqualifying a person based on a racist statement, they broke the second rule too. They began to ask why Trump couldn’t say a Mexican judge might be unfair, when we hear all the time about the danger of all white juries and white police officers. The white acceptance of legitimate racial double standards had dissipated, and without it the détente could not stand."
I don't think Trump said anything racist, but I agree it was breaking from the PC rules and chains for whites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQA0wJC2G0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies