Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 11:38 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The president-elect calling for repeal of free speech, jailing people who exercise their rights. Are you proud, America? (the minority of you who voted for Trump) It makes me want to go burn a flag.
Burning a flag is an ACT. It is not SPEECH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:38 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
This is the point you are missing.

You MAY be punished for STARTING A FIRE without a permit. It is current law.

It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Flag burning is legal. Starting a fire without a permit MAY be illegal depends on the situation.
I do not have to get a permit to exercise my free speech rights. Yes, I may have to get a permit to burn my leaves in the back yard. (though I disagree with that also)

Old 11-29-2016, 11:39 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Do they need to?

Are you suggesting that people have burnt flags in front of your house in the past?
It is just an example. No need to roll your eyes.

I think we should all carry on a somewhat civilized conversation.

I am not your enemy.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:39 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Im down. Lock up the communist leftists burning the flag in our streets. If you don't like America? Get the hell out. Go to China or Cuba...Trump Says Flag Burners Should Lose Citizenship or Spend a Year in Jail - ABC News
Trump said perhaps flag burners should lose citizenship or spend a year in jail.

Besides, Trump is merely proposing what Hillary herself advocated back when she was a Senator. Hillary's sponsored flag burning law would have made two wrongs, not a right, but you'd think that fact would at least temper somewhat the hysteria coming from the Leftists.

That moment when the MSM realizes Trump just took a position advocated by Hillary Clinton in 2005 – twitchy.com

Old 11-29-2016, 11:40 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Trump said perhaps flag burners should lose citizenship or spend a year in jail.

Besides, Trump is merely proposing what Hillary herself advocated back when she was a Senator. Hillary's proposed law would have made two wrongs, not a right, but you'd think that fact would at least temper somewhat the hysteria coming from the Leftists.

That moment when the MSM realizes Trump just took a position advocated by Hillary Clinton in 2005 – twitchy.com
Then should it not increase it on the right?

Old 11-29-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I do not have to get a permit to exercise my free speech rights. Yes, I may have to get a permit to burn my leaves in the back yard. (though I disagree with that also)
well, fair enough

the bold. At least you are honest.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

Besides, Trump is merely proposing what Hillary herself advocated back when she was a Senator. Hillary's proposed law would have made two wrongs, not a right, but you'd think that fact would at least temper somewhat the hysteria coming from the Leftists.

Pretty much. But in all fairness, I am not sure Hillary Clinton is a true liberal lol She's more like a neocon to me.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:43 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
Quote:
Mr. T should be careful of what he tweets
Why? It's his right to bloviate bombastic BS, and I never tire of it.

His Faithful apparently lap it up and think Trumpian Twitter-litter is sound policy.

Some Trumpzis seem anxious to avenge the grudges they have been nursing against the "elites" they blame for their perceived status as as a persecuted minority.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The conservatives on the Supreme Court ruled (Citizens United) that you can basically buy an election, that unlimited political spending by corporations is protected as "free speech". But some of these same folks would deny the free speech rights of a person burning the flag in protest. That's sick twisted logic!
Actually, Citizens United says that being a business owner doesn't mean you should lose your right to donate to or petition your elected representatives.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:44 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
Quote:
I am not your enemy.
No, you just want the government to lock me up if I exercise a First Amendment right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies