Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 12:53 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
has anyone pointed out that Mrs. Clinton co-sponsored the Flag Protection Act in 2005?
Only about a half-dozen times in this thread.

Is anything our president-elect says or does going to be excused on the basis of something Hillary or Obama said or did? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 12:54 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
see, here is the thing, when you people say things like the above. the rest of us look at you and see a conceited self centered blowhard that thinks way to highly of himself. really, anything you say after that ought to point to some kind of actual educational point. when it doesn't it just proves YOU are the one who refuses to listen and/or learn.
If a person can sit there and say "Lock em up for burning our flag" with all honesty and conviction to see it through, then yes... they are ignorant morons who are too stupid to know their head from their arse and DO need to pull it out of that arse and read up on what this country was founded on and how their very demands are essentially urinating on the very "ideal" they claim to promote with their flag worship.

I will make no apologies for something people should already damn well know.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:54 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Sounds like he needs a safe space.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:55 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Love it or Leave it.
You think when an American burns a flag in protest it means they don't love America and should be imprisoned or exiled?

Old 11-29-2016, 12:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Only about a half-dozen times in this thread.

Is anything our president-elect says or does going to be excused on the basis of something Hillary or Obama said or did? Just wondering.
Correct, it doesn't matter what her view is, because he is wrong in believing the government should have the power to punish such an act regardless of how the lying criminal witch stands.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
It's not about worshiping the flag. If one doesn't want to be here then leave. People that burn the flag and desecrate it have no respect for the Constitution or the country.
Beg to differ.

I would not personally burn a flag in protest (I like the flag, myself), but you can absolutely burn a flag in protest and it is protected by our Constitution. Protest doesn't equal "hates the USA."

This country is so much more than a flag.

If someone broke into the National Archives, stole the Constitution, and burned it? Well, yes.... I'd think they hated the USA because that would be evil. But, I'm a history buff and these documents really matter to me.

They (and their contents) matter SO much that I am willing to allow people to burn a flag of theirs in protest if they are unhappy with some aspect of our government.

Trying to stop people from protesting is a bit ironic coming from people who are hell bent on keeping guns to protect themselves in the event that the government does something they don't like.

All that said, flags that touch the ground or become damaged in some way are burned to dispose of them, so I don't think that it's bad karma to burn a flag in general. No worries. Just don't want anyone to burn any flag that belongs to me. Or any of my other belongings, either.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:58 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Love it or Leave it.
Mmm authoritarianism, my favorite...

Old 11-29-2016, 01:00 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
To be frank, Trump doesn't believe that at all. That's just more red meat being thrown to the littles.

Expect a lot of this kinda talk over the next four years.
I agree. Just a distraction. Someone else made a good point; which was, "don't look at the 22 million about to lose their health insurance. Forget about me turning Medicare into a voucher system. Never mind privatizing social security for 57 million seniors. Look! over there, someone's burning a flag! Go get em!"

The Trump playbook. When the focus is on you, say something totally outrageous. The people will chase the shiny object every time.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:01 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
I should be able to burn my own flag if I want, but not anyone else's. Trump does not respect private property.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I agree. Just a distraction. Someone else made a good point; which was, "don't look at the 22 million about to lose their health insurance. Forget about me turning Medicare into a voucher system. Never mind privatizing social security for 57 million seniors. Look! over there, someone's burning a flag! Go get em!"

The Trump playbook. When the focus is on you, say something totally outrageous. The people will chase the shiny object every time.
I'm assuming you must be really young; otherwise, you'd realize this is in the playbook of most politicians from both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies