Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 01:48 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Just because he tweets it doesn't mean it will happen. However.... I do often think those who think this is such a awful country should go live in another one for a year. I lived in Germany for a spell, it was amazing some of the rules they had that curtailed freedoms that we just for granted over here.
As I always say, we should live up to standards and not down to them. Just because some country in the middle of nowhere disenfranchises their people doesn't mean we should. And the fact that he, the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, thinks its okay to just tweet whatever little thought flits into his head is asinine enough.

Another great thing about this country? We can think its as awful as we want and yell it from the rooftops and no one can do a damn thing about it. THAT is what makes America great. If you don't like that freedom, perhaps YOU should go elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 01:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry, but when the claim is essentially made that Trump has started distraction politics, I can't muster much more than laughter.
This is actually making a very good point. Look how easily Trump distracted from everything else. Those who oppose him should learn a lesson here but I doubt very seriously they will.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:58 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Aw I see you slightly tweaked what I said to make a point, well done. I'll let you have the last word then, if that's how you want it. Suffice it to say I find your belief that there's an equivalency between him and other politicians in modern times with regards to distraction politics equally astounding.
First of all, you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Not really. Peddling a conspiracy theory or making an outrageous comment to deflect negative attention away from the more important things he's doing is distinctly Trumpish.
You do realize what distinct means, correct?

Second, are you saying there is something unique or different in regards to Trump's distractions?

Let me ask you this, what do you believe he was trying to get people to ignore with this distraction?

Old 11-29-2016, 01:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Protest is protected.

Vandalism isn't. But there is just one Lincoln Memorial. There are billions of flags. Because the flags are just symbols. And destroying a symbol is protest. Protest that is protected as free speech. Free speech is right.
Trump should pay more attention to his heroes. He often says he would like to appoint a Supreme Court Justice with the same values as Scalia.

"If I were king, I would not allow people to go about burning the American flag. However, we have a First Amendment, which says that the right of free speech shall not be abridged. And it is addressed, in particular, to speech critical of the government. I mean, that was the main kind of speech that tyrants would seek to suppress."

"Burning the flag is a form of expression. Speech doesn't just mean written words or oral words. It could be semaphore. And burning a flag is a symbol that expresses an idea -- I hate the government, the government is unjust, whatever."

Justice Anton Scalia
July 18, 2012
Interview CNN

Old 11-29-2016, 02:00 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,670,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Trump knows his supporters. They will be easily distracted by every shiny object he trots out during his presidency just the way they were during his candidacy. You have to hand it to him. He knows his uneducated idiot base very, very well. They will be screeching about stupid non-issues like this one, completely oblivious as he dismantles the social safety net, throws millions of people off their healthcare and and gives his one percent pals big tax cuts at the expense of everyone else. They will never see it coming.

That's how a good con man does it, and they don't come any better than P.T. Barnum Trump.
The spookiest thing about his flag comment is how many and how quickly so many people jumped on the bandwagon of jail, deportation, loss of citizenship, traitor, etc. It demonstrates how quickly Trump could organize a lynch mob if he so chose to do so.
Very scary stuff, indeed.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:01 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is actually making a very good point. Look how easily Trump distracted from everything else. Those who oppose him should learn a lesson here but I doubt very seriously they will.
I agree and have said many times his rants are distractions. However, these subjects make interesting debates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The spookiest thing about his flag comment is how many and how quickly so many people jumped on the bandwagon of jail, deportation, loss of citizenship, traitor, etc. It demonstrates how quickly Trump could organize a lynch mob if he so chose to do so.
Very scary stuff, indeed.
Well, we still have a Congress, so I hope this type of behavior will get voters off their behinds in 2018. However, I fear that it won't make much of a difference. I'm not surprised that so many people are supporting his diatribes. After all, more than 62 million people voted for Trump.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:03 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,906,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
I think this one is more appropriate, given the nature of some of the comments in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVBwGEjW94
Progressives have a lot more in common with that group, but they project so much and believe their own lies that they don't see it.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:05 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,670,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry, but when the claim is essentially made that Trump has started distraction politics, I can't muster much more than laughter.
He didn't invent distraction politics but he did perfect it to an art form. It won him supporters with the birther crap. It won him an election and it is distracting the nation from his self serving agenda. "A president cannot be guilty of conflict of interest", indeed

Old 11-29-2016, 02:06 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Progressives have a lot more in common with that group, but they project so much and believe their own lies that they don't see it.
Fascinating statement. Care to expound?

Old 11-29-2016, 02:07 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,740,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
He didn't invent distraction politics but he did perfect it to an art form. It won him supporters with the birther crap. It won him an election and it is distracting the nation from his self serving agenda. "A president cannot be guilty of conflict of interest", indeed
This ^^. He may not have invented it, but he certainly is the king of distraction politics. Horrifyingly brilliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies