Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 09:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You don't just "become a lesbian."

Well, maybe some do. I have relative who had one horrible heterosexual relationship after another. I'm not kidding. Each man was worse than the last deadbeat loser. In her forties, she decided "to become a lesbian." It lasted a few years and didn't amount to much. Then she took up with a man who ended up in prison and decided celibacy was the way to go.

Some people play on both teams, so I guess they could just become a lesbian at will.

But most social workers and teachers I've worked with have been lesbians there whole life.

I do have a distant relative whose wife left him for a woman down the block. But I don't think she became a lesbian. I suspect she was one all along.
Go back and reread the post I was responding to.

I was asking him to expand on his argument since there was such a giant flaw in it. I was in no way agreeing that people choose their sexuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 09:46 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Go back and reread the post I was responding to.

I was asking him to expand on his argument since there was such a giant flaw in it. I was in no way agreeing that people choose their sexuality.
Okay.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:12 AM

638 posts, read 310,339 times
Quote:
I was joking when I wrote that, but now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that if I raised a kid that fell for a con man's lies, I would donate my money to someplace where it would do some good. Giving it to that kid would be wasted on the next con man that came along.
Chances are that if you raised a kid to have that kind of judgment they'll easily dwarf whatever "money" you have in your mattress by the time they're 30, and put the words "keep the change" on your headstone when the time comes.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:39 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And the saying he refers to is just above it--that God's command is that we love one another as he loved us. Sometimes it is difficult to love and accept others who are not the same as us or those who we don't understand. That's why it's a command. If it was easy and natural to love those who are different, we wouldn't need to be commanded to do so. We keep trying to uphold that rule of love, even when we fail, and even when others denigrate us for loving those who they don't think are worthy, but Jesus kept standing up for and loving those who society rejected, and so must we who follow his teachings, no matter what others say.
Christ never condoned or accepted sin. You are misleading people. We are to love the person and to denounce the sin for to denounce the sin is to seek to love the person for no person can be saved who revels (accepts/condones) in sin. To condone the sin, to accept it, is to condemn one who lives in it.

You are bearing false witness to the word of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 7:21-23
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Old 12-27-2016, 04:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
You are entitled to your own opinion. This issue wasn't to argue over whether people approve of Christianity or not, it was to point out the poster was improperly applying the scripture to tolerate and condone sin which it most certainly does not.
In that case, what do you believe the Bible says about homosexuality?

Old 12-27-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
That's fine, you can believe what you want but that isn't proof of anything, it's observation and opinion, Humans can reason those animals can not.
Oh I don't believe what I want. I believe what the evidence and research states. Homosexuality naturally occurs. Fact.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Dr. Phil and Democrats preach abandoning and shunning your children all the time if they're using drug addicts. They hide their contempt under the label "tough love."
I don't advocate for abandoning loved ones during their time of need.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The evidence is simple, man and woman go together, female and male, pretty simple really. There is nothing to prove that wrong, no DNA no Test no facts to any claim that anybody is born gay. your free to believe whatever you want.
Actually there is a lot of evidence stating that homosexuality occurs naturally - from observation of the animal kingdom to research to homosexuals themselves who've said they've always known they were gay.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:51 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
In that case, what do you believe the Bible says about homosexuality?
It is a sin.

Quote:
Leviticus 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."

Leviticus 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them."

1 Corinthians 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Romans 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

Old 12-27-2016, 04:58 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:

If one of our kids voted for Trump, that'd be it for me. Done dee.

I would not cut off contact, but I can't imagine we'd have much to talk about.

I wouldn't cut them out of the celebrations, but they'd be out the will. No sense giving money to people with poor judgement.
That's really sad. I'm a registered Republican who voted for Hillary, but if one of my kids voted or Trump, I would respect their choice for the same reasons that I hope they would respect mine.

Quote:
I was joking when I wrote that, but now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that if I raised a kid that fell for a con man's lies, I would donate my money to someplace where it would do some good. Giving it to that kid would be wasted on the next con man that came along.
So you weren't actually joking? Trump was a terrible candidate, but Hillary was worse, as demonstrated by the results of the election. I was hoping Hillary would win and the Republicans would hold the house and senate so that NOTHING would get done over the next four years. That didn't happen. Now we have to get behind our soon-to-be president and try to make things work. Who knows?... Maybe Trump will surprise us all and do a great job. That would be a positive outcome in my opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies