Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 03:38 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Put it away and start thinking for yourself. That's a very sad life you lead there. It says a lot about you too if your silly religion is more important than preserving your relationship with your child.
I am not the one encouraging the mental illness. A child who believes such should be treated with care and respect to their ailment, not irresponsibly encouraged to revel in it. Would you encourage the kleptomaniac to steal, the necrophiliac to partake in their sickness or promote the numerous mental illnesses that exist? You suggest the easy route, the one that is not of a parent, but of the "friend" who wishes not to judge the action or behavior and chooses the support that will gain them the least friction. That is not the action of a parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 03:46 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Hard to imagine Jesus telling anyone to turn their back on their children.

We've had so many charlatans claiming to be acting on the "word of God." You'd think people would wake up.
No, he would not turn his back, but he would not condone sin. Either you choose him or you choose man, you can not serve two masters. Those who do not take to his word, who do not seek him, never knew him. You can not seek Christ and serve sin. You must choose.

This is Christs message.

Quote:
The Rich Man

17 As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good. 19 But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. You must not cheat anyone. Honor your father and mother.’e”

20 “Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”

21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”

Note the point here. He is talking about people who are attached to mans world, who are unwilling to relinquish the world of man to serve God. Like the rich man, one must choose to put aside sin, to serve God and not their desires, not the world of man...

So again, no Christ would not turn his back on anyone, but many will choose to turn away from him.

Last edited by NxtGen; 12-26-2016 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-26-2016, 03:46 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
What the hell can you even do? Especially if a child is past a certain age there's not much you can do to influence who they are or their behavior. You can accept it, disown them, or make futile attempts at changing them.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Let's put it this way. Did I love my child yesterday? Yes. So if he or she tells me they are gay I will still love them today. It does not change who they are as a person or a son or a daughter. It is just their sexual preference which is really not my business.

I may not understand it but I would do my best to understand them. If that means asking them questions, doing research or finding real studies about it then that's what I will do. I feel really terrible for the kids who have families who turn them away. There are a lot worse things they can be besides gay.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:53 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Let's put it this way. Did I love my child yesterday? Yes. So if he or she tells me they are gay I will still love them today. It does not change who they are as a person or a son or a daughter. It is just their sexual preference which is really not my business.

I may not understand it but I would do my best to understand them. If that means asking them questions, doing research or finding real studies about it then that's what I will do. I feel really terrible for the kids who have families who turn them away. There are a lot worse things they can be besides gay.
Most definitely.

I know a mother whose son is mentally ill and homeless. She has no idea where he is.

Gay or not, she'd be overjoyed to have him home.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
His sexual orientation does not define my love for my child. That's something an irrational person from the 50's/60's would say.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:13 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
John 15:20: Remember the word that I said to you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
And the saying he refers to is just above it--that God's command is that we love one another as he loved us. Sometimes it is difficult to love and accept others who are not the same as us or those who we don't understand. That's why it's a command. If it was easy and natural to love those who are different, we wouldn't need to be commanded to do so. We keep trying to uphold that rule of love, even when we fail, and even when others denigrate us for loving those who they don't think are worthy, but Jesus kept standing up for and loving those who society rejected, and so must we who follow his teachings, no matter what others say.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:20 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I thank God every day - that even though I was raised in the church; I was not raised in the fundamentalist church that believed in any kind of literal interpretation of the bible.
My church leaned that way, but my father was an engineer and a 100% disabled WWII veteran to boot, a very intelligent and quietly religious man whose thoughts and experience had taken him far deeper than the simplistic and dangerous literal interpretation of scripture. We discussed and asked questions, and although I left religion behind as a young adult, when I again sought to awaken my spiritual life, I chose the deeper path.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:08 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Parents create Bigots, there is NO gene for bigotry.

How do you "teach" your child to be Homosexual?
I'm trying to figure out that one myself.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:10 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
First it's selfish looking for grand's! Even heterosexual couples sometime don't want kids . , but this day and age, they can have kids! Many now using a surrogate or adopting ,,, guess not enough for you .
Selfish,,,,really?

Aside from the biological drive to carry on the genetic line of our ancestors, we give everything to our kids for the most part. We invest time, money, emotion, heartache, etc., etc., etc.
So to ask for them to do one simple thing, like we all did that have kids, is hardly selfish.

As to adopting, sure it is a nice thing and all that, but that hardly qualifies as carrying on the family genes.
Heck I have a friend who is not a homo, but married a woman who already had kids. She refused to have more, thus his family is very upset with him to the point of probably cutting him out of their will.

So it is not really that hard to see how some parents will not be happy from a grandkid standpoint, much less finding their homosexuality disgusting.

BTW - I'd but some kooky liberals would probably be more accepting of their kids being homo than they would of them being conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies