Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 11:57 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sign them up for psychological treatment. Conversion therapy or aroma therapy.
https://www.believeoutloud.com/lates...nconditionally

https://www.queerty.com/grieving-mot...y-son-20141201

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvdxDsRX7hg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 12:35 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No issue on my part.

A similar poll was posted on the forum a few years back.

I was surprised by the number who said they would disown their child he/ she came out. I was surprised so many felt they " owned" their children to the point of " disowning" them.
I agree. Who "owns" their children. It's more like they own us.

Any parent who "disowned" their child because they didn't like something about them couldn't have loved them that much to start out with.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:38 PM

638 posts, read 310,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Im not an absolutist, so im sure there is someone out there that is gay just because they can be, but I doubt it.

Also, who you have sex with doesnt determine sexuality, attraction =/= sexual partner. An opening is an opening, its just that simple. So what you define as experimentation is about sexual gratification, not attraction.

Also,you do view homosexuality negatively as you put it in the same category as drugs.
Do you actually know any gay people beyond the professional or acquaintance level? No, not liberal children, but gays in their 50's or older? You may want to meet some. Because much like with voter ID and minorities, the liberal illusion of the gay community is seriously flawed.

Because they don't all enter the world that way. That's a myth purported by liberals pushing an agenda. Now if you want to break out the shovel and start splitting hairs over what "gay" means, you may as well go outside and speak into an empty trash can. Because YES, it does matter who you have sex with.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:45 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
Do you actually know any gay people beyond the professional or acquaintance level? No, not liberal children, but gays in their 50's or older? You may want to meet some. Because much like with voter ID and minorities, the liberal illusion of the gay community is seriously flawed.

Because they don't all enter the world that way. That's a myth purported by liberals pushing an agenda. Now if you want to break out the shovel and start splitting hairs over what "gay" means, you may as well go outside and speak into an empty trash can. Because YES, it does matter who you have sex with.
You are mistaken.

I do know gay men and women and have for years. Most say they've known they were gay since they were teens. Some say they have always known they were different than their siblings.

Women talk about not being excited about playing princess and so forth.

Those pushing their agenda here are not the liberals.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You are mistaken.

I do know gay men and women and have for years. Most say they've known they were gay since they were teens. Some say they have always known they were different than their siblings.

Women talk about not being excited about playing princess and so forth.

Those pushing their agenda here are not the liberals.

Meet more of them than the 2 or 3 you know. When you've worked in the club business you end up meeting several. To assume they all have similar stories is patently ridiculous, as well as untrue. I mean really, to say all gay people are "born that way" is like saying all black people love "soul food". One idea is just as prejudiced as the other.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:47 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:

What are you trying to get at?

I work with several gay and lesbian people in their 50s or above, and know several more on the board of the nonprofit I'm involved with, my alma mater's alumni board, my synagogue, and my community. My downstairs neighbors for several years was an elderly lesbian couple. What's your point?

Old 12-25-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What are you trying to get at?

I work with several gay and lesbian people in their 50s or above, and know several more on the board of the nonprofit I'm involved with, my alma mater's alumni board, my synagogue, and my community. My downstairs neighbors for several years was an elderly lesbian couple. What's your point?
"Work with", "on a board", and live next to. You know these people about as well as I know my mailman. That's precisely my point.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
I actually know plenty of gay people. And not just some facebook friend I have never met type deal either. Im talking about talk to and see every other day, have known since middle school or younger types, go for a drink on the week ends and stay at each others house. and no surprisingly they arent all liberals. The illusion of the gay community is a societal one, not a liberal one.

My guess is, you have met one gay person who told you it was a choice for what ever reason and you now think that means there is some sizable chunk and that just isnt true, or you are defining it by the "love child" type of the 60's and 70's which seems likely based on you using those ages and the argument of experimentation.

Quote:
Yes they are. People who are gay, are attracted to the same sex, are born that way.

What you argued in talking about experimentation, is about sex, not sexuality. No different than the guy who wants to get laid at last call who takes home the ugly girl.

Therefore, there is no myth, you are simply using the broadest definition of "gay" as possible.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:18 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,926 times
How about if we change the poll to:

Would you accept your child if they had Blonde hair?
Would you accept your child if they had Red hair?
Would you accept your child if they had Blue eyes?
Would you accept your child if they had Green eyes?
Would you accept your child if they are a "Lefty"?

A person has as much control of those things as their sexuality.

Yeah, they can FORCE changes but still are whatever born with.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:18 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
When my MIL came out to her mother, her mother's response was priceless.... "It was about time." She always knew that something was different about her daughter. Her current partner has always said that being a lesbian was always the "normal" for her even as a little girl growing up in a conservative part of Texas.

I grew up with three brothers; one elder and a set of young twins. When we were in college, each of the twins left to study; One in Spain and the other in San Diego. The one in Spain fell in love (they are still together) to another man. After a year, he made the difficult call to his family. To the surprise of his twin in San Diego, he too had come out of the closet but wasn't quite ready to tell his twin brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies