Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:07 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most yogis in the world are male

http://www.ideachampions.com/heart/Mas_Cave_S.jpg
I wear compression pants when I spar... since many women are high on the legging trend right now (THANK GOD) does that make me effeminate...while I'm choking someone out in jujitsu or bludgeoning another in Muay Thai? Lol

(In red to your response to his '... raid teenage girls closet...' comment.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most yogis in the world are male

http://www.ideachampions.com/heart/Mas_Cave_S.jpg
That doesn't count because everyone knows that foreigners are girly. Except Putin.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
I think the better question here is why are conservatives and those that live in red states, so repressed? Why are you shunned and possibly beaten if your shirt and pants happen to match? Why are you made fun of if you wear something besides Dockers and denim. Why are you called "gay" if you happen to clean up your fingernails and use lotion on your hands? Why can't you get a nice haircut? Were something not plaid or fleece?

And with all that, how did you men in the red states bring yourself to vote for a man who highlights and colors his hair as well as uses self-tanner?

Old 01-03-2017, 06:23 AM

638 posts, read 310,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I wear compression pants when I spar... since many women are high on the legging trend right now (THANK GOD) does that make me effeminate...while I'm choking someone out in jujitsu or bludgeoning another in Muay Thai? Lol

(In red to your response to his '... raid teenage girls closet...' comment.
I wasn't talking about sports clothing. People make fun of cyclists wearing bike shorts and then go watch football. I wear bike shorts when riding, but I'll tell ya what, there isn't a big burly guy behind me with his hands hovering just under my ass either. All bets are off with sports clothing. On the field/track/etc it's fine.

I'm talking about stuff like this. This is offensive to me as a man.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
I'm not trying to troll or be insulting, really. I'm just calling it as I see it from a general perspective.

Most conservative men I know look at liberal males and think the same thing. For a while there I couldn't tell liberal males from gay men. Then I realized the difference. Gay men are actually MORE masculine, generally speaking. Gay men tend to spend more time in the gym, and are a lot more alpha than liberal males in general.

It's very odd, because 20 or 30 years ago it was not this way.

As far as liberal women? Well, I'm only observing from a distance. I generally won't interact with them if I can avoid it. Because the masculine traits they seem to adopt are rather obnoxious, so I don't really engage them. I don't hire them, wouldn't work for them, and absolutely would avoid adding them to a team.

So the point is I understand why some people might gravitate toward the liberal ideology. I don't agree with it, however it makes sense. But where is the behavioral stuff coming from? Daddy spend too much time on the golf course? Feminist mommy emasculate your divorced daddy a little too much in front of you? What is it?

Again, I'm sorry if this insults you as a liberal but I can't help what I see. Help me understand why this odd role reversal is occurring. I realize some might not agree with my observations 100%, but I don't think anyone can seriously deny this is happening 100% either. Thoughts?
In my observations :

People who fit the stereotypes of masculine men and feminine women generally have little need for leftist 'equality' ideology. It is the people who don't fit the 'norms' who experience most of the negative impacts of gender roles.

Quote:
I generally won't interact with them if I can avoid it.

obnoxious

I don't really engage them

I don't hire them

wouldn't work for them

absolutely would avoid adding them to a team.

Daddy spend too much time on the golf course?

Feminist mommy emasculate your divorced daddy a little too much in front of you?
Your jimmies seem pretty rustled over this.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,734 times
Quote:
Should we arrange you a safe space?

Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about sports clothing. People make fun of cyclists wearing bike shorts and then go watch football. I wear bike shorts when riding, but I'll tell ya what, there isn't a big burly guy behind me with his hands hovering just under my ass either. All bets are off with sports clothing. On the field/track/etc it's fine.

I don't wear it either but it's not offensive, to me. Comical. But too each their own.

I hated suits, till I didn't
I hated pink, till I didn't
I hated uggs, till I didn't

Bottom line is if we let clothes or style determine masculinity or lack there of, we are our own worst enemy.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:33 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
I'm safe inside a pair of my skinny jeans.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:33 AM

638 posts, read 310,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
No need. Trump won. My safe space is now the United States again. Enjoy the party.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:35 AM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
OP,
I understand the point you are trying to make, but I think you are painting with too broad a brush.
Which makes me suspect you are living in Portland, San Francisco, or Madison, WI.

Rural areas and smaller towns still have plenty of masculine boys and men. As a retired female high school teacher, I did notice a change over the years in young men and a lot of confusion and resentmention going on. At first, I was alarmed, but now I've come to believe it is an evolutionary adaptation. We need both types of men now as more and more jobs are related to technology, science, media, entertainment, teaching, assembly, basic desk type jobs, etc -- not as conducive to men with high testosterone levels.

At the same time, we need a healthy amount of high masculinity for the military, law enforcement, firemen, labor, construction, etc, etc.
I know many young men who served in the military (Afghanistan, Iraq) and now hold more masculine type jobs, but can be just as sensitive, conversive, and compassionate as the overly-manicured-boy-bun techies or hipsters. They've learned how to adapt and evolve in a more gender-challenging culture than you or I grew up in.
So, I think the younger men are adapting, but this is still concerning to some older men.

This is from a woman's perspective, but I ran it by my husband (a perfect balance) and he agrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies