Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 03:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
This is why the media needs to wait a minute before reporting news. Authorities are saying there was no second shooter. But of course people will now claim that a second shooter was reported, and this is simply a cover up.

Why is it so hard for the media to simply say "Breaking News: Shooting at Ft. Lauderdale airport. Stay tuned for more information." Then they can report the news once they have been able to verify the information. Instead they report anything and everything, regardless of the truth. And now a bunch of " false flag" YouTube videos will be using those initial reports to fit whatever agenda they want.
The 24/7 news cycle, internet and social media have turned news into a profitable business. Anyone can claim anything and get it out there.

Rumors spread like wild fire during incidents like this and LE has to respond to all of them. Reputable media usually couches their reporting with " unconfirmed".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 03:02 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Screenshot I just took of news showing suspect:
The caption on that news clip said that the suspect had a history of mental problems.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:03 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Exactly!

Nothing compared to what's going on today, but years ago I was robbed at gunpoint.

The guy held a gun to my head and his friend held a gun to my friend's chest.
They told us not to scream.
It never occured to us to scream and we were later told by a support group we had to go to that that is a common reaction - your brain just freezes.
I was kidnapped and robbed in Guatamala when I was on a study abroad during college. A guerrilla group kidnapped our entire group. Everyone was unbelievably calm. It was surreal. No one broke down until after we were released. I would never have expected to have remained so calm.

But they had tons of weapons and all the control, so all we could do was pray and obey commands. I think being in a mass shooting would be very different.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Then they should wait until its verified, even if it takes days. But it didn't take days to verify there was no second shooter, the police were saying that almost immediately after it was reported. Did no one think to ask the police what was happening before releasing information that would just cause more panic?

That "breaking 911" site that another poster linked to claims there were three active shooting sites. That's just irresponsible to make such claims as it will cause further chaos at the airport as people look to the media for more information as to what is happening.
The news outlets that sensationalize events like this tend to get the most attention.

It would be interesting to trace,if possible, how rumors like this start.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
It's actually a good point. I saw a report that people were hiding behind their luggage, and the gunman was shooting them through theIr luggage.

My husband had a mass shooting expert conduct a training at his office a couple of months ago. He told them the most dangerous thing you can do is hide. First you should escape of possible. If you can't do that, then you should run at the person and attack them. The accuracy rate of police killing a moving target is really low, and they are trained shooters. So throwing bags at the shooter is a good plan.

Hiding is the most dangerous thing you can do because it provides the shooter with a still target, which is easiest to hit. My husband told my kids to ignore what they were taught in school (hide in the back of the classroom in a big mass) and follow what he learned at his work training.
I work at a school, and this is what we are trained on as well. A lot of the students who were killed at Sandy Hook were crowded together in a bathroom, so after that incident, a lot of schools started to change how they conduct their active shooter drills. We're instructed to first try to run, and to keep running after getting out of the school. If such an event were to happen, we're supposed to take the children someplace that is at least a mile away from the school. If running is not an option, and you are confronted by the shooter, then the next best thing is to start throwing anything and everything to try and catch the shooter off guard (chairs, books, staplers, etc.).

In almost every situation, the shooter is vastly out numbered. These people expect everyone to run and hide and be easy targets. How many people are in a busy baggage claim at one time? If people were to attack a single person from all sides, it could accomplish a lot more then just letting him walk around and shoot people until he's done.

I'm not saying that I would have been able to "save the day", but I think people should be educated that hiding isn't always the best option. Instead of focusing on the suspect, more focus should be given on trying to prevent these tragedies from happening again. Giving this guy instant fame is not helping the situation.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:10 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yep. He was on a flight from Canada, had checked in his gun for the flight, was on the flight, got his baggage, did what NHDave just said.

If he's from New Jersey, why was he flying from Canada to Ft. Lauderdale? And with a gun? From Canada? Really?

You can have firearms in checked luggage on Canadian flights. But since a hand gin is a restricted fire arm, it would have had to have a cable or trigger lock.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:11 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
has the NRA come out and denounced this yet? Or the GOP?

Old 01-06-2017, 03:11 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The caption on that news clip said that the suspect had a history of mental problems.
I can't wait to see how the idiot could access his gun, ammo, and load up. The spin cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
has the NRA come out and denounced this yet? Or the GOP?
Oh sure... like I said, the spin cometh.

WTH would you expect anyone to be happy about or support this?

I guess this is also bringing out insane logic as well.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You can have firearms in checked luggage on Canadian flights. But since a hand gin is a restricted fire arm, it would have had to have a cable or trigger lock.
Ah. Good to know. I know that when I do research for moving to Alaska by driving, getting your handgun through Canada is pretty much a fat "NO!" even if you're going to move from the US to the US. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:15 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I can't wait to see how the idiot could access his gun, ammo, and load up. The spin cometh

Oh sure... like I said, the spin cometh.

WTH would you expect anyone to be happy about or support this?

I guess this is also bringing out insane logic as well.
so, the NRA or GOP haven't condemned this yet, or apologized for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies