Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 04:31 PM

435 posts, read 431,189 times

Advertisements

I do think it is interesting that this guy shows up at the FBI and talked about the US government forcing him to watch ISIS videos. I mean we had the FBI and local police knowing there wasn't something right with this guy earlier this fall and he was still allowed to carry. I would think they already know much about him given this prior incidence so hopefully they can share more soon.

I will say one thing - if you have mental issues you probably should not be living in Alaska. There is like 5 hours of daylight in Alaska this time of year and that isn't good for someone with mental health issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 04:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
When exactly did the term "terrorist attack" come to exclusively mean Muslim extremists?

Anyone can commit a terrorist attack. Any race, nationality, religion ... it's the act that makes something a terrorist attack. Not the identity person perpetrating it.

Dylan Roof committed a terrorist attack. Timothy McVeigh committed a terrorist attack. Why are people saying that today's shooting isn't a terrorist attack since the shooter appears to be a Hispanic American?

There's an FBI definition of an Act of Terrorism tied to consequences and compensation.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:33 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to this, firearms are prohibited on flights departing from Canada.

TP 14628 E - Prohibited Items List - Transport Canada

If true, maybe outgoing checks bags are not screened or perhaps it was missed.

Another possibility is the luggage or gun may have been stored in a locker at FLL and not transported.
It seems that the earlier report of going through Canada was in error. He flew from Alaska and transferred onto a Delta flight to Ft. Lauderdale in Minneapolis.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to this, firearms are prohibited on flights departing from Canada.

TP 14628 E - Prohibited Items List - Transport Canada

If true, maybe outgoing checks bags are not screened or perhaps it was missed.

Another possibility is the luggage or gun may have been stored in a locker at FLL and not transported.
Most reports say he was flying from Anchorage Alaska, not Canada.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
These shootings happen quite quickly. I don't know that most of us would have the reflexes to do anything but drop, maybe run, in the best of circumstances. In such a stressful scenario, who knows what any of us would be able to do.

Until people saw bodies on the ground, many thought it was firecrackers. Airport baggage claims are loud, echoey, and crowded - even identifying where the shooting is coming from would be difficult, much less reacting by throwing anything.
We saw this with the shooting in Dallas. People, including those with guns ran for their lives.

It all happens so fast.

Can you imagine the outcome if those with firearms started shooting at other with firearms, thinking they were snipers. Those with firearms and that the sniper was mobile contributed to an initial sense there were multiple shooters. At the time, reputable media reported unconfirmed reports of multiple shooters.

Social media and fake news tend to report unconfirmed information as fact.

And as others have said, when the investigation does not support the initial reports, some are inclined to believe it's a cover- up.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The caption on that news clip said that the suspect had a history of mental problems.

Whatever that means.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:45 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanJ View Post
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/817490792554135555

He was potentially a muslim...and the FBI let him ago.
Do you have any idea how many people with mental health issues are wandering around Alaska?

Some days it felt like everyone with a loose screw had rolled into the state. Anchorage has one of the last remaining state psychiatric hospitals and the units stay full. There's also an inpatient respite center and inpatient mental health units at the hospitals.

The Alaska Department of Corrections is the largest provider of in-patient psychiatric services in the state.

And this is just inpatient. Ton of folks with severe mental health issues on the street. The Anchorage police department has Crisis Intervention Teams to deal with all the mental issues they deal with on a daily basis.

I can't tell you how many people in Alaska believe they are undercover CIA agents, or Russian spies, or ... They will tell you this in strict confidence if you promise not to tell anyone else.

One woman was serious as a heart attack when she told me that Hugh Jackman had stolen her heart and six pints of blood.

I don't know why Alaska attracts the crazy folks, but it does.

I'd bet good money that he was not the first one to wander in and claiming he was working with ISIS.

Likely not the first one this week.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:46 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Dude reloaded twice,what took the heroes so long to drop him?

Old 01-06-2017, 04:54 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
I do think it is interesting that this guy shows up at the FBI and talked about the US government forcing him to watch ISIS videos. I mean we had the FBI and local police knowing there wasn't something right with this guy earlier this fall and he was still allowed to carry. I would think they already know much about him given this prior incidence so hopefully they can share more soon.

I will say one thing - if you have mental issues you probably should not be living in Alaska. There is like 5 hours of daylight in Alaska this time of year and that isn't good for someone with mental health issues.
Who would keep him from possessing a gun in Alaska?

You want to see a 2nd Amendment stronghold, go to Alaska. Everybody and their grandma has guns and ain't nobody interested in any silly talk about gun control. That's for lower 48 sissies and crybabies.

You try to disarm the mentally ill in Alaska, you'd have fight on your hands.

See above.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:04 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Air Canada released a statement saying he was not on any of their flights. We'll just have to wait for security footage to see where he came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies