Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:23 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you mean like how the democrats laid out ACA before they passed it?

like that?
Reposting it because it apparently can't be done enough:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Here we go again.

Pelosi was not talking about the final ACA legislation, but the Senate's initial version of the bill.

As ACA was entering the final stretch, opponents were rattling on how ACA was all about "death panels," abortions, being a "job-killer," ... yada, yada, yada.

The Senate had not yet passed a bill, and until they produced an actual piece of legislation that could be matched up, debated, and reconciled with the bill passed by the House, the process was at a standstill.

Pelosi pointed out that the Senate would need to actually vote for a bill so that everyone could see what was included in their version and what was not.

Just to be clear, Pelosi was talking about the initial Senate version of the bill and how it was all pure speculation at that point. No one knew what the Senate bill would actually contain until the Senate actually voted on it.

I realize this is a difficult concept to grasp. But I'm willing to repeat it as often as necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 06:56 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
uhm.... ACA was a shell that was filled out after passage by the executive branch. we never knew what the law was because it was built to give more power to the executive branch to create than typical laws.

knowing what was "in it" didn't even happen until years after its passage.

and what we do know is that it is a job killer. It did in fact create a situation where people were forced to either provide abortions or quit being medical professionals.

the law ended up in court because the law and its creators, and its executive fiat freaks forced people of honest religious beliefs to be in violation of their faith. REQUIRED.

The law is now crashing the system.

ACA was never intended to be a law that anyone understood before it was too late. IT WAS DESIGNED THAT WAY.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There goes entrepreneurship. Today's pimple-faced coder in the basement, gets an angel round of funding, takes on employees and they don't have employer sponsored healthcare. That doesn't show up until 10-20 employees. At that size anyone with an expensive condition could put the employer on precarious ground so they fire that employee. At will employment after all. Wow great plan there.
That is true. Many folks fail to realize how much influence employers have in dumping employees because of their health even though the employee still works everyday. If an employee developes a chronic condition, it not only effects the employee but the employers bottom line pertaining to insurance costs. This has been going on since the formulation of "Welfare Capitalism" (employer provided health insurance).

In the early post WW2 days when employer provided health insurance really took off, large employers were notorious for weeding out those employees with health issues. The practice over time was frowned opon, mainly through union negotiations. Laws then changed to discourage this behaviour but it still exists in subtle ways even today. I've seen it happen second hand, and it is also well documented in US health care history.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:29 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
^^^^ This is precisely the situation. Trump and the GOP are so Hellbent on getting rid of everything Obama, that they are simply going to repeal Obamacare and they have nothing figured out yet to replace it. I really feel sorry for the millions of people who depended on it and also those who have pre existing conditions. They are probably going to suffer the worst.

This is no different than everything else Trump did during his campaign.......he spouted all these great promises, but had no plans or programs to back them up. Anytime he was asked HOW he was going to do something, he basically said "I'll tell you when the time comes, trust me !"

Well, I don't trust him.

At this point I'd be happy if it was repealed and things went back to they way they were.

My health insurance sucks now.

Premiums more than doubled.

Deductible quadrupled.

And now EVERYTHING goes towards the deductible.

A simple office visit can cost me over $300.00. When it used to be $35.00.

I would have had a lot more respect for Dems and Obama if they had focused more on bringing down the actual costs of health care instead of forcing everyone to buy health insurance.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:33 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
At this point I'd be happy if it was repealed and things went back to they way they were.

My health insurance sucks now.

Premiums more than doubled.

Deductible quadrupled.

And now EVERYTHING goes towards the deductible.

Yep, I'm in that same boat. The Unaffordable Care Act has screwed a lot of people.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:41 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
= 20 million + with no healthcare.
Health insurance is not health care.

Not sure what it is people don't get about that.

What good is it forcing people to buy plans that have such high deductibles that they literally can't afford to use them?

Time and effort would have been better spent on a bipartisan effort to bring down the COSTS of health CARE.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That is true. Many folks fail to realize how much influence employers have in dumping employees because of their health even though the employee still works everyday. If an employee developes a chronic condition, it not only effects the employee but the employers bottom line pertaining to insurance costs. This has been going on since the formulation of "Welfare Capitalism" (employer provided health insurance).

In the early post WW2 days when employer provided health insurance really took off, large employers were notorious for weeding out those employees with health issues. The practice over time was frowned opon, mainly through union negotiations. Laws then changed to discourage this behaviour but it still exists in subtle ways even today. I've seen it happen second hand, and it is also well documented in US health care history.
This is particularly true of employers with smaller pools of employees. One or two heart surgeries and a cancer treatment or two could really bump up the numbers.

It's one of the reasons that older employees were often cut loose. Their medical bills tend to be higher and they are at more risk of strokes, heart attacks....

Old 01-17-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Health insurance is not health care.

Not sure what it is people don't get about that.

What good is it forcing people to buy plans that have such high deductibles that they literally can't afford to use them?
There's good in it. Insurance is two things, a scheme and a racket. What is more beautiful than having a mandate that compels millions to purchase insurance, pay a monthly premium with infrequent payouts. Lovely.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is particularly true of employers with smaller pools of employees. One or two heart surgeries and a cancer treatment or two could really bump up the numbers.

It's one of the reasons that older employees were often cut loose. Their medical bills tend to be higher and they are at more risk of strokes, heart attacks....
I've seen it happen in a very large defense contractor. This company has both union and non-union employees. This behaviour apparently is easier to accomplish with non-union employees. In particular a 15 year "benefits" employee who knew exactly what was going to happen to her having dealt with health insurance executives and their shenanigans at their corporate headquarters.

My personal experience was working for a small company, in which everyone was over 40. The rates were staggering long before the ACA.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:14 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:

I would have had a lot more respect for Dems and Obama if they had focused more on bringing down the actual costs of health care instead of forcing everyone to buy health insurance.
$35 for an office visit? You are remembering the good old days.

People seem to forget that health insurance costs were spiraling out of affordability leading up to ACA.

"Family health insurance premiums more than doubled between 1999 and 2009, far outpacing the growth in workers’ earnings and overall inflation."

"Since health insurance premiums are often shared between workers and their employers, this disproportionate rise in the cost of health insurance helps illustrate why it is increasingly difficult for both employers and their workers to afford."

Chart shows staggering rise in health insurance costs

Though they tried to meet the rising costs with higher deductibles and raising employee contributions, many small businesses ended up dropping their health insurance benefits altogether.

Many other small business closed due to the cross-country onslaught of Walmart and Sam's Club. Watch the Growth of Walmart and Sam's Club Across America | FlowingData Walmart is not known for providing generous health insurance benefits for employees.

When the financial meltdown hit, lot of people lost their jobs and their health insurance along with it.

So you have health insurance costs spiraling out of control, people losing their health insurance left and right, insurance companies declining to insure pre-existing conditions, dropping policies when claims were made, caps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies