Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Well, as Nancy Pelosi stated, “We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it.”
Here we go again.

Pelosi was not talking about the final ACA legislation, but the Senate's initial version of the bill. (Google this if you doubt me. This information is easily available.)

As ACA was entering the final stretch, opponents were rattling on how ACA was all about "death panels," abortions, being a "job-killer," ... yada, yada, yada.

The Senate had not yet passed a bill, and until they produced an actual piece of legislation that could be matched up, debated, and reconciled with the bill passed by the House, the process was at a standstill.

Pelosi pointed out that the Senate would need to actually vote for a bill so that everyone could see what was included in their version and what was not.

Just to be clear, Pelosi was talking about the initial Senate version of the bill and how it was all pure speculation at that point. No one knew what the Senate bill would actually contain until the Senate actually voted on it.

I realize this is a difficult concept to grasp. But I'm willing to repeat it as often as necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 07:13 AM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Well, as Nancy Pelosi stated, “We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it.”

transparency - votes at midnight- secret votes- bills Not to disclose- bills approved- before the other side even gets whiff of it-- - yep yep
business as usual

Old 01-15-2017, 07:13 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Republicans refused to modify anything about the ACA.
Was this the bill that was created and passed with zero input from the Republicans?

Old 01-15-2017, 07:16 AM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Was this the bill that was created and passed with zero input from the Republicans?
which one? and when- the original ACA they knew all about it- and showed the 3000 pager-- but the govt would shut down again--- so they put their hands up after how many YEARS?? NO honey they knew and fought it

Old 01-15-2017, 07:30 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Overall, only about half of Americans receive employer-sponsored health insurance. The rest are covered through Medicaid, Medicare, self-paid plans, or uninsured.

Middle and low-income workers are less likely to be covered than than higher-paid employees.

There has been a downward trend in companies offering middle and low-income workers health insurance benefits. This has been going since way before ACA and was one of the reason for including this mandate for full-time employees of firms of a certain size.

Employers have been getting around this by keeping employee hours under the full-time level and by dividing their company into two parts and treating full-time employees as two part-time employees of two different companies.

Had lunch this week with a woman whose husband's employer did just that. He gets two W-2s and no health insurance. But then, his company never has offered health insurance to employees other than the top level managers.
Personally I won't work for a company that does not heavily subsidize my health insurance. I suggest others do the same.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 AM

524 posts, read 362,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
^^^^ This is precisely the situation. Trump and the GOP are so Hellbent on getting rid of everything Obama, that they are simply going to repeal Obamacare and they have nothing figured out yet to replace it. I really feel sorry for the millions of people who depended on it and also those who have pre existing conditions. They are probably going to suffer the worst.

This is no different than everything else Trump did during his campaign.......he spouted all these great promises, but had no plans or programs to back them up. Anytime he was asked HOW he was going to do something, he basically said "I'll tell you when the time comes, trust me !"

Well, I don't trust him.
ummm...he is not the president yet...WTF!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:34 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
which one? and when- the original ACA they knew all about it- and showed the 3000 pager-- but the govt would shut down again--- so they put their hands up after how many YEARS?? NO honey they knew and fought it
Passed without a single repub vote. How is the ACA working out today? Perhaps they should have listened to their counterparts on the other side of the aisle instead of forcing it through.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:35 AM

524 posts, read 362,200 times
Quote:
If anybody was in the dark about Obamacare, it was because they had their eyes closed. That bill was debated, talked about on the news, posted on websites...

Trump and the Republicans are clear they plan to repeal and replace ACA right off the bat. Trump says he has a plan. Republicans have been working on this for years now. Surely, they have a plan.

HSA and tax credits are non-starters. They really only work for higher-income workers, most of whom already have company or government funded health insurance.

So what's the plan?
I think Trump said..."you can keep your Doctor"?

Old 01-15-2017, 07:53 AM

3,651 posts, read 3,787,843 times
Maybe they are going to read it first.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:57 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
They aren't releasing it until April 1st
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies