Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:30 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times

Advertisements

Although I believe global warming is real unlike many on the right, I believe the warmer temperatures could be a good thing. Too much of the planet is way too cold.. those who get too hot in tropical climates can simply move to a more temperate climate.. people tend to flock to warm climates and people who like a Minneapolis type climate are fruitcakes. These leftists tend to talk about global warming but many don't want to do anything in their own lives to help.. they'd rather just throw other people's money at it while they continue to build sprawling mcmansions and drive huge vehicles, fly around the world on vacation multiple times a year, etc.

Add in all the nations that are developing like China, India, etc. and it's a recipe for higher CO2 levels for sure. Caring about the environment starts with not flying 100,000+ miles per year all over the world and staying put. I love confronting lefties on this because they are all about seeing the world, experiencing everything life has to offer, etc... but that takes resources.. fuel.. produces greenhouse gases... meanwhile though I voted for Trump my carbon footprint is probably lower than the majority of Hillary voters because of my lifestyle, and certainly the uber wealthy, radical left in Hollywood that fly all over the place, consuming mass resources to make their films.. though admittedly less so lately where most movies can be made entirely on computer now.. I suppose that's an improvement there. Viva le technology!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 01:58 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Although I believe global warming is real unlike many on the right, I believe the warmer temperatures could be a good thing. Too much of the planet is way too cold.. those who get too hot in tropical climates can simply move to a more temperate climate.. people tend to flock to warm climates and people who like a Minneapolis type climate are fruitcakes. These leftists tend to talk about global warming but many don't want to do anything in their own lives to help.. they'd rather just throw other people's money at it while they continue to build sprawling mcmansions and drive huge vehicles, fly around the world on vacation multiple times a year, etc.

Add in all the nations that are developing like China, India, etc. and it's a recipe for higher CO2 levels for sure. Caring about the environment starts with not flying 100,000+ miles per year all over the world and staying put. I love confronting lefties on this because they are all about seeing the world, experiencing everything life has to offer, etc... but that takes resources.. fuel.. produces greenhouse gases... meanwhile though I voted for Trump my carbon footprint is probably lower than the majority of Hillary voters because of my lifestyle, and certainly the uber wealthy, radical left in Hollywood that fly all over the place, consuming mass resources to make their films.. though admittedly less so lately where most movies can be made entirely on computer now.. I suppose that's an improvement there. Viva le technology!
No doubt there will be some positives regarding warming in some areas, but we are not just talking about warming. We are talking about the climate changing, some of it could be very bad in some areas...The negative impact will outweigh the positive for most areas.

http://climate.nasa.gov/effects/

Old 01-20-2017, 02:16 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You stated there were palm trees in Antarctica at one time, I simply asked you the physical changes that caused that, specifically. Also you might want to add in the reason that you believe we have the hottest year on record since you believe that it's other than man, or maybe you just don't know.
On the palm trees that one is easy. Antarctica, Australia, and Asia were once connected so there was no Antarctic Circumpolar Current and Antarctic Convergence which is responsible much of the weather that we see today. This including the relatively cool earth as compared to much of the Earth's history. Without both, the Earth was much warmer, sea levels were higher (see the fall line in the USA), and we had palm in Antartica and at one time an ocean in what is now the Great Planes of North America.

I never said that current global warming was not due to man. I said there has been no credible scientific method used to establish that there is. Huge difference.

Remember that on the cosmic calendar, Humans have only existed since 10:34 pm December 31 and recorded history since 11:59:47 pm on December 31.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
Once again. It is astounding to me to me that people think organizations like NASA, NOAA or the IPCC are not influenced by politics and even advocacy.

This argument is framed as :

On one side there is this monolithic consensus between all of these totally impartial scientists who are never influenced by politics, activism or the simple fact that the funding they operate and subsist upon is predicated on there being an imminent crisis.

Versus

On the other side there is big business and most conservatives who flat out deny any science either for political or religious reasons or to protect profits.

I'll bet that many people arguing on this forum and complaining about "flat earthers" or "deniers" subscribe to this simplistic word view.

The reality is..

Science is not conducted in some idealistic vacuum that is adheres to the scientific method above all else! It is subject to politics, to the government or entities that fund it and choose which research they green light. It is subject to human ego, desire for power or influence, protection of reputation, etc.
The peer review process has been riddled with scandals and controversies.

This isn't some conspiracy, it's simply the reality that science mixed with politics does NOT produce good science.

That does not mean that all of the science saying there is global warming is bad or should be ignored but it should not be seen as absolute or gospel either as many people do.

Again. It's amazing to me that people think science can be corrupted or bought if it's SKEPTICAL science but NASA, the IPCC, et al, despite their many scandals, retractions and false predictions are somehow above reproach!

Old 01-20-2017, 07:46 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
On the palm trees that one is easy. Antarctica, Australia, and Asia were once connected so there was no Antarctic Circumpolar Current and Antarctic Convergence which is responsible much of the weather that we see today. This including the relatively cool earth as compared to much of the Earth's history. Without both, the Earth was much warmer, sea levels were higher (see the fall line in the USA), and we had palm in Antartica and at one time an ocean in what is now the Great Planes of North America.

I never said that current global warming was not due to man. I said there has been no credible scientific method used to establish that there is. Huge difference.

Remember that on the cosmic calendar, Humans have only existed since 10:34 pm December 31 and recorded history since 11:59:47 pm on December 31.
The reason there were palm trees and other tropical plants is that it was much warmer millions of years ago at the southern and northern latitudes, why are you bringing up convergence and currents. Around 50 million years ago it was quite warm and the reason there were palm trees as you described, no one is arguing that it wasn't warmer in our past so can we dispense with that argument.

You didn't answer the question what is driving the current warming if not man, certainly there must be some science you can quote.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:50 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Once again. It is astounding to me to me that people think organizations like NASA, NOAA or the IPCC are not influenced by politics and even advocacy.

This argument is framed as :

On one side there is this monolithic consensus between all of these totally impartial scientists who are never influenced by politics, activism or the simple fact that the funding they operate and subsist upon is predicated on there being an imminent crisis.

Versus

On the other side there is big business and most conservatives who flat out deny any science either for political or religious reasons or to protect profits.

I'll bet that many people arguing on this forum and complaining about "flat earthers" or "deniers" subscribe to this simplistic word view.

The reality is..

Science is not conducted in some idealistic vacuum that is adheres to the scientific method above all else! It is subject to politics, to the government or entities that fund it and choose which research they green light. It is subject to human ego, desire for power or influence, protection of reputation, etc.
The peer review process has been riddled with scandals and controversies.

This isn't some conspiracy, it's simply the reality that science mixed with politics does NOT produce good science.

That does not mean that all of the science saying there is global warming is bad or should be ignored but it should not be seen as absolute or gospel either as many people do.

Again. It's amazing to me that people think science can be corrupted or bought if it's SKEPTICAL science but NASA, the IPCC, et al, despite their many scandals, retractions and false predictions are somehow above reproach!
How would it benefit an organization like NASA to make up climate warming, do you think they do the same with the space program? The only reason people think it's political is because their findings don't agree with certain groups opinions.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:57 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Who has a longer and more sordid history of lying?

The scientific community
Politicians and oil companies

Can anyone find an instance where a politician or businessman with no scientific background was railing against some fact held as true by the majority of the scientific community and actually turned out to be right, overturning the scientific consensus?

Preferably after say the year 1800 or so.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:05 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Although I believe global warming is real unlike many on the right, I believe the warmer temperatures could be a good thing.
There will definitely be pros and cons to the warming climate as we progress but to deny it is happening at all is just a failure to connect with reality.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:14 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
Quote:
We will see if Trump changes his mind that this is just a Chinese conspiracy. So far 16 of the 17 hottest years on record have occurred since 2000. This will likely come up with his EPA appointee.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/s...=top-news&_r=0

I wonder how hot the earth was back when the ice caps melted from the Gulf coast region back to the far Northern hemisphere ? I'll bet one of Trumps ancestors left a fire burning in his cave and caused the warming.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:15 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,882 times
Quote:
We will see if Trump changes his mind that this is just a Chinese conspiracy. So far 16 of the 17 hottest years on record have occurred since 2000. This will likely come up with his EPA appointee.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/s...=top-news&_r=0
It's cold in Wisconsin right now. How exactly do you and politically motivated people in the sciences (not objective, non-politically motivated people in the sciences) construe that as profoundly positive for the human population of Wisconsin and its farming crops?

Humans are basically a tropical species. Hence in part why a nuclear winter would be profoundly negative for the human population and not the hot a$& Amazon forest (which is one of if not the most bioproductive regions of all of planet earth).

The earth is in a mini-ice age. It's good for biological life and humans if the earth warms up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies