Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
So I guess only liberal women are "strong" women, eh?
What exactly is a "strong" woman anyway? I've always thought that was a condescending term. We live in a society or aspire to live in a society with equality so why the qualifier? It's as if the default for women is *not* strong and we need some qualifier to identify the strong ones.
The strong ones stand up for what they believe in and speak out about it. The strong ones refuse to be objectified, belittled, and treated merely as sex objects. When you have a President with a track record of saying vile things about women and treating them terribly, you either stand up against it (strong woman) or you excuse it or pretend it never happened (weak woman)

Old 01-22-2017, 09:45 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Why should any of us pay for public schools for someone else's child? Especially those of us who live in cities that have wretched public schools, where many people feel that they have to pay out of their won pockets for private school?
And what do you think is going to happen now? Trump will withdraw his nomination of Betsy Devos? Republicans in the senate will vote against her because of your march?
Because educating children benefits all of us, I'm not sure why you can't figure that out on your own though, that's kind of scary. No one expects Trump to withdraw any of his nominees from consideration but who knows after what happened yesterday, there might be a few Republican senators who don't just give him a blank check on some of the most outrageous cabinet picks.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:46 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You need to work on convincing yourself that it was a total waste, because most of us know that it was not. But I get it that Trump fans are scared of the implications of what happened yesterday, if I supported him I would be too.
Dear,

Trump fans love what they did. The fact that Hillary Clinton is drinking at home instead of the WH speaks to this.

I hope they keep parading around in the Curly hats.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:47 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Wrong...

Members of Congress want to be re-elected. They will be listening to the ones who voted them into power. If these women had any, which suggests they are an extremely small minority of the voting public, the Congress would still be in the Democrats hands.

This speaks for itself.
Of course, they want to be re-elected. That's why we can use their need to have good press, not bad press and why we can use calls and meetings because we do vote and they will be voted out if they do not listen and act. That is how the tea party managed to get their congress people to stop anything that the democrats wanted to do. We will do the same thing they did and it works.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:48 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,536,375 times
I think Ashley Judd defines vile.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:49 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,105,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The strong ones stand up for what they believe in and speak out about it. The strong ones refuse to be objectified, belittled, and treated merely as sex objects. When you have a President with a track record of saying vile things about women and treating them terribly, you either stand up against it (strong woman) or you excuse it or pretend it never happened (weak woman)

You realize Madonna was a protester right? Lol

Old 01-22-2017, 09:50 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Those protests had specific objectives. Many of the signs yesterday were very funny and creative:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...on-washington/

What it came down to is Trump said nasty things and we want to keep the right to abortions.
Protests always start out of anger and the result is they spark activism that works toward the specific objectives you mentioned. All along the march route in D.C. and other cities were sign up points to join activist groups. There won't be just one big p*ssyhat activist group born out of this march but rather dozens with slightly different objectives with one common core value: to stop Trump from dragging us into an Orwellian World.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-22-2017 at 10:05 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 09:51 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The strong ones stand up for what they believe in and speak out about it. ....
So why didn't they vote?

There are are over 5M women here in NC and though Hillary spent 10s of millions campaigning here, she lost by wide margin.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:51 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
These women make me a embarrassed to have a ***** lol. Just a bunch of loser whack jobs that have all kinds of mental issues.

I love this woman's video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsmKdp1Nww0
Great video.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Wrong.

We will take a leaf out of the tea party's book. We will call our Senators and Representatives to show our displeasure when they decide to vote against civil rights - including the rights of women, but not limited to those rights. We will have a local strategy that targets our individual members of congress and a defensive approach focused on stopping Trump from implementing the agenda built on racism, authoritarianism and corruption.

Members of Congress want constituents to think well of them and they want good local press so that they can be re-elected. We can use this to make them listen and act. We can use the local town halls, local photo-ops, district meetings with the member and co-ordinated calls on the issues to get action from Congress.

Believe me this is already being done.

Aside from that many of us are putting our money where our mouths are. Donations to the ACLU, the NAACP, Planned Parenthood, the Southern Poverty Law Center and other groups that are fighting to keep us free are up already and will continue to climb in the coming months. For the next two years, we will continue to fight. This march is only the beginning.
When will you people realize that the Silent Majority is a real thing? That all of this sound and fury signifies nothing on election day? I guess it will never sink in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies