Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 01:10 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Sorry, as a woman myself, NO!

Yesterday's temper tantrum march was a narcissistic and self-indulgent "Look at me! Look at me!" shameless display of center of attention-seeking.

What SHOULD be protested instead: The REAL misogynists who oppress and mistreat women in the Middle East.

Where the narcissistic display of attention seeking SHOULD have focused efforts instead? An organized fundraiser for Planned Parenthood and shelter, food, and clothing for female victims of domestic violence and their children.

Shame on all the self-indulgent spoiled brats who participated in yesterday's temper tantrum march. For all your smug self-righteousness, you all SHOULD be aiming for MUCH more constructive and helpful results.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-22-2017 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 01-22-2017, 01:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sorry, as a woman myself, NO!

Yesterday's temper tantrum march was a narcissistic and self-indulgent "Look at me! Look at me!" shameless display of center of attention-seeking.

What SHOULD be protested instead: The REAL misogynists who oppress and mistreat women in the Middle East.

Where the narcissistic display of attention seeking SHOULD have focused efforts instead? An organized fundraiser for Planned Parenthood and shelter, food, and clothing for female victims of domestic violence and their children.

Shame on all the self-indulgent spoiled brats who participated in yesterday's temper tantrum march. For all your smug self-righteousness, you all SHOULD be aiming for MUCH more constructive and helpful results.
You make a valid point. A march in the absence of sustained future effort to right the wrongs that brought us together would be empty symbolism. But just as others are asking us to refrain from judging the president in the first 48 hours, perhaps we should similarly give the marchers time to organize their efforts into real accomplishment. Yesterday's rally was also an inauguration of sorts, a launching pad for a movement encompassing many different passions. And, yes, I attended the activities. I found them inspiring, and I now know exactly where I want to put my time and energy. I have already reached out to the local organization that works on the issue.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-22-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You make a valid point. A march in the absence of sustained future effort to right the wrongs that brought us together would be empty symbolism. But just as others are asking us to refrain from judging the president in the first 48 hours, perhaps we should similarly give the marchers time to organize their efforts into real accomplishment. Yesterday's rally was also inauguration of sorts, a launching pad for a movement encompassing many different passions. And, yes, I attended the activities. I found them inspiring, and I now know exactly where I want to put my time and energy. I have already reached out to the local organization that works on the issue.
Really? Women have only cared about the oppression and mistreatment of women in the Middle East and Planned Parenthood for 48 hours? Oh, please... All that money wasted on the narcissistic self-indulgent temper tantrum march would have been MUCH better spent to fund donations to Planned Parenthood, etc. But, nooooo... the smug self-centered narcissists had to spend it on making themselves the center of attention.

March organizers and participants: Put your efforts and money where your mouths are, do some REAL good, and stop with all the smug self-congratulatory narcissistic attention-seeking.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Really? Women have only cared about the oppression and mistreatment of women in the Middle East and Planned Parenthood for 48 hours? Oh, please... All that money wasted on the narcissistic self-indulgent temper tantrum march would have been MUCH better spent to fund donations to Planned Parenthood, etc. But, nooooo... the smug self-centered narcissists had to spend it on making themselves the center of attention.

March organizers and participants: Put your efforts and money where your mouths are, do some REAL good, and stop with all the smug self-congratulatory narcissistic attention-seeking.
Neither Planned Parenthood nor the Middle East are my first priority, and neither are they the priority of every woman who attended the march yesterday. My issue is funding for public education, and I connected with several people and a local organization that work on the issue this weekend. Clearly PP and the Middle East are priorities for you, though, and I would encourage you to get involved. That's how things get done.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-22-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Neither Planned Parenthood nor the Middle East are not my first priority, and neither are they the priority of every woman who attended the march yesterday. My issue is funding for public education, and I connected with several people and a local organization that work on the issue this weekend. Clearly PP and the Middle East are priorities for you, though, and I would encourage you to get involved. That's how things get done.
The temper tantrum march was "supposed" to be about Trump's private off-hand locker room talk remark, hence the pussyhats, which is why I focused on the Middle East being MUCH more misogynistic than Trump's off-hand private remark. But did any of the temper tantrum marchers care one whit about the oppression and mistreatment of women in the Middle East, including female genital mutilation? No. And shame on them all for that. Hypocrites.

Are you aware that some Muslim families living in the US send their young daughters back to their home country to have FGM performed, as is customary with their belief system?

Female Genital Mutilation on the Rise in the U.S.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/u...road.html?_r=0

But, no... the big 'outrage' is that Trump "said" something.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
The temper tantrum march was "supposed" to be about Trump's private off-hand locker room talk remark, hence the pussyhats, which is why I focused on the Middle East being MUCH more misogynistic than Trump's off-hand private remark. But did any of the temper tantrum marchers care one whit about the oppression and mistreatment of women in the Middle East, including female genital mutilation? No. And shame on them all for that. Hypocrites.

Are you aware that some Muslim families living in the US send their young daughters back to their home country to have FGM performed, as is customary with their belief system?

Female Genital Mutilation on the Rise in the U.S.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/u...road.html?_r=0

But, no... the big 'outrage' is that Trump "said" something.
Yes, actually I am, and I find it incredibly disturbing; however, it is not an issue I choose to focus on at this point in my life. For some of the marchers, FGM is a priority, and I fervently hope they put their time and energy into righting that wrong. Personally, I am focused on preventing public education from being gutted by the incoming SecEd. Again, if FGM is your issue, please get involved. The world needs you.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, actually I am, and I find it incredibly disturbing; however, it is not an issue I choose to focus on at this point in my life. For some of the protestors, FGM is a priority, and I fervently hope they put their time and energy into righting that wrong. Personally, I am focused on preventing public education from being gutted by the incoming SecEd. Again, if FGM is your issue, please get involved. The world needs you.
Why was wearing pussyhats and protesting Trump's off-hand private remark more important than protesting FGM being performed on US resident girls? Do you have an explanation for that?

Old 01-22-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Why was wearing pussyhats and protesting Trump's off-hand private remark more important than protesting FGM being performed on US resident girls? Do you have an explanation for that?
Oh for pity's sake, I am not responsible for every freaking person who showed up for that march nor do I intend to speak for them. If FGM is an important issue for you, then get involved!

Old 01-22-2017, 02:18 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
To all "men" here that are against yesterdays march: you are small minded, ignorant, and a simpleton and no self respecting women would want anything to do with you and probably no one with a brain ever cared for what you have to say giving you are dumber than a bag of rocks.
I'll start supporting women's marches when they march for oppressed women in the middle east treated like slaves, women being sold to sex traffickers in Africa and little girls in Indonesia being forced into child slave labor with horrid working conditions.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I'll start supporting women's marches when they march for oppressed women in the middle east treated like slaves, women being sold to sex traffickers in Africa and little girls in Indonesia being forced into child slave labor with horrid working conditions.
Well, then, you better start since I know women who marched who head such organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies