Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 10:17 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It is a matter of opinion. No doubt about it. But I called the election for Trump way back in 2015 because it's clear what concerns people the most. i.e. Putting food on the table for their families. However get back to me when the politicians who support this sort of nonsense take back the US Senate, US House, the Presidency and the 1100 + state and federal seats they have lost over the past 6 years.
This speaks for itself.
Actually gerrymandering, restrictive voter ID laws, eliminating polling places and limiting early voting, and dark money probably had more to do with Democratic losses than anything else.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:19 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Was the Silent Majority the 48% who voted for Hillary or the 46% that voted for Trump?

I'd say the Silent Majority are the brain dead who stayed home and watched Netflix.
Are you back to talking about the California popular vote as argument? Unless you live in CA, it's meaningless. But since you persist with that type of argument then....

Here in the battleground state of NC Trump won 51% and beat Hillary by 5 points.

OH, and BTW, I voted for Trump & watch Netflix.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:21 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Around the globe? If you ever see me at a march to protest the inauguration of another country's politician, please, I beg you: shoot me in the head. Because that's some saaaaaaad $h!t. And if I ever sink that low, I don't want to live no mo'.
So, you would not have marched in opposition to Hitler, Idi Amin, Pol Pot...the list goes on.

Says more about you, sir, than those hundreds of thousands who peacefully marched yesterday

Old 01-22-2017, 10:21 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Was the Silent Majority the 48% who voted for Hillary or the 46% that voted for Trump?

I'd say the Silent Majority are the brain dead who stayed home and watched Netflix.
Who won the election, again? Who won the house and senate? Who won in 2004 and in 1972?

Old 01-22-2017, 10:22 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Right: loyalty, purity, autho.
I think you need to remove the middle word.

The real key to the right and Trump is RWA "Right Wing Authoritarianism" - a about 30% of the population meets that criteria. They wouldn't care if Trump raped 10 13 year olds or grabbed 1,000 puzzies. They don't care how many contractors he cheated, how many times he went bankrupt or how much he cheated investors, taxpayers and bondholders out of.

I wouldn't call that purity.

But Authoritarianism means you support pretty much ANYTHING based on what your idea of a "strong leader" thinks. This is why you see "Christians" loving a dude who committed more sins (and never repents) than virtually any living soul. It's why they will stand behind his lies and approve of his cabinet picks....and pretty much everything he does.

Luckily, 70% of the population are NOT authoritarians and may evenly become evidence based.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:23 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
and taking up knitting too.... it has to be good
One would think this is to domestic......what's next learning to bake cookies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Trump should get off his fat a$$ and do some walking himself. Preferably out of the WH and into
prison. Or a mental hospital. I'm flexible.
Oh, look another snowflake alert!
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
She's a strong woman. A crazy successful strong woman with a foul mouth.
Not quite what most of us consider to be a strong woman......strong women are not left with their son wanting nothing to do with them.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Or marching was just the cool thing to do yesterday.

They had two options. They made their choice, and they obviously had a reason at the time for making their choice. If WOMEN who then went out to protest for "women's rights" didn't vote for Hillary, a woman, maybe they should seriously ask themselves why and what they hell they did/are doing. "Buyer's remorse" with voting IMO is complete BS. The candidates and their good and bad - but overwhelmingly bad - are shoved down our throats for over a year. There are at least three debates, from RNC and DNC earlier on to the final three with the final two candidates right before the election. People should know full well what they are doing on election day and if they don't and somehow later regret it on inauguration day, I don't feel sorry for them.
I'll agree with you there. Of all the things you can say about Clinton or Trump, one thing you cannot say is that either one was/is obscure.

I marched yesterday.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:30 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
[quote=fat lou: "Why should any of us pay for public schools for someone else's child? Especially those of us who live in cities that have wretched public schools..."

[B]Once again, that says it all, right there. Good job advocating for our country's future well-being and an educated and informed citizenry.

If your local public schools are lacking, what are you doing to change that? Do you volunteer, support school board candidates who will work for change, tutor, contribute materials or dollars or time to your local schools to help meet their needs? Do you support adequate funding? Do you support adequate education and continuing education for teachers and other school staff?

If you do none of these things, then you cannot complain about wretched public schools with any hope or expectation of being taken seriously.[/b]

Last edited by CraigCreek; 01-22-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 10:30 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Who won the election, again? Who won the house and senate? Who in 2004 and in 1972?
A criminal who left office in disgraced won in 1972. A re-up appointed by the SCOTUS won in 2004.

The house is gerrymandered and the Senate is not dependent on "majority" of Americans. Hopefully you understand that. The so-called "moral majority" (the one who approves of Trumps adultery and all the other sins) was based on a very different population than today.

Where we are now is that the majority are more reasonable, logically and - yes - liberal. But our political system allows manipulation around the edges (gerrymandering, small state senators, russian hacking, etc.) - so the GOP is holding onto power using those tricks.

Given current trends this cannot last very much longer.

Example - Florida - which we know tetters on the edge. Without Jeb as Gov. Gore would have on Florida in 2000. Obama won it twice. Rick Scott is Gov. without having gotten 50% of the vote. The legislature is GOP due to power of empty farmlands owned by Paper Companies and Mormons.

But as more and more Baby Boomers and the next generations move there - and as the old hats die off, it becomes more and more purple. Heck, I was in Sarasota yesterday...this is Trump Central (landslide) and there was a March which had 15K plus people. It was by far the biggest crowd ever in Sarasota...and this is a highly conservative place. Most of the crowd - as with more floridians - were originally from elsewhere (or at least looked so - they had teeth, etc,).

I wouldn't be so cocky about the moral majority - with an immoral POTUS at the helm.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:40 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You need to work on convincing yourself that it was a total waste, because most of us know that it was not. But I get it that Trump fans are scared of the implications of what happened yesterday, if I supported him I would be too.
apparently you do not have any answers to the questions I posted, so you attempt to insult me.
Sorry, it didn't work.
The only "implications" of the protest marches I see are that there are disaffected people out there who like to make useless noise. Such protests engender no fear in my heart or soul at all. If I pay attention to them at all, I find them rather hilarious.
MLK accomplished something big with his protests.
Rosa Parks accomplished something big.
The lunch counter sit-ins accomplished something big.

Six months from now, the participants of the marches will have a warm fuzzy, thinking about what they did, but few others will remember the marches, and the marchers will be unable to point to very many (if any) good results of their efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies