Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Katie Rich be fired from NBC's Saturday Night Live?
Yes - her tweet was tasteless and over the top 75 71.43%
No - it's freedom of speech 30 28.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,986,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Trump's kid is an autistic strangeo. The end.
Thanks for letting all of us know how immature you are.

Noted; don't take this poster worthy of a reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 04:40 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,219,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Thanks for letting all of us know how immature you are.

Noted; don't take this poster worthy of a reply.
do as I say not as I do

Old 01-22-2017, 04:43 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,328,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I can't believe you're asking that or need an explanation, but here goes.

*I* am not tweeting horrible things about Barron, because I am a decent human being who already understands that Katie Rich's tweet was completely horrid and inappropriate. If she is fired, that sends a message to others that such actions will not be tolerated.

Clear now?
No.

It sends a message to who?

Old 01-22-2017, 04:49 PM
Status: "Trump is the BLOAT...Biggest Loser of All Time!" (set 8 days ago)

5,789 posts, read 3,622,034 times
Yep, she should be fired. Spoofs against a president, and even their adult children are one thing. Spoofing a 10 year old boy is ENTIRELY beyond the pale. And I say this as one *firmly* in the anti-Trump camp. BTW, as for freedom of speech - it only says the *government* may not abridge what you have to say. It says NOTHING about what non-governmental entities may restrict. NBC and its parent Comcast, being privately owned entities (which corporations do qualify for in many manners of speaking), do have the right to control their employees speech to a considerable (if not quite 100%) extent. Saying or doing something that can damage a company's goodwill or legitimate public relations IS fair game for dismissal.

Obviously I'm excluding legitimate whistleblowing or other acts of criminal and ethical wrongdoing that need to be exposed, but that's clearly not the point of my post.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:03 PM

11,124 posts, read 5,635,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Should lose her job, yes.

Just because Trump and his worshippers are completely classless doesn't mean the civilized among us should behave similarly.
That's it, exactly. But I couldn't care less about some joke-writing hack. The welfare of this poor young man is of much more concern. Who would want to have his life, being paraded around like a visual prop, but not allowed to say a word or express an emotion? What appropriate social interactions will he have and what will he be able to do that would be part of a real boyhood? His time during his father's term could not be any more different than that of the Obama sisters. If I were him, I'd say a lot and then they wouldn't force me to appear in public again.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 PM

6,534 posts, read 6,746,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No.

It sends a message to who?
To anyone not wanting to risk their job, especially high profile people with lots of followers, like Katie Rich. I thought everyone knew that employers keep close tabs on what their employees say on social media. I'm frequently reading stories about someone who was fired for posting or tweeting something nasty/rude/politically incorrect, that their company considered a poor reflection on the company.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:16 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,301,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Did he say something about a child?

Amazing the 360 you people are making, from when people talked about Malia smoking pot.
Ya know?

Malia was seen smoking pot at Lalapalooza, lifting up her skirt & twerking. She did it. She was also 18 years old at the time.

It wasn't a future prediction made up by a writer who writes skits for a tv show, it happened. Had she not been one of Obama's daughters no one would have noticed or cared.

But the 10 year old son of the POTUS, who has done nothing but act like a well-behaved 10 year old little boy? No.

Cross that line and expect backlash.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:19 PM

19,929 posts, read 12,222,492 times
This reminds me of Letterman's "joke" about Palin's 14 yr old daughter getting knocked up by A-Rod.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:24 PM

2,964 posts, read 2,918,205 times
SNL isn't even funny anymore. Even know I disagreed with their viewpoints, I watched it because it actually was funny. The Daily Show with Steve Stewart was hilarious.

SNL anymore is a straight-face before a flipped channel. They need a better Trump impersonator. Baldwin just isn't up to par with what they had going with B.Clinton and the first + second G.Bush actors.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,781,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Nope, freedom of speech. You know that thing in the constitution that conservatives either fawn over or hate depending on who uses it.
The issue isn't whether it was legal. Of course it is her right to verbally assault a 10 year old. The issue is whether it is right to do so. That NBC has not even issued "it doesn't reflect the opinions of NBC" is pretty telling. Most employers frown upon employees that make them look bad. Few would condone it as NBC appears to have done by their silence.

Nobody with any moral or ethical base can possibly think what she did was OK. That you do says a lot about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies