Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
At the rate that stupidity and lack of common sense seem to be spreading, I'm not so sure that they're not contagious.
It only spreads to the susceptible, which are those who already have the dumbed-down gene.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
Again, I call BS. A mistaken remark? Calling a blatant LIE an "alternative fact" is a mistaken remark? No. It's gaslighting, it's trying to make people doubt their own eyes and ears, and it's extremely dangerous for a supposedly free society. This is far from meaningless. You're a frog sitting in a pot of water that will soon boil, and you don't even have any idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there are some who just will not give up; they have nothing much to do but spend time blasting his staff for a mistaken remark. As you say, the left and especially the media is so biased they have nothing better to do but dwell on meaningless subjects.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:57 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there are some who just will not give up; they have nothing much to do but spend time blasting his staff for a mistaken remark. As you say, the left and especially the media is so biased they have nothing better to do but dwell on meaningless subjects.
Trump sent Sean Spicer out there specifically to lie - oops, present "alternative facts". Trump was so thin-skinned that he could not stand that Obama had a larger audience. Wonder if Trump had a chance to watch the tribute at the end of Saturday Night Live last night where they sang "To Sir With Love" to Obama as a tribute. Poor Sean Spicer and Kellyanne would be sent out at once to call them unpatriotic or something.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:57 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Alternative facts? We're talking alternative reality here.

Trump and his minions live in an alternative BIZARRO world. Very scary.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:59 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Trump and his minions live in an alternative BIZARRO world. Very scary.
Next Kellyanne will say people keep listening to Sean Spicer's words instead knowing what's in his heart.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It would have been so great if the press corps shut down their cameras and walked out in the middle of Sean Spicer yesterday. Kellyanne would be exploding right now.

Every time I hear Sean Spicer spit out "Period!" I think of Animal House and the "Pledge Pin!"
I sincerely hope the press rethinks their focus on 'access'. In this instance 'access' to the WH means only more lies and propaganda.

I hope they report the truth and not the propaganda spewed by Kellyanne and Spicer.

IF that means they are not allowed in the briefing room ~ who cares?? Their audience could care less.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Again, I call BS. A mistaken remark? Calling a blatant LIE an "alternative fact" is a mistaken remark? No. It's gaslighting, it's trying to make people doubt their own eyes and ears, and it's extremely dangerous for a supposedly free society. This is far from meaningless. You're a frog sitting in a pot of water that will soon boil, and you don't even have any idea.
^^^^^^This.

There's no way I can improve on this commentary and it's exactly what I wanted to say and how I feel about the situation.

Well done and well said.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
KellyAnne used the wrong words to say what she meant unfortunately - and can/should be called out for that (and the fact that she was obviously ill-advised to go on that kind of a program at all - they need to stop doing that because even if everything they say on there is 100% true and supported by overwhelming evidence, they will be said to be lying by apparently half the country).

What I think she meant to convey was more along the lines of our information is quite different so we dispute these claims/allegations. That is IF she discussed it at all - which frankly I don't think she should have .. they pulled a Sarah Palin-like ambush on her and smart as she is, she didn't see it coming in time so she could react the proper way (which was probably to just walk the heck out of there).

This is such a stupid topic anyway. Who the heck cares how many people were there? It was a big set up - and yes, the media is VERY culpable in that - but I am sad to say that Trump and his team are still falling for it. They need to do better in that regard. But, have at it, kiddies ... I say if you 'feel' better when you poke sticks and self-defeat by worrying tiny details that are really of no significance in the long run, whether you are right or not about something that just does not matter one hoot, then Trump is doing you a favour by giving you yet another platform to strut your stuff on. Nice of him I would say. He DOES care about you. How can you possibly deny that?
So the woman that is speaking for the birther-in-chief is as equally bad at conversational English as he is? That's marvelous. As for making a big deal about this, you do not have to look much further than Donald Dump's tweets on a regular basis to ascertain who the overgrown tantrum throwing nit-picking toddler is here.

And btw...an intelligent person does not feel "ambushed" when asked which books or publications they read. Most are all too willing to divulge and share that kind of information.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Gaslighting -- "persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying in an attempt to destabilize and delegitimize a target. Its intent is to sow seeds of doubt in the targets, hoping to make them question their own memory, perception, and sanity."

The term comes from the play and movie - Gas Light. "In the story, a husband attempts to convince his wife and others that she is insane by manipulating small elements of their environment and insisting that she is mistaken, remembering things incorrectly, or delusional when she points out these changes."

The title stems from the dimming of the gas lights in the house that happened when the husband was using the gas lights in the attic while searching for hidden treasure. The wife accurately notices the dimming lights and discusses the phenomenon, but the husband insists she just imagined a change in the level of illumination."

Bullies and narcissists frequently use gaslighting tactics to "transgress social mores, break laws, and exploit others."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times
And the bozo brigade will rush to defend KAC and the Orange Buffoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies