Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,709,594 times

Advertisements

Well that's your own fault sweetie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I was at the DC women's march this weekend. Yes, there was some violence, just no arrests.

I personally witnessed and stepped in to intervened in a situation at the march. A 12 or 13 year old girl was wearing a Trump hat and walking down the sidewalk with her friend/sister. Two "p*ssy" hat women and a gay man started harassing and yelling her, "take that hat off! how could you where that! etc" . Then the gay man smacked the hat off her head and lightly slapped her in the face for "not knowing better!" Several people came up to the girl and pushed those people away from the girl, including myself, and I pushed the gay guy away and I got in his face and told him to f off, basically.

I can't believe that people would attack a kid for literally wearing a hat...grown ups. A man...gay or not...hitting a woman...at the Woman's March. And women are cheering him slapping a 12 year old girl... do people not see the irony? Man, that pissed me off so much...

While most people were cool, some people were complete a-holes to people who were lingering Trump supporters...The right to protest is completely different from harassing others.

Besides that, Idk. Me and my gf were both just wondering what 80% of the people were freaking out about. Lots of people just started chanting things for no reason...like "THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!" or "BLACK LIVES MATTER!" It was almost like sheep. Me and my gf joked that we could start a chant by randomly yelling "CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP!" and they'd probably chant along.

But there were some cool, civil people there.
It's how that side is. One of the first replies on this thread told me my opinion didn't count. According to these whackos the only opinion allowed to be expressed is theirs. It's sick.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You don't speak for what it did for others nor do you have any standing in telling others how they should be spending their time and/or money.
Good point. If they want to increase corporate profits instead of actually doing something to help women and children, that's their choice.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Congratulations on an outstanding demonstration of Godwin's Law. Comparing the women who went downtown to gather in the name of decency, fairness, and compassion to those who supported Hitler? I'm astonished. Just astonished.
You mean what YOU attribute as the reason(s) for the gathering. The ACTUAL reasons put forth are/were about as clear as mud.
As for compassion? Would that be compassion for the unborn or, for the people the protesters were swearing at? How about those vulgarities on their signs or were hurling at others were they compassionate? I'd love to hear how blowing things up or killing people is "compassionate".
Was it in "fairness" that the Pro Life women's group was excluded?

Just wondering what is considered "compassionate" and "fair" nowadays?

This is what happens when you have a hodge-podge of opinions all chattering at once...

Old 01-23-2017, 10:06 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Ya'll are so focused on Madonna so you can ignore the fact that millions of people came out yesterday to protest Trump's agenda.

Must suck to have your first day on the job start with MILLIONS more than attended your inauguration.

So I can see why you would want to spin that.

Need a safe space?
But what did it change?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Tell that to Martin Luther King. Tell that to the Suffragettes. Tell that to those who protested at the cotton mills, factories and railroads for better working conditions. Tell that to those who protested the Vietnam War. Marches help focus on problems and spur a wave of activism.
Marches with a specific goal have can have an effect. Marches with a hundred complaints all screaming at once just look like plain old bit#hing.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
No I don't . Millions of people together in a group can be wrong. Just like Hitlers followers were wrong. It's happened before over and over again in history and likely will again because people are stupid enough to believe what movie stars tell them. Its how dangerous cults get started. Reading through this thread I find it scary to hear from those that actually want someone to tell them how to think. No, if you believe whats happening is right you need a different reason then saying its right just because a lot of people say so.
Godwin.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So many conservatives SO condescending to those of us who did march. It's ok. We made a point without you. One of the "I am not oppressed so I don't need to march" bullet points is "I CAN VOTE." Well, well - how did THAT come about? It's a good thing that suffragettes didn't cower to criticism. In fact, many of the bullet points speak to issues that women have taken to the streets for. They didn't rain out of the sky. And whenever you are ready to do something to help those women in Pakistan or Mali or Guatemala of which you speak - let me know, because I'm totally in. In the meantime, I'm gonna do what I do to try to lift up women in my own country. Haven't you been shouting "America First"? And should we be successful in holding on to rights we have or even gain more, we'll be happy to share with all of you.
Don't compare yourselves to the suffragettes. If you can't see the difference you've proven my point.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Isn't it the right that always says that we need to address issues at home?
Isn't that why y'all voted for Trump - to keep America for Americans?

Again with the rampant hypocrisy and the "do as I say, not as I do."

This post is a perfect example of the disconnect from so many on this issue.
On the one hand, the marchers are/were supposed to be protesting abuse suffered by women in other parts of the world, and on the other it scoffs at those who do "talk about helping/supporting instead of looking at the big picture," whatever that's supposed to mean.

Now, I understand, based on many, many posts from those far right of center, that there are many people incapable of thinking about or addressing more than one issue at a time so I get why it is do difficult for so many to understand that marching to protect rights in this country does not mean that those same people do not care about other issues.

I also understand, based on those same posts, that there are many people who couldn't care less about how people are treated in other countries unless/until that abuse can be used to bludgeon those who actively go out and stand up for the least of these in this country.

Let's see some of that "compassion" shown for the poor living in tin houses in Mississippi and on the reservations in South Dakota, Arizona and New Mexico.
Can you?
We have been killing people all over the world the last 15 years. I've missed the protests over that the last 8.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
But what did it change?
Nothing. Yet.

It did put Trump on notice. We are watching. We can mobilize.

Was it wrong to march against Vietnam?

Was it wrong to march against the Iraq War?

Against Jim Crow?

What changed on the day of those marches?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies