Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 10:49 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They were disinvited by the organizer because they were pro-life. But I guess if it goes against the meme (lie) of "compassion and fairness" y'all are trying to push...

Pro-life group dropped from list of partners for inauguration protest march | Fox News

Sad, just sad...
It makes sense, though. "Pro-life" is a euphemism for "anti-legal-abortion" just as "pro-choice" stands for the legal availability of abortion, so it would kind of be at odds with the main march focus of respecting rights for women. Perhaps they didn't want to start a squabble within their own march. The focus of the pro-life movement is not women.

This is not to say the pro-life movement should be silenced, of course. It just didn't fit there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 10:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It makes sense, though. "Pro-life" is a euphemism for "anti-legal-abortion" just as "pro-choice" stands for the legal availability of abortion, so it would kind of be at odds with the main march focus of respecting rights for women. Perhaps they didn't want to start a squabble within their own march. The focus of the pro-life movement is not women.
Hmmm, when was abortion the sole issue for women or even the most important one?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Hmmm, when was abortion the sole issue for women or even the most important one?
It wasn't. Well, maybe in 1973 it was. I don't understand why you responded to my post with this.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

This is not to say the pro-life movement should be silenced, of course. It just didn't fit there.
Wow, congrats on being able to spin so fast without getting dizzy!

Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Nobody knows for sure as there was sooooo much being tossed into the pot...

Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
I knew you'd be too afraid to answer that.

How many laws did Bill Clinton pass making so there was no recourse for sexual harassment? Why didn't he run out and push such laws? If you believe Trump is going to pass misogynistic laws because he was talking dirty about a groupie, why doesn't that apply to Bill who was essentially a sexual predator who paid nearly a million dollars because he perved out when he sexually harassed a state employee?

I guess it's the same logic you use to believe lyrics don't impact young men who idolize those who sing those lyrics.

Have you always been at war with logic?
I don't think Trump is going to pass misogynistic laws.

I think Trump has a problem with understanding women's issues. I think this because of remarks he's made, like saying that if his daughter was sexually harassed in the workplace, she should seek another job. He didn't say that the owner and management of the workplace have any responsibility. He said she should quit. He put the burden of working in a workplace free of sexual harassment on the woman. That's a mind-set that he has. Combined with his remarks about several women during the campaign, it suggests that he lacks empathy and a basic understanding of why laws against sexual harassment, sexual discrimination, and sexual assault were passed to begin with.

The Paula Jones lawsuit was ridiculous, and Clinton paid out just to make it go away.

My nephews who listen to rap music do know that misogynistic lyrics are offensive and wrong. And they are smart enough to know that those lyrics don't represent government positions. They are smart enough to understand concepts like freedom of speech and how that relates to music and art. They are smart enough to understand that protest is also a form of freedom of speech, and in the case of the women's march, is directed at the current administration. I applaud the marchers, clearly they've made an impact on you, else you wouldn't be so busy trying to deflect.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wow, congrats on being able to spin so fast without getting dizzy!
Huh?

It was a logical response, not "spin". Why on earth would you say that? Why do you think I would want to "spin"?

I personally would not have cared if they let them march or not.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
So, just join the biggest group of people and you are automatically in the right?

So why all the talk about changing the problems for women in other places in the world? Sharia law for example. I think its horrible and degrading to women. In other parts of the world it is the majority of people that want it and follow it. They believe in it. By your way of thinking it makes them right. Why then should anyone think about helping women held under its thumb in of foreign country? You would be going against the majority there. Or the mutilation of girls in other parts of the world. How long has that been going on and been practiced by how many? Perfect example of how a lot of people together can be wrong.

Thinking about these things makes me want to ask this. I know its horrible what people suffer sometimes, but if it is places in the world where the US has no authority and people choose their way of life over what we think is right, can we really go in a do anything? Is is to wrong to think they might reject the democracy we believe to be right?

I think my first choice for those I'd want to help is North Korea. The entire population are slaves to one lunatic and they are totally cut off from the rest of the world. If anything could really be done I would want to give these poor people priority, but wouldn't it take a war where so many of ours would be killed? Is it worth that? Is it better to just help our own people here?
What does the "biggest group of people" have to do with it?

Your argument is nonsensical, since the majority of Americans didn't protest this weekend. The biggest group of people sat home.

But more than a million felt the need to exercise their freedom of speech, to let the new administration know that they disagree with President Trump and some of the positions he's taken, and to let his administration and the legislature know that they, the protesters, are engaged and aware. These people are voters, they are citizens, and they were speaking out. YOU get to speak out as well, but criticizing them for speaking out about what their issues were, rather than the issues you would like them to speak out about is, well, silly. You don't get to tell other people what their issues are. I guess that part of "thinking for themselves" went over your head.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I would bet you any amount of money that three times as many people under 30 could name who Beyoncé's husband is while not knowing who Trump's running mate was.

You must be really out of touch.
You must really like Trump to spend so much time deflecting and moving the goal posts for him.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:01 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think Trump is going to pass misogynistic laws.

I think Trump has a problem with understanding women's issues. I think this because of remarks he's made, like saying that if his daughter was sexually harassed in the workplace, she should seek another job. He didn't say that the owner and management of the workplace have any responsibility. He said she should quit. He put the burden of working in a workplace free of sexual harassment on the woman. That's a mind-set that he has. Combined with his remarks about several women during the campaign, it suggests that he lacks empathy and a basic understanding of why laws against sexual harassment, sexual discrimination, and sexual assault were passed to begin with.

The Paula Jones lawsuit was ridiculous, and Clinton paid out just to make it go away.

My nephews who listen to rap music do know that misogynistic lyrics are offensive and wrong. And they are smart enough to know that those lyrics don't represent government positions. They are smart enough to understand concepts like freedom of speech and how that relates to music and art. They are smart enough to understand that protest is also a form of freedom of speech, and in the case of the women's march, is directed at the current administration. I applaud the marchers, clearly they've made an impact on you, else you wouldn't be so busy trying to deflect.
Wait, wait, wait, her lawsuit was ridiculous?

Let's see here, the governor asks a state employee to come up to his hotel room and then exposes himself to her, and that isn't sexual harassment?

If you had been at that rally and stated that an employer who exposes himself to an employee isn't committing sexual harassment, I think they would have beat you to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies