Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:36 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,823,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Lack of investment is not the problem right now: stock valuations are nearing historic highs and bond yields are near historic lows. There's tons of investment capital desperately seeking yield. All of that vast wealth (gained by replacing well-paid American workers with robots and slave laborers) is just sitting there.

Since consumer spending is in the toilet (thanks to aforementioned replacement of American workers with robots and foreign wage slaves), there's no way for all of that vast capital to turn a profit. No consumer spending = no ROI.
+1

There you go. Right on the money.

In addition I might add, because there's a ton of investment capital sitting around. Investors start to speculate and cause bubbles to rapidy form and blow up screwing up the entire economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 12:51 AM

33,455 posts, read 12,732,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Stop being selfish and place your country first.
Pot meet kettle. Stop being selfish and put the ideals your country was founded upon* first .

(* = what Pedro was driving at)

Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,302,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Whether you realize it or not, you fall in one of the two camps. You are either a Patriot that puts America first or you are a Traitor that wants America to lose its sovereignty.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.58593d7225e9
Horse puckey.

99.99% of people fall into the camp of no s**ts are given as long as "I'm able to do what I need to do to live the life I want to lead."

That makes the vast majority agnostic of globalism or nationalism.

Further nationalism != patriotism. A patriot wants their country to be the best it can be, a nationalist thinks their country is the best. That leads to strikingly different behaviors. A patriot may support globalism because it's working towards the country being the best it can be, but a nationalist probably would not.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 AM

11,124 posts, read 5,634,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
sorry mate your argument is fallacious , with us or against us, love it or leave it...

blah blah blah..

we need quality control , forums go to hell when this is the standard.
My first thought when I read the OP, was that the Moderator would dump the thread immediately.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:14 AM

800 posts, read 510,737 times
Nationalist. With a gradual return to imperialism. To simply exist is not enough. True greatness requires expansion.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:27 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,367,153 times
I'm not entirely sure on this one.. I like the idea of globalism but right now it's been hijacked by the world's billionaires and they have their own ideas of what it should be like. I don't really have enough information to make an informed decision. Besides, having different countries allows people with different ways of wanting to live to perhaps choose one that fits them the best. Here people are talking about a one world government yet other people want to split up the US into their own countries because Trump ended TPP. Kind of funny.

Would we be able to keep people honest with only one government? It would be like one corporation having a monopoly on a product.. it can work, or it can blow up in your face. I'm not saying "Ma Bell" or "de beers" were necessarily evil, but they took advantage of their monopoly to peddle their products at a premium.

The bigger government is, the more it turns into a nanny state and takes away freedoms. As a social libertarian of sorts, I want my guns and pot.. though I don't necessarily have a problem with single payer healthcare.. but getting all world leaders to agree on laws, and deciding who gets power and where... I'm sure we're headed that way... it's a law of nature that the weak get absorbed and things consolidate until they reach one massive, powerful entity, which self destructs at some point and the process starts anew... it's just a much slower process when taken to a global scale. There are some laws of nature that are simply irrefutable, much like how everything in the universe has a vibration, and everything goes in cycles..

Last edited by sholomar; 01-24-2017 at 01:36 AM..

Old 01-24-2017, 02:30 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,593,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Whether you realize it or not, you fall in one of the two camps. You are either a Patriot that puts America first or you are a Traitor that wants America to lose its sovereignty.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.58593d7225e9
Ummmm..... So there is no alternative between One World Government and nationalism?

I myself am an Patriot. I'm in favor of the nation state. I think the more power is centralized, the more unaccountable power is.

So I guess I'm a Localist.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:23 AM

6,625 posts, read 5,040,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Allow someone to be rich?

Nothing says freedom like restricting how much money a person can make.
What do you think tariffs do?

Old 01-24-2017, 03:51 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,410,782 times
Borders.
Language.
Culture.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:14 AM

46 posts, read 39,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
A true "free market" doesn't work. Take a course in the philosophy of economics and you will see why.
Since "free markets" have never, in the history of humankind, existed anywhere, ever, "analysis" of them remains futile. History (at least the last hundred or so years of it), has shown conclusively that the "philosophy of economics" has been less useful than astrology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies