Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:25 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
It works great for ISIS recruiting, turning it into a very clear religious war instead of terrorists vs the US. As such, people I care about in the military are endangered.

Additionally it makes us less safe.
Not one page in and this argument, maybe our countries affairs should be reviewed by the world court to insure some member is not offended. WHO CARES WHAT ISIS THINKS! They are a bunch of thugs that most seem unwilling or incapable of stopping and they are one of the last groups I am going to worry about offending....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 12:35 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
With 9/11 and the 50,000 injured or killed in Iraq and Afghanistan along with the billions spent over there. America has done more than enough with all this.
Wait - what? You want the world to feel sorry for the US over Iraq and Afghanistan?

Old 01-31-2017, 12:40 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Two Syrian families did arrive in the nearby town last week before the ban went into affect. Both were two parent families, one with 2 kids, the other with 3.
...If these folks don't want to become Americans, why are they coming here?
Why, indeed?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:03 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Wait - what? You want the world to feel sorry for the US over Iraq and Afghanistan?
I was referring to the soldiers who made the sacrifices. And I don't want anyone to feel sorry for us.

We have done enough. We saved the world in WWII. We took the lead role, rightly or wrongly in trying to stop Communism and the old soviet union and took the lead in the war on terror.

I say enough is enough. Pull back the American troops that are still protecting Germany, Japan, S. Korea and sorts of other places. Let the world deal with their problems. Not us.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
It works great for ISIS recruiting, turning it into a very clear religious war instead of terrorists vs the US. As such, people I care about in the military are endangered.

Additionally it makes us less safe.
It does?
We already shoot them, kill them, drone them, fire missiles at them, snipe them, etc.

Now you are telling us that saying we don't want them here is suddenly going to tick them off?
Do you think that they might already know that?
You think that's a big surprise?

Really? Are you serious?

Old 02-01-2017, 02:22 PM

31,051 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
It does?
We already shoot them, kill them, drone them, fire missiles at them, snipe them, etc.

Now you are telling us that saying we don't want them here is suddenly going to tick them off?
Do you think that they might already know that?
You think that's a big surprise?

Really? Are you serious?
Yes, we should make sure we don't upset Islamist Sympasizors or their Apologist friends

Old 02-02-2017, 05:22 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Why, indeed?
So you're OK with them coming here and trying to recreate a Syrian culture in their new communities? How could that possibly be a good thing for the US?

Old 02-02-2017, 05:31 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why do you think that we would be better off if immigrants abandoned their culture? All refugees learn English, usually quite quickly. My grandson goes to preschool with several middle eastern children of refugees, they are very nice people, some of the parents struggle with English but they all try hard and they are learning. And I believe that you may be mistaken about refugees not getting jobs.

During the 2009 to 2011 period, all refugees in the United States were more likely to be employed than the overall population, according to a 2015 study by the Migration Policy Institute. Two-thirds of all refugee men were employed compared to only 60 percent for all U.S. men. Refugee women had the same employment rates as all U.S. women. https://www.cato.org/blog/why-refuge...ter-us-germany
First I did not say they wouldn't get jobs. I said most cannot support themselves 5 years after arrival without one or more entitlements. Limited English skills and more importantly limited education relegate many to the bottom rung of the economic ladder in perpetuity.

Middle Eastern and African Muslim cultures treat women as property and do not give women many rights. Being LGBT in those cultures can be a death sentence. A woman being raped in those cultures can be a death sentence. Being a daughter that dishonors Mom and Dad by kissing a boy can be a death sentence. Those cultures are as violent as they are backwards. Of course I want them to abandon their cultures if they come here.

And yes some will do well on account of their hard work, skills, and intelligence, and yes wealthy ones that come here are often already Westernized to some degree. I am talking the average refugee, not the exceptions.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
When people ask stupid questions...why do you engage?

Old 02-02-2017, 05:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Except according to people who've tried to get these interpreters here have had problems doing so for YEARS. Evidently the program has been broken for some time now.
But I guess that's just an inconvenient truth right now...

An article from 2008 and 2015 evidently the special visa program still doesn't work as it should and it is hard as hell to actually get them here. NOT Trump's fault, sorry...

]

Actually....I'm well aware of that and have been unhappy about how these people have been treated for years. YEARS. Foreign interpreters have had to jump through hoops to come to this country since Vietnam. Probably earlier. They have been stuck in hostile countries and put in refugee camps because of U.S. policy LONG before Donald Trump came along.

Why do you think no one paid any attention to these things before Trump came along?

Trump will make their lives harder. He will make it more difficult for them to gain entry to the U.S. And the reason he will do that is he is a bigot with a deep prejudice against Muslims.... which he cloaks in his black veil of patriotism. Make NO mistake about that.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-02-2017 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies