Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:11 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Well then please stay away. I don't want my kids sharing their school with someone who comes in all ready to hate a different idea.
I thought you have no kids as your DINKS thread in retirement forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 06:22 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Some of these left wing schools charge $65,000 or more per year to get information from left wing biased radicals with a left agenda.

Who wants to pay for that or being left for years with a study loan debt to get brainwashed.

Now additional the kids safety is in danger as we all could see how safe Berkeley and NYU are.
I wouldn't judge a school based upon the protesters, the kids in real majors are busy studying.

Why do I care if the foo-foo future barista majors are protesting at a school where my kid is getting a solid skill degree?

Frankly, it doesn't seem like you know how these campuses work.

Now sure, if you'd mentioned some of the schools where the only major is "environmental" etc. then sure but you didn't.

Please never assume any campus is homogenous in views, skills or education because wow....it tells me you never set foot on one other than to maybe tailgate.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:27 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Some of these left wing schools charge $65,000 or more per year to get information from left wing biased radicals with a left agenda.

Who wants to pay for that or being left for years with a study loan debt to get brainwashed.

Now additional the kids safety is in danger as we all could see how safe Berkeley and NYU are.

LOL, guess what ,it's not up to you or the parents!One of the things you will learn if you ever attend a real college is they deal with the students and you are told that from day one.The student for example gets sent the grades not the parent,if the kids are over 18 then they are the adults and the school will deal with them and them only regardless of who is paying .So pretty mush this thread is a wash.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:29 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
..and around the last year so the term "alt-right" came to define anyone who disagreed with the left about anything.
They got tired of using the word "racist"....

Old 02-04-2017, 06:36 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

No , you just use it when it's true.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Indeed. The rise of anti-intellectualism persists, but maybe that's okay. Leaves more opportunity for those who value education.
It's not anti-intellectualism.

It's anti-professor injecting his or her personal belief system/political leanings/worldview in to the subject matter being taught.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:48 PM

381 posts, read 177,385 times
I think it helps to have a good idea of what your beliefs and values are before you attend college, but at the same time be open to listening to opposing point of views. I was surrounded by left-leaning students and professors both in undergrad and in law school, and I actually started accepting more conservative views in my second year of undergrad. I'm happy I did. I took a few political science classes and I freely expressed my opinion without much pushback. As for my law school years...law is just a very liberal field, with some articles even claiming that professors and lawyers are more liberal than the general population.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:55 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,990 times
Quote:
For someone who names himself or herself 'Informed Info,' I must say you are not well informed. Alt right was coined by the white supremacist Richard Spencer. It is purely marking. That is marketing the movement using more palatable words. It has been picked up by the mainstream now. It is not an association one should be proud.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:58 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
It's not anti-intellectualism.

It's anti-professor injecting his or her personal belief system/political leanings/worldview in to the subject matter being taught.
You're both right depending upon the context.

In most of the *real* classes the professors actually teaches to the topic.

If someone wants to pay 65k/year for their kid to got to UC B to take a fluff major then great. Same goes for some schools where you just have lots of partiers.

We had them on my campus too 25+ years ago.

The rest of us....studied.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard today. College students go there to be taught critical thinking skills.
Exactly.

To be TAUGHT.

Not pushed one way or another based on the professor's/teacher's political belief system/worldview.

Not to be laughed at or have their belief system belittled by someone being paid to TEACH, not PREACH.

Then there are instances such as the following:

Quote:
Susan J Douglas is a professor of communications at the University of Michigan. And she wants you to know that she hates Republicans. She confessed this in an article written for In These Times.

“I hate Republicans. I can’t stand the thought of having to spend the next two years watching Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Ted Cruz, Darrell Issa or any of the legions of other blowhards denying climate change, thwarting immigration reform or championing fetal “personhood.””
Quote:
“This is blatant intolerance, and the University should take action on the behalf of intellectual diversity and all of the students who are intimidated into silence. In the position of an instructor, she can intimidate and inhibit the student’s freedom of expression.”

The University released a statement reinforcing that Susan Douglas’ words were her own and she was free to express them. But, students with opposing viewpoints also have the right to express themselves.

How would you feel sitting in a classroom with a professor who wrote that she hates people who hold your viewpoints?
Conservative Students Beware! Michigan Professor Admits to Hating Republicans - The Political Insider

Quote:
There’s the econ professor who cracks jokes about Republicans during lectures, Ben says, not to mention the orientation event during which the speaker understandably talked passionately about the importance of Black Lives Matter, but glossed over the social movement’s assertion that Israel is an apartheid state that engages in genocide—a particularly thorny issue at a school where the undergraduate population is, according to Hillel, 47 percent Jewish.
Quote:
At many of New England’s most prestigious colleges, political conservatism has been reduced to stereotypes, conflated with the alt-right and branded as being so wrongheaded that it’s not even worth considering, let alone hiring professors who embrace right-leaning ideas. Long known as bastions of progressive thought, and home to the likes of Noam Chomsky and the late Howard Zinn, our region’s schools have always been suspected of putting the “liberal” in liberal arts college. Until recently, though, no one had quantified just how far left higher ed here had drifted.
Quote:
When the student and teacher activists of the 1960s marched across many of these same leafy campuses, they were often fighting for freedom of expression. After all, isn’t that what being a social progressive is all about? Today’s movements, on the other hand, are widely aimed at preventing the established power structure from harming less-privileged groups. Consequently, student activists have banded together—sometimes alongside faculty—in support of safe spaces, protective speech, and trigger warnings. It is the best way, the thinking goes, to align with and support all identity groups. To some people on the receiving end, however, progressive rhetoric can sound shrill and an awful lot like suppression of speech and intolerant political correctness. The result? Many conservatives on New England’s campuses are feeling more marginalized and alienated than ever before.
How Liberal Professors Are Ruining College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies