Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 03:06 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times

Advertisements

College tuition is ludicrous these days. Not everyone can be a doctor or engineer but to be paying 40K plus a year for no guarantee of a good job afterwards? Freaking EXTORTION.

But thats the liberal way. Go in debt up to your eyeballs and spend like drunken sailors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 03:10 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
College tuition is ludicrous these days. Not everyone can be a doctor or engineer but to be paying 40K plus a year for no guarantee of a good job afterwards? Freaking EXTORTION.

But thats the liberal way. Go in debt up to your eyeballs and spend like drunken sailors
No one is forced to go to college. It is an investment the way business is an investment. The person going to college is the business. Success is not guaranteed the way success in business is not guaranteed. If a person can be successful without going to college, great. But if they choose not to go to college and I'm forced to support them, that's when it becomes a problem. If conservatives only want to go to conservative colleges, that's great as long as they can pay for it and get hired based on the education they get. They have be their own customers.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:11 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Any change has to come from conservatives. Liberals will just keep going to college, getting jobs and living and making blue states more successful.
So you think it's a good idea to refuse to expose college kids to anything other than liberal ideology? Do you seriously think that develops critical thinking skills?

Do you think it's a good idea to have safe spaces and cancel classes for "traumatic events" like the election of
a president they don't like? Do you think that's preparing them for the workforce and adult life?

Do you think it's a good idea to leave college being tens of thousands of dollars in debt?

Old 02-04-2017, 03:16 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No one is forced to go to college. It is an investment the way business is an investment. The person going to college is the business. Success is not guaranteed the way success in business is not guaranteed. If a person can be successful without going to college, great. But if they choose not to go to college and I'm forced to support them, that's when it becomes a problem. If conservatives only want to go to conservative colleges, that's great as long as they can pay for it and get hired based on the education they get. They have be their own customers.

No one is "forced" but the College degree is essentially the new high school diploma so its almost essential one gets it. Unless they manage a good career in trades but even that, that wreaks havoc on the body's joints sooner or later. So up goes the medical bills after a career of that.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:20 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
So you think it's a good idea to refuse to expose college kids to anything other than liberal ideology? Do you seriously think that develops critical thinking skills?

Do you think it's a good idea to have safe spaces and cancel classes for "traumatic events" like the election of
a president they don't like? Do you think that's preparing them for the workforce and adult life?

Do you think it's a good idea to leave college being tens of thousands of dollars in debt?
I think college funds should be more available and if a basic college level were federally funded, I would have no issue with that but I also think a basic level of medical care should be federally funded. I paid for my own college, no government funds, but I think an educated populace means fewer people on public assistance so it pays off. I also think non-violent felons should be able to work to clear their record so we aren't supporting them either.

As for the whole "safe spaces" rhetoric, it's just political banter IMO and colleges have a market and a customer base. If the customer has issues with the college, there are other colleges. Or not. They can choose not to go to college and live with results - as long as I'm not paying for it.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:29 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Some of these left wing schools charge $65,000 or more per year to get information from left wing biased radicals with a left agenda.

Who wants to pay for that or being left for years with a study loan debt to get brainwashed.

Now additional the kids safety is in danger as we all could see how safe Berkeley and NYU are.
So what is your answer? Outlaw liberal viewpoints? Silence voices on the left, but not on the right? Teach only certain political doctrines? How would you go about that? Enforce it through federal laws? Only allow a government approved syllabus? Sounds very, ...................... totalitarian. See, that's the problem with a free country, not everyone will agree on all issues. The schools you're alluding to are Ivy League schools, in case you didn't notice, they are an amalgam of globalization, a fair percentage of their student body are foreign nationals and these schools have a global presence and global reputation that is threatened by Trump's policies. But, FYI, they are taught and they study the full range of political ideologies, it's up to the student as a young adult to digest what they learn and form their own political philosophy. Nobody is being brainwashed.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:33 PM

426 posts, read 424,129 times
Quote:
Some of these left wing schools charge $65,000 or more per year to get information from left wing biased radicals with a left agenda.

Who wants to pay for that or being left for years with a study loan debt to get brainwashed.

Now additional the kids safety is in danger as we all could see how safe Berkeley and NYU are.
Are you afraid that your kids will see the light and come home liberal? If you trust you kids, let them decide for themselves what's right or wrong.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:43 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:

I prefer an educated class of people that are 'teached' over an under or un-educated populace that is easily manipulated by a narcissist. If your sentence structure and inability to clearly make your point is any indication of your schooling then I assume you were not educated at a higher learning institution. Hence, I am not sure you have inside information that can be trusted.

OTOH, I am glad to see you are also concerned with the crushing debt many students are left with in order to get an education. We certainly do not want to live in a society where only the wealthy can go to college. Good day.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:51 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
I just saw a segment on an AM news show about this, Georgia Tech , good school and about $25K for an out of state student and much less given the average amount of financiai aid offered to students.

Quote:
Since the broad brushes are out I guess the conservative way is to whine about it and then maybe try and learn some facts.

BTW, by your )logic? , Ronald Reagan was a liberal given his spending like a drunken sailor.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:54 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
It's not a new fad. Instructors routinely push their own agendas.
Back in 1970s, I attended a State University and the English prof was adamant that we become existentialists or flunk out. One of my friends wrote a stunning essay that blew away existentialism and the prof went ballistic.
Of course it was the student who got bounced, not the prof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies