Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 02:36 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
That's a common theme for anyone who is stubborn. Stubborn people know things their way, so admitting that a new or different way is better/faster means admitting that they were previously doing things inefficiently for [insert period of time]. Or, in some cases, admitting they were wrong. Stubborn people hate admitting that they were wrong.

Look at the sentiments about common core math.

But nah. Boomers didn't "seize" all of the nation's wealth, leaving detriment to millennials. What DID happen is something that has been ever-so-common in American history: Wealthy people put profits above safety/people and screwed up a lot of things that the government created regulations against.

Your average house in the 50's would likely not meet the requirements for traditional financing in today's world. Trying to find a structurally sound starter house in a decent neighborhood is just harder and harder to find. And for many families, their net wealth comes from their real estate.
What? I live in a city that was founded in 1950, and every house in the city limits was built in either 1950-1951. They all still stand today, and would be considered starter homes. What they aren't is "flashy" and most millennials don't want anything to do with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 02:37 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This doesn't describe the boomers I know.

Also, my dad and others worked their butts off in factories to earn what he had which isn't what you are describing.

I have yet to live in a nice neighborhood. We also don't own a home at all at this point. Education used to be what you could afford and most weren't going to 4, 6 or 8 years of college. On healthcare, we didn't constantly run to the doctor or for tests and considered preventative health care to be exercise and diet!

We need to get jobs back into the country so that the whiners will realize what it is really like to earn a living and stop thinking they should have what everyone has that worked their butts off "just because".
Slackers of my generation still contributed to the household in some way. Too many now just don't. NONE of the 20-30something living at home that I know (in working/middle class neighborhood) do anything of any substance. They are waiting for parents to die so they get the house but I'm not sure how they will keep it. Maybe the parents will need to go to a nursing home and sell the house to pay for it but I have heard some kids are telling the parents to sign the houses over to them now.

They let their adult kids live with them and add grandkids and unemployed baby daddy. Oh look she is pregnant again. There is poor quality of life for everyone. Middle aged mom is struggling with elderly parents, loser adult kids and toddlers in the house, work, and her own declining health. Dad is obese, checked out because of the chaos and sense of failure, hangs out in the garage hoping for a quick heart attack.

One of these mothers actually wants her unemployed son to impregnate a girl so she can be a grandma. Something is up with this. They don't want to admit their adult kids are complete failures and want to make it seem like everything is normal, and will go to their graves doing it. Even if they have some money and a paid off house, this is not a win.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:38 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Well, I do think it was easier to bring a house up to code 30 years ago. Rewiring, new plumbing, new roof, whatever, was usually one permit, one inspector and so on. Now days, it takes an army, too many regulations. Heaven forbid you find a speck or mold or a foot of asbestos tape.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:42 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
NONE of the 20-30something living at home that I know (in working/middle class neighborhood) do anything of any substance.
That says more to me about your socio-economic class than it does generational trends.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:44 PM

45,422 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Yep, we seized all the money and we used up all of the fun, too. Too bad for you.
And, from what I've read lately, also had more and better sex. With another person/people.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:44 PM

778 posts, read 339,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Who'd the Baby Boomers "seize" it from?
The Obama Stash!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ojd13kZlCA

Old 05-31-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
what claim? i just pointed you to an article, which you didn't read.

are you really this lazy, or is this a matter of willful ignorance?

i think the boomers don't want to know anything about their generation's profligacy. Y'all have elected politicians who basically declared war on your own children's generation. Y'all can't handle the truth about the situation so you just either avoid it or pull out the just-world fallacy.
You say this crap every thread. Once, just once, give an example.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:47 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I bet you roofed houses uphill in three feet of snow both ways too. How is any of that nonsense relevant to this discussion?

Boomers had the exceptional luck of being born into an economically powerful United States at a time when global competitors had been knocked on their butts after dealing with almost complete destruction during WWII. Boomers were able to get jobs that paid living wages with only high school educations. Boomers were able to buy real estate when it was cheap and in some cases fund retirements and college funds for their kids with nothing more than the subsequent price appreciation. Many boomers will receive a lifetime of guaranteed money from pensions that they decided no longer needed to exist for future generations. Boomers throw a fit and can't imagine living with one less penny of Social Security or Medicare for themselves while coming up with plans to completely eliminate those same programs for future generations.

As a collective, the Boomers are the most selfish generation ever to exist in the United States. They took advantage of good economic times to enrich themselves personally and now that their time in the sun is waning, they are doing everything in their power to make sure the ladder to the top is pulled up before any younger generations even have a chance to start climbing.
Talk to me when you're 70. When the home you are struggling to pay for now will be considered cheap real estate. When people think back to when you were able to get jobs that paid living wages with only a college education. When you've paid your entire working life into a program that is being threatened to be taken from you.

Then we can talk. Until then, it's just entitled temper tantrums by a selfish generation that has enjoyed the rewards of those good economic times (remember, these are your parents), and have been raised in great wealth compared to the Boomers that lived with one car, a single income, 1 bathroom, shared bedrooms, high unemployment and even higher interest rates when they were just starting out.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You say this crap every thread. Once, just once, give an example.
Either google the article and read it, or don't.

I can't provide you "an example of that article." Your request doesn't make any sense. If you want something, be specific about what you want.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Either google the article and read it, or don't.

I can't provide you "an example of that article." Your request doesn't make any sense.
Why should I, or anyone, do your work for you? You make the claim, you provide the proof. Unless it's bogus.

And even so, it's an opinion piece.

So, still no examples I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies