Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 03:58 PM

1,204 posts, read 873,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Would've been nice to grow up in the 50s. Didn't have to spend 90% of your money on education, health care and housing, like people have to today. An average Joe could afford to live in an area with nice views and good public schools. Now the Boomers own all the nice neighborhoods. Many of them own 2 or 3 houses! "Elites couples" in my generation can't afford 1 housee. We nneed to end this gerontocracy and make room for the next generation.

Hey Donnie----- out of 200 posts to your thread you have made 2(I may have missed one). Do you have anything else you want to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 03:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
I made a thread a couple months ago about how the younger generation is not on track to build any real wealth: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...y-boomers.html

Turns out that exactly what I was trying to express was covered in an article that come out today: The High Cost of a Home Is Turning American Millennials Into the New Serfs - The Daily Beast

We are entering a new feudal system where Millennials are the serfs and Boomers are the lords.

You started a thread and haven't been back there since. Too much heat in the kitchen?

And quoting The Daily Beast? Why are you going out of your way not to be taken seriously?

Old 05-31-2017, 03:59 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
NYRefugee - I worked for a few years after I got back from 'Nam as a machinist and machine builder. I even had decent pay for the time. I became fed up with having some guy with a degree and a superiority complex telling me what to do just because I worked on a concrete floor and he worked at a desk on a carpeted floor. I soon found that although some trades paid very well I wanted nothing to do with them. So I earned a degree in Environmental Science and was fairly well employed for the next forty+ years mostly working on a carpeted floor.

Note: It was great fun going to school amongst all the anti-war protesters and draft dodgers. When they realized I was a combat veteran some just looked frightened and others asked what it was like. I usually answered that it was the wrong war for the wrong reason in the wrong place and you do not want to know what it was like. It was not worth what it did to your head or getting killed defending some French investor's rubber tree plantation.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
what claim? i just pointed you to an article, which you didn't read.

are you really this lazy, or is this a matter of willful ignorance?

i think the boomers don't want to know anything about their generation's profligacy. Y'all have elected politicians who basically declared war on your own children's generation. Y'all can't handle the truth about the situation so you just either avoid it or pull out the just-world fallacy.
N B P already gave a good response to your refusal to post a link to your article, which, yes, I did find via Google but it was pretty unimpressive.

What "war" did any politician declare on you snowflaky millennials (not to include all millennials, just to the ones who act like flakes, snowflakes)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
The OP is correct, much to the chagrin of the detractors and older people in this thread.
Here is why:

Average babyboomer - usually independent fresh out of high school, no welfare needed, "launches" right away

Walks out of high school STRAIGHT into a living wage or higher career that lasts 10-20 years or more (didn't even need "college degrees" to get good jobs back then), few if any layoffs or worrying about job insecurity due to the strong economy. The stability provided by "being in the right place, at the right time" in 1950-1970 era America and such good wages and steady work allowed the rising boomer to quickly attract a young wife and buy a house while very young. By the way, houses were dirt-cheap as the boomers were coming up, $20k-$60k for a decent house was not unheard of. The ones who got in real early managed to snag $15k houses. As time went by these boomers rode on the "wave" of inflation with ever increasing equity in their houses (sometimes in the 6-figures of free money) and rising wages/regular promotions at work, they were on "the receiving end" of the American economy.

Average millennial circa 2010's - can't afford independence until late 20's/early 30's, needs welfare, uses roommates, lives at home, etc

Walks out of high school and can't find any living wage jobs at all. Has to go to "college", using 5-figure (or more) student loans to do so, to even be considered for entry level jobs. Sometimes 2 or 3 degrees are needed due to the market being oversaturated with college degree holders. When he gets out of college, he struggles to find work and the competition for the few remaining "good" jobs is fierce. He might go a year or two before actually landing a job in his field of study. When he finally does land a decent entry-level job, he is CONSTANTLY worried about the economy and the threat of sudden layoffs. As women are mainly attracted to money and stability in a man, he might go a decade or more before he makes enough to attract a mate. In the meantime, he will be stuck renting and paying off his student debts for years, forget qualifying for a mortgage as his debt-to-income ratio makes him ineligible. And when he finally does get into a position to buy a property? He finds houses are now ASTRONOMICALLY expensive compared to the $20k-$60k his father paid decades ago. As time goes on millennials are drowned by the "wave" of inflation as rents, property values, cost of living, etc are constantly going up, while wages stay flat at work, they are on "the losing end" of the American economy.

Maybe a little over-simplistic, but what I wrote is true in a "general" sense; the boomers had life "on easy mode" compared to millennials, and this is not really up for debate.
Just men, though. Women, as always had to be more educated and work harder to earn what men did. And what Boomer was working in 1950? The oldest were just four years old! Even in 1970, the oldest were 24, and the vast majority were under 18. Few Boomers were even buying houses in 1970.

I'm sorry you can't find a girlfriend. Both of my millennial daughters are taken, by well educated men employed in their field.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:05 PM

1,204 posts, read 873,223 times
Quote:
I made a thread a couple months ago about how the younger generation is not on track to build any real wealth: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...y-boomers.html

Turns out that exactly what I was trying to express was covered in an article that come out today: The High Cost of a Home Is Turning American Millennials Into the New Serfs - The Daily Beast

We are entering a new feudal system where Millennials are the serfs and Boomers are the lords.

Dude you really must have an erection(I;m trying to be nice) about this subject being that this is the third thread on the same subject in 6 months. I should think you have a better understanding by now, as part of discussion is to provide ideas and comments for thought and reflection.

Heres my suggestion

take you hand of your erection and get out of the basement and do something about.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:14 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes exactly.

Blaming all Boomers for massive inequality is just silly.

IMO, all of this "generational warfare" needs to stop. The real war is between the billionaire Class and everyone else. We the 99.9% need to stop fighting amongst ourselves based on race, gender, sexuality, religion, and age. If we don't unite against the billionaire class, America will continue to become like a Third World country.
Sing it, my Freaky friend.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:16 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am the Baby Boomer you complain about. I effectively went to work at my alcoholic step father's amusement park home made amusement park obsession at about 7 years old. I joined the Navy for some cash. After a year on the Mekong River I realized they could not pay me enough to stay there. I returned home to a very depressed upstate NY but was lucky enough to move to a place with good jobs and a family that financed part of a college education. After many diversions we wound up retiring after our condo was paid off (never had enough money for a free standing house) and am having a decent retirement. As I get older the insanity is beginning to return. Thankfully I am getting some help with a very bad temper from some of my 'Nam experiences.

I was not one of the "baby boomers" that were given 10 million bucks to play with and became fabulously wealthy while cheating banks and countless small contractors. When the Western banks gave up on this guy he apparently turned to borrowing form the Russian Mob. We are starting to pay off that debt. That man is the "baby boomer" that ripped off the rest of us.
LOL you lost me at the end... He wasn't around or in charge back when I was in highschool being well attempted to be, indoctrinated that a big expensive school is the answer to solve all of your problems... nor was he present when certain trades were automatically shunned with a nose in the air holier than thou attitude, or under the guise of environmental protection. I would have said protectionism, but that would be throwing the card, I can't complain, Emissions control device failures bringing on severe engine catastrophic failures made me alot of money. So no I wasn't a victim.

Guess I'm the same as he. I didn't take a loan from a bank to buy my house lol I suppose I and the seller cheated the banks out of interest...

I didn't go for a big expensive college with a dorm... 4k per semester was what it came down for tuition tools and books to live in my own house and drive 20 minutes to school unlike a good majority the rest of the lemmings who fell hook line and sinker...

Paid for my tuition in full with cash.
Copied ISBN numbers for books and got them a hell of alot cheaper than what the school demanded... really a college is not for profit charging 65-125 dollars more for the same thing on amazon new in the wrapper?!

Damn straight I wrote essays to get grants. Hey why not? They'll give severely reduced tuition to others based on their income or families income or incentives for minorities so...Why not? What a better way to cash in on that investment than to be getting a check cut upon graduating! Nice right!?
Opportunity presented itself. Why not?

Guess having a student saver account through Key Bank which charged 0 dollars for monthly checking account was horrible too, as was the savings account that accrued .08% more than a standard savings account... albeit a tiny amount more...

Shun me for that, you have better not ever cut any discount coupons or used any discount codes making online purchases...

It's not any of his fault an entire generation under Bush and oblunder can't make it, nor is it theirs, however their policies enacted sure can be when industries are affected by the strong arm of the EPA. Nor is he responsible for dummies buying cars and houses they couldn't pay off tomorrow if need be and depend on that there credit card to get by. Nor is he responsible for a lack of trying on our part, and being dumbed down to believe you can't make it without some big and fancy degree. Says this "millennial"

You can not simply point the finger at bush and say well under him, banks wrote mortgages and cause the collapse... no. Not having a responsible or sensible budget when buying a house and planning accordingly had alot to do with it. Assess the risk. Don't jump into that mortgage unless you could pay a big portion of that off if that loan was ever called. In other words don't write checks your azz can't cash and blame the bank or bush for being dumb on your part...

Maybe the banks will become deregulated again and in 4-8 years I can swoop up houses for pennies on the dollar, sell under market value and make money just like he did based on a bad judgement call and everything being portrayed as unicorns and rainbows on closing day...

It's no different than going to the bar and getting popped for a dwi and blaming the bar tender or the bar, or the brewery/distillery for getting in that vehicle and bouncing it off 4 telephone poles...

Old 05-31-2017, 04:26 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Most jobs are in the cities.

Plus,the suburbs are boring.

Who wants to mow lawns?

Space is not important to us milenials,and that is a good thing iMO.
You must have missed the part that said the problem is the whining not the living in the city choice.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:32 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post

Walks out of high school and can't find any living wage jobs at all. Has to go to "college", using 5-figure (or more) student loans to do so, to even be considered for entry level jobs. Sometimes 2 or 3 degrees are needed due to the market being oversaturated with college degree holders. When he gets out of college, he struggles to find work and the competition for the few remaining "good" jobs is fierce. He might go a year or two before actually landing a job in his field of study. When he finally does land a decent entry-level job, he is CONSTANTLY worried about the economy and the threat of sudden layoffs. As women are mainly attracted to money and stability in a man, he might go a decade or more before he makes enough to attract a mate. In the meantime, he will be stuck renting and paying off his student debts for years, forget qualifying for a mortgage as his debt-to-income ratio makes him ineligible. And when he finally does get into a position to buy a property? He finds houses are now ASTRONOMICALLY expensive compared to the $20k-$60k his father paid decades ago. As time goes on millennials are drowned by the "wave" of inflation as rents, property values, cost of living, etc are constantly going up, while wages stay flat at work, they are on "the losing end" of the American economy.

Maybe a little over-simplistic, but what I wrote is true in a "general" sense; the boomers had life "on easy mode" compared to millennials, and this is not really up for debate.
That's their problem a lot of women are getting hit with the reality now of the 2017 and onward economy. They can either be happy with what a guy is making or stay single and shut it.

Quote:
I'm sorry you can't find a girlfriend. Both of my millennial daughters are taken, by well educated men employed in their field.
Good for them not all men care about being an educated idiot though and get into other fields or start their own business, or excel in sales or real estate. Plus more women go to college than men. More reality hitting women.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:37 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Just men, though. Women, as always had to be more educated and work harder to earn what men did. And what Boomer was working in 1950? The oldest were just four years old! Even in 1970, the oldest were 24, and the vast majority were under 18. Few Boomers were even buying houses in 1970.

Zing! High five! LOL
Guess they found guys like me who didn't play a victim or whine that something was too hard, and gave up quickly to retreat to the comfort of the basement and mom's spaghetti! Good for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies