Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 11:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The mayor of Baltimore, who is a Democrat.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...r-minimum-wage
Oh - he represents all Boomers now? I was not aware.

I'm a boomer and I'm a big proponent of raising the MW. As are most of my boomer friends.

Which is why I wondered about your overly broad and sweeping generalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 11:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
one thing that boomers haven't given their kids that they really need most of all is Love, and the youngsters are very hurt and resentful about it, what with their constant carping and whining and who wouldn't be?

Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
I would love to see the baby boomers start all over and try and make it with todays wages and cost of living. In 1965 what you made had way more purchasing power than it does now, raises at companies were better, and the cost of living in relation to what the median wages were was way better.
the oldest boomers were just entering the job market the mid 60's... you'd be better off using 1970 as a base

the median household yearly income 1970......$7600
the median household yearly income 2016......$56,770
increase about 7.5 fold

median price of a house..1970...$25,700
median price of a house..2016...$291,000
increase about 11 fold

average price of gas....1970........$. 36
average price of gas..2016.........$2.20

average mid size american car..1970........$3000(the mid size chevy nova was 2200)
average mid size american car...2016.....$33,000
increase about 10.1 fold

average price of a movie ticket..1970....$1.55
average price of a movie ticket..2016.....$9-12

the silent generation, boomers, and genx actually worked, liked to work, worked hard.....unlike the snowflake millennial's

Old 06-01-2017, 11:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
one thing that boomers haven't given their kids that they really need most of all is Love, and the youngsters are very hurt and resentful about it, what with their constant carping and whining and who wouldn't be?
Really? And you know this how?

Another overly broad, incorrect, and sweeping generalization which this thread is full of.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
The mayor of Baltimore, who is a Democrat.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...r-minimum-wage

She's trying to float bonds to throw money at affordable housing.

A minimum wage increase is not the right answer because a minimum wage increase does NOTHING to increase the supply of affordable housing, and therefore can only enable slumlords to increase rents further, leading inevitably to renewed pressure to raise the minimum wage.

i,e, at least she is doing something to promote affordable housing,m which is more than most opponents of a minimum wage increase are doing.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Right, wages stagnated, and the cost of living went up.

Minimum wage was $1.60 in 1968 but a loaf of bread was only .22 cents. MW jumped .20 cents in one year, 1967 to 1968, which is the equivalent of it jumping at least $2.00/hr an hour In 2017. Funny how they had no problem with it back then.

1968 minimum wage bought more bread than it does now.

Now the Boomers are against the MW going up at all. Wonder why that is? Selfish much?

Boomers had it easier across the board, they didn't have GPS and Google Maps that was the extent of their struggles.
I'm seventy two, I'm all for raising the MW, many of my contemporaries also support the raise in MW. When someone uses the term "they," the picture becomes blurry. Truth is, there is no "they," my generation is just as divided as we ever were. I've seen these threads degenerate into a mix of moaning on both sides of the age span, boomers recounting their comparatively deprived childhoods, millennials crying the blues over a perceived poverty caused by boomer wealth accumulation.

Having a poor understanding of the American economic dynamic seems to be at the root of all this consternation among those who feel the pain of a life lived on a short budget. Millions of boomers were never gaining ground economically, millions are now old and hurting, and millions more are living on the cusp of financial uncertainty. The OP prefers to look at those who would fit his narrative (AKA cherry picking) of the wealthy boomers gleefully sucking the wealth from their children's future, the fact of this view having no real validity seems to have little effect on those who prefer their own version of social realities.

Many in my generation have raised our children to have unreal expectations, my grandchildren are worse yet in that regard. One of them told me of his disdain for "just being an employee" and went further to expound on the notion of being in your own business by thirty or be considered a failure. He is of the "follow your dream" generation wherein he has been told that work is not just something to sustain oneself--no, work should be something you love. I've predicted a hard collision in his future with the reality that my generation readily accepted, work makes money--money equals freedom, freedom equals choices, choices means accepting the consequences of said choices.. Me thinks the OP is simply following the dream, and expecting the same response he got from his cries in the bassinet...

Old 06-01-2017, 11:40 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,371,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The economy certainly isn't what it used to be and wages have been stagnant while costs have gone up. But this myth that all boomers live high-on-the-hog and have somehow sucked up all the wealth in the economy is just that--a myth. I'm at the tail end of the babyboom and most of the boomers I know are very middle class. They worked, have modest homes, drive modest cars and are worried about retirement.

While we're generalizing, it's people who are 10 years younger than I am who drive $60,000 vehicles and aren't happy til they're in the 2500 sf home with all the bells and whistles. I'm in my third house and still living with my formica counters. Know why? Because I'd rather save for retirement than do a kitchen remodel.

Times are tough, but it's still possible to get ahead if you acquire a marketable skill, work hard, and save money.
EDIT: And don't forget over the next 20 years boomers will be dieing off at the rate of 15-20 thousand a day and all those resources and accumulated wealth will pass down.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Sounds like you're either a child psychiatrist or someone involved in conducting massive research on the matter. Which one is it?

Old 06-01-2017, 12:08 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Now the Boomers are against the MW going up at all. Wonder why that is? Selfish much?
Huh! I'm a baby boomer and I am, and always have been, all for the minimum wage being raised.

I worked for minimum wage at a few jobs when I was young. I don't forget what that was like. MW has not been raised for quite a long time; it's way overdue. $15/hr is about what it SHOULD be, and what it would have been if it had been raised incrementally over the years.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:41 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Sounds like you're either a child psychiatrist or someone involved in conducting massive research on the matter. Which one is it?

actually I'm a marine biologist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies