Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 02:15 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,582,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
The OP is correct, much to the chagrin of the detractors and older people in this thread.
Here is why:

Average babyboomer - usually independent fresh out of high school, no welfare needed, "launches" right away

Average millennial circa 2010's - can't afford independence until late 20's/early 30's, needs welfare, uses roommates, lives at home, etc

Maybe a little over-simplistic, but what I wrote is true in a "general" sense; the boomers had life "on easy mode" compared to millennials, and this is not really up for debate.
Despite the unprecedented global opportunities open for millennials in a huge number of fields, we get this self-defeating narrative from the youngsters

Average boomer - fought in Korea, and/or Vietnam, perhaps even Gulf WarI
Went through 60s, 70s, 80s including the oil crisis (ever sat in line for 4 hours to fill your tank ?)
Lived through segregation, civil rights movement, race riots in every major city, 15%+ interest rates
Kennedy assassination, Nixon Impeachment, Iran - hostage crisis - Reganomics, 4-5 real estate crashesInternet boom, Internet bust - most Boomers I know have lost their jobs multiple times.

And now for OPs myopia -
Most boomers were raised in very conservative religious, non-privileged homes; Most saw classmates beaten for insubordination or Lip by Parents, Neighbors, School Administrators. Most worked first jobs like washing dishes, cutting grass, working in a factory or other manual labor. Most (esp the older ones) have worked hard for 30 + years with no overtime pay.

Most Millennials:
Grew up with the Internet - instant answers from Google. Many refuse to do any manual labor-type jobs - won't even work at McDonalds, Coddled treatment in Sports, School, from other adults (not their fault of course). Many very bright, sophisticated opinions compared to their parents at the same age. However, after 5 years or less in the workforce we get these whiny complaints about how we Boomers stole all the government benefits, healthcare, good jobs, resources, etc. etc. Meanwhile most boomers would not even want to work the same boring job their parents did for 30 years.

and some wonder why a few people think them as snowflakes (not myself of course).

Last edited by Vacanegro; 05-31-2017 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
The OP is correct, much to the chagrin of the detractors and older people in this thread.
Here is why:

Average babyboomer - usually independent fresh out of high school, no welfare needed, "launches" right away

Walks out of high school STRAIGHT into a living wage or higher career that lasts 10-20 years or more (didn't even need "college degrees" to get good jobs back then), few if any layoffs or worrying about job insecurity due to the strong economy. The stability provided by "being in the right place, at the right time" in 1950-1970 era America and such good wages and steady work allowed the rising boomer to quickly attract a young wife and buy a house while very young. By the way, houses were dirt-cheap as the boomers were coming up, $20k-$60k for a decent house was not unheard of. The ones who got in real early managed to snag $15k houses. As time went by these boomers rode on the "wave" of inflation with ever increasing equity in their houses (sometimes in the 6-figures of free money) and rising wages/regular promotions at work, they were on "the receiving end" of the American economy.

Average millennial circa 2010's - can't afford independence until late 20's/early 30's, needs welfare, uses roommates, lives at home, etc

Walks out of high school and can't find any living wage jobs at all. Has to go to "college", using 5-figure (or more) student loans to do so, to even be considered for entry level jobs. Sometimes 2 or 3 degrees are needed due to the market being oversaturated with college degree holders. When he gets out of college, he struggles to find work and the competition for the few remaining good jobs is fierce. He might go a year or two before actually landing a job in his field of study. When he finally does land a decent entry-level job, he is CONSTANTLY worried about the economy and the threat of sudden layoffs. As women are mainly attracted to money and stability in a man, he might go a decade or more before he makes enough to attract a mate. In the meantime, he will be stuck renting and paying off his student debts for years, forget qualifying for a mortgage as his debt-to-income ratio makes him ineligible. And when he finally does get into a position to buy a property? He finds houses are now astronomically expensive compared to the $20k-$60k his father paid decades ago. As time goes on millennials are drowned by the "wave" of inflation as rents, property values, cost of living, etc are constantly going up, while wages stay flat at work, they are on "the losing end" of the American economy.

Maybe a little over-simplistic, but what I wrote is true in a "general" sense; the boomers had life "on easy mode" compared to millennials, and this is not really up for debate.

Studies don't always tell the real tale and I think when it comes to Millennials, they're often skewed.

Instead of looking at the things that are problematic, students should be looking at what does work, and positioning themselves to be in the best position possible to be hired once they graduate.

And don't boohoo about Millennials not being in the same job for 20 years. It's by design - their choice - and they're getting raises every time they switch. I get why they do this, don't think it's smart for the long-term, but that's their mentality and so far it seems to be working for them.

I have two millennials still in their 20's and almost all of their friends had no problem finding jobs right out of college. The ones who did lived in rural areas and majored in things that wouldn't apply to any job except in that very narrow space it related to.

A decade to make enough money to attract a mate? One son is already making six figures and doesn't share that with anyone because he doesn't want to attract the wrong type of woman, and the other one will be making the same by the time he's his age.

Things aren't as gloom and doom as you'd like to think.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Windows and HVAC is understandable... but bathrooms and kitchens?
Granite counters, marble floors don't cause you to go number 2 any faster... and seriously, how many know how to properly maintain said granite? Never mind cut it and seal it... That alone wasn't worth it... too time consuming to clean it twice a week.

Unless you have leaks, damages or mold, don't fix what isn't broken... I know hypocritical coming from someone who did put granite counters and back splashes up, that was done strategically. The property value is based on outside appearances. So it looked like the Clampets lived at my house on the outside, right on down to the junk cars in the front yard, but was very nice on the inside. I still sold the house well below assessment and market value to avoid capital gains tax.
Didn't hurt me... but sure hurt them when they went full bore with the siding and everything else.

But if you have a new roof, upgraded electric service, and other practical necessities covered, why not ask 100k? Oh because the bathroom isn't fancy? Kitchen can't meet the demands of a 5 star chef? It's unrealistic and not practical...

A bathroom, you're there to take care of business, wash your hands, and shower... who cares so long as there's no leaks or damages...
A kitchen? You don't need commercial grade appliances for a family of 4 or even up to 6... you don't see any restaurants with granite counters in the kitchen, so let that serrated knife slip off the edge of the cutting board... plus the time to maintain it...

An island with a sink, right behind a sink? How many dishes do you have that need to fill 2 sinks? What's wrong with a double din sink that's worked for years left side for rinsing fruits and vegetables, right side for rinsing dishes/washing hands to be going into the dish washer afterwards?

I like fancy homes just as much as the next person... some things aren't worth it. I'll take a house that's mechanically and structurally sound as boring and bland as can be over something loaded with all the "amenities" requiring extra time to clean and maintain for an unjustified extra 100k asking price based on visual appeal...
Actually, a modernized kitchen and bath is what many people want in a house.
11 Must-Haves To Sell Your Home To Young Homebuyers
I know that link talks about Millennials, but my parents, "Greatest Generationals" wanted that too. My mom once said she thought in old houses they just took whatever space was left over and called it the kitchen. I did a little research about kitchens and found out she was right! Kitchen design and the work triangle got its start in 1940. Kitchen Design 101: The Working Triangle

Re: bathrooms, I don't know when showers became standard, but my parents re-did their bathroom in 1957 without installing one. I think tub/shower combinations came in a few years later.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:22 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
I think it is all actually (insert group label here)'s fault for (insert strawman reasoning here)!

Old 05-31-2017, 02:24 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Yup! I'm 42, and my parents were actually PRE-Baby Boomers (born 1937 and 1939) whose parents all were adults (or almost - my paternal grandmother was 17 when the Crash of 1929 occurred) during the Depression. It's really sad to realize that the parents of these whiny little brats comes from MY own generation, a generation that, for the most part, obviously didn't listen to the lessons their parents and grandparents had to teach them, or else they tried to buck the stern discipline we received. I wasn't raised with that me-me-me, gimme gimme gimme mentality, and neither was any other of the kids in my family in my generation, either. Actually 8 of my 1st cousins are in the BB generation, age range 53 to 63, and only one of my blood relatives in my parents' generation is a BB; the rest were born 1943 or earlier. All I know is that my parents, their siblings, and my grandparents on both sides didn't put up with any lip from the kiddies and they let us know it!

In my house we didn't have cable TV (although it did exist in the early 1980's because one of my friends had it), expensive vacations (but I remember weeks spent with my grandparents during the summer!), designer clothes, and it was 1994 before my father finally bought a PC, and then they didn't have Internet until 2000. I learned the difference between needs and wants when I was growing up, and if you have a "need" that must be fulfilled, you may have to stop paying for/discontinue a "want." Honestly, I had no idea how much money my dad made because my parents always made a point of not flaunting it or over-spending on luxuries. They specialized in socking it away in savings, and interest-bearing accounts over the years instead of blowing it on the latest-and-greatest whatever. They still live in the same house they bought back in 1972. I'm still surprised how the 5 of us managed to fit in that house, because it only had one bathroom and 3 bedrooms. I never had a room of my own until I went away to college, because I slept in the attic.
I'm of a similar age as you - my parents are baby boomers. I was lucky in that I did grow up with parents who were well off financially and even then, I didn't get the silver platter handed to me. I too didn't get all the latest or greatest. Lol, I can remember being sooo mad because my mother would not buy me one of those crazy high priced Bennetton sweaters. I wanted it so bad. Since they had me pick cucumbers in the summer to 'build character', I saved every bit of my money from that just so I could go buy that damn sweater. Truth? It was ugly. But it wasn't handed to me just because I wanted it. I was taught if you want something, earn it.

All of my needs were met. Education was a priority and my parents did pay a pretty penny to try and obtain the best education for me possible. However, you're right about needs and wants. They taught me the difference between the two and were extremely careful to not cater to my every want even if they had the financial ability to do so. They believed it would engender laziness and a lack of respect for what it takes to earn success if they did so.

So I don't even think it's a matter of if people have more money or not, it's about values taught to children. I would never, not in a million years, think it was okay to pretty much 'confiscate' what someone else worked hard for even if that person had more than me. I cannot understand why Millennials think this is acceptable? What the heck happened???

Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why do you buy a house which is not a fixer upper and have to immediately rehab it? Sounds dumb to me.
Perhaps I misspoke. The area I live in did not experience the drastic drop in real estate prices from the bubble so things are still coming down from that. The cheapest of cheap houses and condos in my area are still pretty pricey and need work. Around my area, even for townhouses, you stop seeing "needs work", "rehab loan required" or "investment potential" around the $160K mark.

I'm not talking about "work" like fancy counter tops. I'm talking things like 25 year old duct work with more holes than a block of swiss cheese. A friend of mine picked up a house a few years ago... turns out that if cat urine sits for too long, it becomes the consistency of honey.

I personally love my fixer-upper, tbh. Why pay full price for a house that you'll want to customize anyways?

Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Yep, we seized all the money and we used up all of the fun, too. Too bad for you.
There won't be any money left when we die. We'll use it all up. Banks will be empty. ATMs will be empty. All gone.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:31 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Your claim, your responsibility to support.
what claim? i just pointed you to an article, which you didn't read.

are you really this lazy, or is this a matter of willful ignorance?

i think the boomers don't want to know anything about their generation's profligacy. Y'all have elected politicians who basically declared war on your own children's generation. Y'all can't handle the truth about the situation so you just either avoid it or pull out the just-world fallacy.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:32 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
The Baby Boomers seized all the nation's wealth.
And of course, you want to donate all that wealth to the young do-nothings who sit around all day staring at an f'n smartphone screen and whine. Brilliant.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:32 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I recall reading a recent article about younger people moving to the cities in greater numbers than ever before. When I see the cr*p they get for their dollar in the various cities (on HGTV), I don't know. They could have larger homes that aren't falling apart with nice space and decent property if they didn't live in the city but what's even more ridiculous is how they try to justify the expensive cr*p with no space.

And then if they buy a real house what they complain about is ludicrous like the whole bathroom has to be renovated so they can have a jetted tub or the whole kitchen is a remodel because they don't like the backsplash and if they stand at their kitchen island they need to be able to see their 3 year old (who doesn't actually exist yet) in front of the TV so the sink has to face a certain way or take that house off the list...and God forbid two people have to share a bathroom or there is carpeting or my favorite whines: "It's 15 minutes away from my job, that's tooooo far" or "There isn't enough space in the back yard for Barney (their dog)." Meanwhile, this is coming from 28 year old Emma and Liam who up until this time were living in her parent's extra bedroom.

If they want to live in the city, fine. They need to just quit whining and blaming boomers because they don't have everything by the time they are 30.

I'd like to see them try to share one car, like my parents did, while raising 3 kids. Luckily, my mother was SAH, so if she needed the car she would drive my father to work and picked him up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies