Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Party gains Senate seats
Republicans 39 67.24%
Democrats 19 32.76%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
That's what they said in 2016 a well
We'll see, it's 2 years and we are barely out of the 2016 election which was predicted to be a Hillary shoe in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I can't believe so many posts would predict a GOP sweep, if Trump is still around it's going to be a slaughter on the GOP. Congressional elections are based on popular vote, not an electoral college, on top of that, there are far more minorities and women than there are white conservatives. Unless there's a big change in the national mood, and the Republican congress starts delivering, they will lose there super majority advantage.

Regarding the Senate the seats up do matter. Fact of the matter is there are far more Democratic seats up in 2018 than Republican ones. Regardless of the political climate, the Republicans face a much easier map. Granted the much easier map doesn't always pan out, the GOP had the easier map in 2012 and lost seats, the Dems had a far easier map in 2016 and while they did pick up seats, they picked up less than expected

Old 02-16-2017, 09:56 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They had the opportunity to elect a more moderate candidate but they stuck with Nancy Pelosi. Since they had to replace Debbie Wasserman Schultz because she was caught screwing Bernie Sanders the politicians running for the DNC chair are far left too.
Moderate Dems = Third Way Democrats = Clinton Democrats = Identity Politics Dems = Wall St. Dems. No thanks.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,229,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
GOP will clean up in 2018, democrats do not turn out for non-presidential years.
They did in 2006 and 2008. The Democrats swept congress after Bush wrecked the economy and got us into needless wars. We will see a repeat of that in 2018, especially after the madness of Donald Trump. Barely been a month and Trump's White House is in chaos. He is angering so many people across the country and the massive protests mirror the Tea Party movement which led to the Republicans taking back congress in 2010. The difference is the current protest movement is far bigger than the Tea Party at its peak.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
They did in 2006 and 2008. The Democrats swept congress after Bush wrecked the economy and got us into needless wars. We will see a repeat of that in 2018, especially after the madness of Donald Trump. Barely been a month and Trump's White House is in chaos. He is angering so many people across the country and the massive protests mirror the Tea Party movement which led to the Republicans taking back congress in 2010. The difference is the current protest movement is far bigger than the Tea Party at its peak.
you keep talking about Trump but keep forgetting to talk about the state of your own party, which is a mess. A weird mishmash of corporatists and crazy far leftists with moderates struggling to breathe or get attention. There is no clear vision and the riots and protests by Soros paid thugs and college students is making you look bad. Not good

I mean Jesus, you guys just re elected NANCY PELOSI as your speaker!

as 2016 showed, Just running as "I am not the other guy" is not enough

Old 02-16-2017, 11:11 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,229,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
you keep talking about Trump but keep forgetting to talk about the state of your own party, which is a mess. A weird mishmash of corporatists and crazy far leftists with moderates struggling to breathe or get attention. There is no clear vision and the riots and protests by Soros paid thugs and college students is making you look bad. Not good

I mean Jesus, you guys just re elected NANCY PELOSI as your speaker!

as 2016 showed, Just running as "I am not the other guy" is not enough
The Democrats will come together but the distaste for Trump and what him and his administration is doing to the country will bring out Democrats in large numbers in 2018. Republicans will be complacent and less motivated to come out and vote especially if the job numbers don't improve or they get worse under Trump.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump and his policies are causing a backlash that will continue to build. The President's party usually loses seats during his term. Democrats will pick up a seat or two.
Is this really what you believe, or are just hoping for

Many of the numerous (D's) up for re-election are in states that Trump carried. Conversely only 9 (R's) are up this time around. The numbers alone do not bode well for your prediction.
But how about this. Why don't we make a wager and the loser has to pay $100 to a charity like St Judes, Shriners Hospital, or Make a Wish. You pick.

I predict the (R's) will gain, and you say the (D's) will gain in 2018. Do we have an agreement as to the bet, the amount, and a choice of those 3 charities?

Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Regarding the Senate the seats up do matter. Fact of the matter is there are far more Democratic seats up in 2018 than Republican ones. Regardless of the political climate, the Republicans face a much easier map. Granted the much easier map doesn't always pan out, the GOP had the easier map in 2012 and lost seats, the Dems had a far easier map in 2016 and while they did pick up seats, they picked up less than expected
The problem for the GOP is that Trump and the republican congress have promised big things from rebuilding the middle class to jobs to health care to Wall Street to taxes to immigration. Taken as a systematic agenda, it could look like an organized climb back to prosperity, but so far it looks like they had an agenda but no plan on how to get there. Trump is an experiment, he's the outsider that would break up the Washington elite, in fact I had high hopes he could do it. But there seems to be a Washington Mafia that doesn't want him messing with the system, you can argue where that seat of power comes from but I'm willing to bet it's non partisan. If they don't start getting things under control soon, they'll be out of time.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:15 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
>I don't understand how anyone who isn't an illegal alien, a felon, or dependent on the government could vote for a member of today's Democrat Party.<

They are not social Darwinists? I did not vote for any Dems but I know a good number of mainstreet GOP moderates that got sick of the Tea Party purity tests and being called RINOs. No they did not become Dems, but stopped voting straight ticket.

Answer to original question.

R+4.

Simple geography.
R mostly running in safe states.
Dems have 4 in GOP states. Barring someone getting charged with something criminal, the only vulnerable R I see is NV.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
The problem for the GOP is that Trump and the republican congress have promised big things from rebuilding the middle class to jobs to health care to Wall Street to taxes to immigration. Taken as a systematic agenda, it could look like an organized climb back to prosperity, but so far it looks like they had an agenda but no plan on how to get there. Trump is an experiment, he's the outsider that would break up the Washington elite, in fact I had high hopes he could do it. But there seems to be a Washington Mafia that doesn't want him messing with the system, you can argue where that seat of power comes from but I'm willing to bet it's non partisan. If they don't start 8getting things under control soon, they'll be out of time.

I would generally agree, but keep in mind the difference between the House and Senate. A toxic political climate could really hurt one side or the other in the House. It might not have the same impact in the Senate, because the map, what seats are up are very important as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies