Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 12:06 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,313 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with this. Unless you can prove a hardship from doing the volunteer work, I dont see the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 12:22 PM

36,545 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And you're assuming that someone who's so lazy they can't be bothered to work 24 hours a MONTH, somehow has the drive and skillsets to be an employee somewhere.

Let's assume this Joe Layabout really does try to get a job even though he hates the thought of working... Do you really think there aren't going to be better qualified people also applying to those jobs? What happens when employers see him for what he is and opt to hire the other guys, who actually seem like they could be good employees...?

Now you have someone who doesn't want to work, can't get a job, and doesn't have any money to feed himself. How exactly do you see that scenario playing out?

But you're right... him turning to crime is the far less likely outcome.
Many of those on assistance are already involved in criminal activity.
Its not like they are starving anyway as a number of people are selling their FS for additional cash.
Most people dont want to work but most people find getting a job is easier in the long run than turning to crime.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Lots of people have phone and/or internet or they have a library nearby where they can get assistance. I bought my kid a trac phone from the grocery store that is a smart phone for $5. You can get a card that includes data, text, and talking for $10. You don't need a computer, an iphone or wi-fi to have access to data/internet services today.

You can also call the foodstamp/welfare office and they can fill out an application for you via a landline phone. Due to SNAP being a federal program, it has to have a lot of accessibility built in so people can get assistance.

ETA: It is odd to me that you mentioned iphones and computers in relation to getting online. It shows that you don't understand what it means to be "poor" in America. You don't need an iphone to have a "smart" phone. You can get cheap android phones for free with a Walmart Plan or Metro PCS. Many of the residents in the housing communities I worked in had trac phones they got at the dollar store for $5. They were android based smart phones. That's what gave me the idea to get one for my own kid when he was 12. He has an iphone now, but I still have the $5 android and they still are sold at dollar stores and the grocery store for $4.99.
The post I was responding to insinuated these people are so poor they have no job because they have no car and cant get a car because they have no job and live so rural its too farm from any resources to walk. So how do they get to Wal Mart to buy a phone and a plan.
Where can you get a data and text monthly plan for $10. Sign me up. The cheapest I have found is 45$ plus tax.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
Quote:
So Maine's politicians are expecting these people to just sit in their homes and die? Interesting strategy.
Nah, they won't starve. They will use their money from the daily drug sales, when they sell meth or the "drug choice of the day" in their neighborhoods... The foodstamps were just a kick in Uncle Sam's a**. They didn't need them. The scamming hood rats always had their hand out. Now, don't expect them to work. They will just steal the food from the grocery store.

Once again, I am referring to the lowlifes who don't work, sell drugs, and this does not include the elderly or the disabled. Just your average gutter-rat getting everything from the system for free...

*I should add: food stamps help truly struggling families, where the parents work but fall below the minimum. I include them as honest folks who need help to get food on the table.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Library has free use of computers and free internet access.
No car too far from town. How you going to get to the library?

Old 02-21-2017, 12:34 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
So you think the person that's too lazy to figure out how to work 24 hours a month, is suddenly going to find their work ethic when you tell them to work or starve?
Don't know. Don't care.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:37 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The post I was responding to insinuated these people are so poor they have no job because they have no car and cant get a car because they have no job and live so rural its too farm from any resources to walk. So how do they get to Wal Mart to buy a phone and a plan.
Where can you get a data and text monthly plan for $10. Sign me up. The cheapest I have found is 45$ plus tax.
You can buy a trac phone card that includes data for $10-$20.

And some people live close to Walmart or Family Dollar but not close to job centers.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:43 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,869 times
The fed govt. should reimburse Maine for the somalis using this program seeing that they are responsible for bringing them in.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:02 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have never understood welfare. It doesn't help you help yourself. You should be required to volunteer, train for a new type of work, do something. People start gaming the system and taking advantage. It hurts the nation as a whole.

A friend of mine had to go on Medicaid. I was livid, she was IMO gaming the system. Her husband could work, he chose not to. She could work, she chose not to. They were receiving money from the mother to help support them while both of them stayed home with the kids.

My friend was mortified. I told her to go get a job and get benefits.
I work full time (professional position) and still qualify for medicaid for myself and two children.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Damn. All those lowlife welfare blacks in Maine won't work, huh?

That's right....kick em off!

Oh wait...

Funny how the comments in this thread don't have the same tone to them as they would if this story came out of let's say....Atlanta or Cleveland. ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies