Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 11:47 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Makes one wonder how they get to the welfare office, health department, grocery store, etc.

As much as I detest the influx of illegal aliens when they descended on our town to work at Perdue, they would walk to work, then ride a bicycle then finally get a beater and give all their friends a ride.
You can apply for foodstamps online today and you are not required to go to the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

11,803 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And you're assuming that someone who's so lazy they can't be bothered to work 24 hours a MONTH, somehow has the drive and skillsets to be an employee somewhere.

Let's assume this Joe Layabout really does try to get a job even though he hates the thought of working... Do you really think there aren't going to be better qualified people also applying to those jobs? What happens when employers see him for what he is and opt to hire the other guys, who actually seem like they could be good employees...?

Now you have someone who doesn't want to work, can't get a job, and doesn't have any money to feed himself. How exactly do you see that scenario playing out?

But you're right... him turning to crime is the far less likely outcome.
So you're good with opening your wallet and supporting others because they don't want to work. I'll be the 1st to sign up - please send me directions to your area as I want to be close by so I get the money ASAP.

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I saw an interesting documentary the other day about poverty in the US. One single mother with 5 kids in New York lost all aid when she got a raise from $8/hr to $11/hr. She was worse off with that raise than before it.

The threshold should be updated to current COL, imho. Then people will be more empowered by working than they would otherwise.
I'm curious as to how she came to the place where she has five kids while making so little?

Did she have a husband with really good pay who died?

What were the circumstances?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:48 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Your assuming the majority will turn to crime.
Your assuming they will be caught.
Your assuming those convicted of a crime will actually go to prison or get a lengthy jail sentence.

when hungry, sick, and desperate YES-YES And YES

Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
So you're good with opening your wallet and supporting others because they don't want to work. I'll be the 1st to sign up - please send me directions to your area as I want to be close by so I get the money ASAP.

arrogant statement- what were the reasons did not comply?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:52 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
No they are certainly not. I know this is a stereotype that never goes away. From my experience, poor people tend to vote Republican because they are always social conservatives. Just like union members. Almost all union members I know vote Republican.

Added by edit.

Why am I a liberal? Because I genuinely want to help the poor despite them voting against my rights every time. Like I said, ignoring poverty or cutting them loose does not solve anything.
Yet, you support a party that want to import 50-70 million poor illegal immigrants to further divvy up the pie. That's like screw the poor Americans from behind with a freight train. On that issue along, I would never vote for the Democrats.

Your compassion is great, but how is it in anyway moral, fair and just to take the money from the people by violence and just give to those who refuse to feed themselves?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Hi there. My family was imported into this country from a 3rd world country. My parents worked tirelessly...
I think goods and products are imported. People migrate. Your parents were immigrants. Did they come in as refugees?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:54 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You can apply for foodstamps online today and you are not required to go to the office.
So one can afford a computer or iphone and wifi but cant afford to work?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Lots of people have phone and/or internet or they have a library nearby where they can get assistance. I bought my kid a trac phone from the grocery store that is a smart phone for $5. You can get a card that includes data, text, and talking for $10. You don't need a computer, an iphone or wi-fi to have access to data/internet services today.

You can also call the foodstamp/welfare office and they can fill out an application for you via a landline phone. Due to SNAP being a federal program, it has to have a lot of accessibility built in so people can get assistance.

ETA: It is odd to me that you mentioned iphones and computers in relation to getting online. It shows that you don't understand what it means to be "poor" in America. You don't need an iphone to have a "smart" phone. You can get cheap android phones for free with a Walmart Plan or Metro PCS. Many of the residents in the housing communities I worked in had trac phones they got at the dollar store for $5. They were android based smart phones. That's what gave me the idea to get one for my own kid when he was 12. He has an iphone now, but I still have the $5 android and they still are sold at dollar stores and the grocery store for $4.99.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Library has free use of computers and free internet access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies