Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
A hungry belly is a good motivator.
This is not true at all.

Have you ever tried to help poor people? Hunger is not that great a motivator.

All you have to do is look at 3rd world countries for more examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Good.

More states need to do this.

No able bodied working age adult should be on permanent welfare.
They will just move to a state that will give them the assistance. I had a family member who would get welfare in California, while living in Mississippi. She just gave another family member's address, when the money came in, it was sent to Mississippi. She didn't want to apply in Mississippi, because she got more benefits from California. She would move back and forth. The welfare system always seemed to pay for her and her 5 kids to travel back and forth. Would surprise most of us in the family, since most of us, couldn't even afford to leave our own state for vacation.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When people don't eat, they do desperate things. Like work.
Or like rob people. I had a co-worker back when I worked construction who had done 8 years in prison for nearly beating a man to death with a baseball bat because he wanted his money, hadn't eaten in 4 days when it happened

Old 02-21-2017, 09:32 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
I don't understand this question.
Seems like a pretty straightforward question. If you are too lazy to work 24 hours a month, are you really going to try to find a job when you're kicked off the benefits wagon, or are you going to look for the quickest and easiest ways to put money in your pocket?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:32 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

That is exactly what welfare does, it gives a man/woman a fish for a day. But only for that day. It does not prepare them to live on their own for a lifetime. On welfare, they will never be able to work themselves up, own their home, save for retirement or earn social security. They will be poor the rest of their lives.
Not true.

I have been on assistance periodically in the last 13 years. I worked fulltime but assistance has helped me cover my shortage between my income and cost of living. I have owned a house and a retirement account for the entire time.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Won't the bleeding heart liberals be uset about these freeloaders not betting free stuff?! Afterall, we're not supposed to hold people personally accountable in todays America!
This is exactly the kind of attitude that prevents any real solution to the problem of poverty from solidifying.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"dignity and self worth"

A lot of able bodied welfare leeches don't give a thought to " dignity and self worth"

In the late 1980's, a major boat manufacturer was expanding and needed to double its work force from 300 -600 workers.
The Federal govt offered to pay part of their wages in the training phase if the company hired people on welfare. Nearly all of those 300 were hired that way.
The work was hard..........pay and benefits were good and lots of overtime.

One day at closing time a young single mother seemed depressed and was crying.
The foreman came over to console her and ask what was wrong.
She stated............." I work so hard yet at the end of the month I don't feel I'm farther ahead than I was before working"

The foreman said............" but you are doing it all on your own . Paying your rent, feeding your kids, paying for daycare. You are no longer dependant on assistance from the govt "

"Big f'ing deal"..........she snapped at the foreman !
She is now working long hours and someone else is raising her kids. How is that a better system?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
To follow state guideline I would imagine they would consult official documentation on the subject.
Some people are too...I can only say stupid to do that.

FWIW, I worked with the public in a government capacity. A lot of the people in our country who go on public welfare programs for an extended period of time are not very bright and they need a lot of hand holding on simple things.

So my questions come from that perspective. There are a lot of people who won't help themselves because they don't know how to do so.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
She is now working long hours and someone else is raising her kids. How is that a better system?
It's a better system because there is potential for her to better herself. Living within the system has absolutely zero chance to ever getting out of the cycle of poverty.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:40 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So if they have to go to an "approved" place to volunteer...
Much of Maine is very rural. It's likely that some rural people would have to drive an hour or so each way to get to an approved volunteer location. Being super poor, they might not have a car that's reliable enough to go that far for volunteer work, especially during Maine's winter. Maybe they don't even own a car. Then they'd have to walk to the volunteer location or get a ride from someone else.

There are some people that are so dirt poor that they really have these situations. It gets into the chicken/egg scenario. They don't have a job so no money for a car. But because they don't have a car they can't get to a job. They need the car to get a job but need money to get the car. I have seen posters here on city-data with this exact dimemma. They were searching for jobs but didn't have a car to get to work and didn't have money to buy a car. Many were young adults/just starting out in life.

You can bet that some of these people in this exact scenario just got their food stamps cut off. How they get themselves out of that perpetual hole, who knows. When you live in a rural area, if you don't have a car, you are pretty much stuck. City people have it much easier because of public transportation and because easier to walk to businesses due to less open space.

Max food stamp allotment for 1 person is $194/mo.

Thank your lucky stars you aren't dirt poor and stuck in a rut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies