Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 01:11 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,039,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I saw an interesting documentary the other day about poverty in the US. One single mother with 5 kids in New York lost all aid when she got a raise from $8/hr to $11/hr. She was worse off with that raise than before it.

The threshold should be updated to current COL, imho. Then people will be more empowered by working than they would otherwise.
This is very common. I received child support for my son and lost more in benefits than the actual child support they collect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You can buy a trac phone card that includes data for $10-$20.

And some people live close to Walmart or Family Dollar but not close to job centers.
I checked out tracfone at wal mart and could not find any phone cards that cheep. The cheepest was 30$ plus the cheapest phone was 29.

Again, you can get to wal mart to buy a phone and data(without wifi) to apply for food stamps on line but cant manage to get a job or earn money? How you get that 10-20$.
Please show me a link where I can get a phone and minutes and data for 10-20$/month.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:20 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I checked out tracfone at wal mart and could not find any phone cards that cheep. The cheepest was 30$ plus the cheapest phone was 29.

Again, you can get to wal mart to buy a phone and data(without wifi) to apply for food stamps on line but cant manage to get a job or earn money? How you get that 10-20$.
Please show me a link where I can get a phone and minutes and data for 10-20$/month.
You can buy them in the store for that range. I got my son's phone from Kroger. I also got the $10 card from Kroger. They were on a special when I bought them. Phone was discounted from 19.99 to 4.99. They run this promotion often.

Family Dollar also has them.

Walmart has their own cheap plan.

The best deals are in the stores themselves and not accessed via a link. Poor people actually do shop at stores you know...

Again, I can tell you don't know about poverty and what poor people do in America and where they shop. FYI they also pay rent with money orders and use check cashing places to pay bills and those places also sell trac phones and card plans. They also get the free government phones they can use for internet. Many poor people sell those phones to other people when they need extra money.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:08 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Great idea. Let's save the $2,000/year it costs to keep those people placated so that we can spend $40,000/year to keep them incarcerated.
Nobody survives on 2000 a year.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You actually think that is the only option? Interesting thought process.
What did you expect from the Left?

Quote:
So you're saying these people who couldn't be bothered to work 24 hours a month are now going to suddenly develop a work ethic?
Then you, as in you personally, go buy them some food, if it will make you feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

That is exactly what welfare does, it gives a man/woman a fish for a day. But only for that day. It does not prepare them to live on their own for a lifetime. On welfare, they will never be able to work themselves up, own their home, save for retirement or earn social security. They will be poor the rest of their lives.
Good point.

Quote:
Great idea. Let's save the $2,000/year it costs to keep those people placated so that we can spend $40,000/year to keep them incarcerated.
So, you admit the The Poorâ„¢ are undisciplined pieces of garbage, who are so lazy, they won't even avail themselves of local free stores and food banks. Sounds like a great reason to strip them of their Citizenship and deport them.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Then you, as in you personally, go buy them some food, if it will make you feel better.

Good point.

So, you admit the The Poorâ„¢ are undisciplined pieces of garbage, who are so lazy, they won't even avail themselves of local free stores and food banks. Sounds like a great reason to strip them of their Citizenship and deport them.
Deport them where? You can't deport somebody who is a birth citizen

Old 02-21-2017, 04:59 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
Quote:
No car too far from town. How you going to get to the library?
Adult case management or voc rehab.
Do you have any idea how many different programs there are??
And that's not even mentioning natural supports.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:42 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement

Good!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Ahh. What you really want to say is that by kicking them off the public dole, they will become criminals.

I don't think so.
That's right. Bc someone who can't be bothered to work 24 hours a MONTH is just jumping at the chance to find a job or starve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I choose to put you in jail as in a long run, it would be cheaper. You can't breed in jail.
Sounds like you're on to something...

Quote:
Many of those on assistance are already involved in criminal activity.
Its not like they are starving anyway as a number of people are selling their FS for additional cash.
Most people dont want to work but most people find getting a job is easier in the long run than turning to crime.
Yes... We call those people... the people who aren't too lazy to work 24 hours a MONTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Nah, they won't starve. They will use their money from the daily drug sales, when they sell meth or the "drug choice of the day" in their neighborhoods... The foodstamps were just a kick in Uncle Sam's a**. They didn't need them. The scamming hood rats always had their hand out. Now, don't expect them to work. They will just steal the food from the grocery store.

Once again, I am referring to the lowlifes who don't work, sell drugs, and this does not include the elderly or the disabled. Just your average gutter-rat getting everything from the system for free...

*I should add: food stamps help truly struggling families, where the parents work but fall below the minimum. I include them as honest folks who need help to get food on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Don't know. Don't care.
Of course you don't. Which is why $40k seems like a fair trade for $2k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nobody survives on 2000 a year.
And yet that's what Maine pays on average. Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Good point.

It would make me feel better if the idiots who can't figure out if 40000 is more or less than 2000 weren't trying to discuss budgets.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:08 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I have a problem with financing a president taking vacations every week, using our money to pay for Air Force One to fly him to an ego boosting rally, and also paying for his wife to fly across the country to visit because she's too good to live in the White House. That's what I have an issue with.
This isn't some new phenomena.

Have you posted about that before?

Anyway, back to the subject of this thread....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies