Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Legalize nationally 132 57.89%
Ban nationally 20 8.77%
Let states decide; federal government shouldn't interfere 76 33.33%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:19 PM

981 posts, read 900,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
There is a difference between addiction and habit forming. You don't feel like **** quitting pot.

Please provide "the amount of evidence that exists in society."
I am totally on board with legalization, so the legal debate has nothing to do with my comment. Addiction can be caused by physical addiction, psychological addicton, or both. Addiction is typically defined as a condition that results when a person ingests a substance or engages in an activity that can be pleasurable but the continuation of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary responsibilities and concerns such as work, relationships, and health. A situation where someone is smoking as a coping mechanism and with such frequency and priority that they cannot hold a job, maintain meaningful relationships, or care about increased cancer rates is definitely addicted. Psychological addictions can be just as hard to give up, gambling being an example. I am for legalization as we have many substances that are legal, highly addictive, and cause more destructive behavior than pot (namely alcohol) and the tax revenue is just too good to ignore. But acting like abuse and compulsive use of pot is just a bad habit is not accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,617 times
I thought the current administration was all about "returning power to the states"?

At least, that's what they said when it came to transgender bathroom rules.

What happened to the "party of smaller government" and "states' rights" and "getting Washington out of the way"?

WAKE UP!

The Republicans only want the states to have power when they agree with national Republicans.

We saw this before when A$hcroft (the board censors the correct spelling of his name for some reason) went after Oregon on assisted suicide.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:26 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Marijuana addiction is an actual problem I think. I know people in their late 20s and 30s who get stoned on a daily basis. That is a problem at that age. But it's a problem the way alcoholism is a problem. This is not something the government should be getting involved in, except for educating people and encouraging chronic abusers to go to rehab.
Can I borrow your time machine?? I figure you must have come the fast way from the 1950s. Cause everyone who has lived since then, Should know weed is not addictive ....

Old 02-23-2017, 08:27 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Marijuana is not habit forming, and doesn't create a chemical dependency like alcohol, cigarettes or heroin or crack
Totally false. That's either repeated propaganda or addiction rationalization speaking. Or you just don't smoke enough marijuana to know enough about how it is addictive.

It's a psychological dependency, there are architectural changes in the brain, and there are long term withdrawal symptoms for many people (such as anxiety). It also readily causes permanent personality changes due to the brain architecture changes, to include less ability to process emotion and handle emotional stress from reduction of brain matter in the orbitofrontal cortex.

Jeff Spicoli is a stereotype for a reason, an exaggerated stereotype, but nevertheless not an inaccurate stereotype for heavy users. That type of personality change, or lesser versions of it, doesn't go away after ceasing use.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:28 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
I am totally on board with legalization, so the legal debate has nothing to do with my comment. Addiction can be caused by physical addiction, psychological addicton, or both. Addiction is typically defined as a condition that results when a person ingests a substance or engages in an activity that can be pleasurable but the continuation of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary responsibilities and concerns such as work, relationships, and health. A situation where someone is smoking as a coping mechanism and with such frequency and priority that they cannot hold a job, maintain meaningful relationships, or care about increased cancer rates is definitely addicted. Psychological addictions can be just as hard to give up, gambling being an example. I am for legalization as we have many substances that are legal, highly addictive, and cause more destructive behavior than pot (namely alcohol) and the tax revenue is just too good to ignore. But acting like abuse and compulsive use of pot is just a bad habit is not accurate.
Please stop your blathering. Habit.... addiction... two different things. now away with your nonsense.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Red states have passed marijuana laws too and I don't see any restrictions on alcohol. I have never used marijuana and have no interest but I LOVE the tax revenue it has generated in Washington state. If Trump's brain was one 10th the size of his ego, he would impose a federal tax on marijuana call it good.

Pot shops have sold over $1 billion worth of non-medicinal marijuana since July 2014, in turn generating more than $250 million for Washington state through excise taxes, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported Friday.

Marijuana sales in Washington state top $1 billion: Report - Washington Times
It's not worth it for the increased temptation, through social normalization, and thus risk to children and young adults under the age of twenty five; before the brain stops forming. Consistent marijuana use, before that point, permanently stunts white matter growth in the orbitofrontal cortex. This likely to be wider spread permanent effect on the brains of the populace isn't worth the tax revenue.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
BS. As someone who has gone through periods of my life where I smoked a lot, and then gone years without smoking, I will tell you that you are full of crap. I was also a cigarette smoker and it took me years, and five tries, to finally kick that habit. Pot is not physically addictive, and you can quit without any kind of physical withdrawals.

Here's a little tip for you since you appear to be totally ignorant on the subject--Reefer Madness was not a documentary.
And I can quit cigs on a dime but not marijuana (though clean now for years). The way your brain is wired will determine the addictive properties of various substances, beyond their natural addiction potential. Likewise, I've also know of heroine users who can pick it up and quit (Mark Ames from the Exiled being one). That doesn't mean that heroine is not addictive.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:44 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
It's not worth it for the increased temptation, through social normalization, and thus risk to children and young adults under the age of twenty five; before the brain stops forming. Consistent marijuana use, before that point, permanently stunts white matter growth in the orbitofrontal cortex. This likely to be wider spread permanent effect on the brains of the populace isn't worth the tax revenue.
Now they'll be able to get it even earlier. Drug dealers don't ask for ID.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:46 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It is really too bad if some people are so weak-minded that they become psychologically dependent on various things--such as religion or exercise, for example. Shall we ban them?

But you do not get to judge. Sorry you have an addictive personality and couldn't deal with it, but many, many highly paid, highly educated and productive members of society can smoke marijuana without it becoming a crutch. Alcohol is a drug--go on your silly crusade against that. Alcoholics have physical withdrawal. Weed smokers do not.

Produce your scientific studies--as I simply do not believe that one person's psychological history is enough evidence to declare an herb addictive.

Your ridiculous proclamation is dismissed.

Your description of exercise as something on which "weak-minded" people become psychologically dependent, loses me completely. Why did you need to toss in such a ridiculous premise and sabotage your whole argument?

Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I thought the current administration was all about "returning power to the states"?

At least, that's what they said when it came to transgender bathroom rules.

What happened to the "party of smaller government" and "states' rights" and "getting Washington out of the way"?

WAKE UP!

The Republicans only want the states to have power when they agree with national Republicans.

We saw this before when A$hcroft (the board censors the correct spelling of his name for some reason) went after Oregon on assisted suicide.
They are for "red state" rights, not blue state rights.

It sucks living in a country where there is no separation of church and state and where the Southern Baptist church dominates the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies