Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 02:21 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
And this is why it's important that we care about income inequality, and the nonsense promises that Trump is making to people that he's exploiting (by promising to bring back jobs that don't exist anymore, or are never coming back for many reasons).

Income inequality should be attacked in sensible/rational ways (tax reform, re-education/re-training programs, incentivizing people to re-train over their careers, not in unrealistic ways (i.e. Trump promises)).
When people are younger some don't give a rats ass about equality of hard work, they some how think they'll do fine on minimum wage so they don't put effort into their education. Then when reality hits, they cry the blues and want to stick their hands deeper in the pockets of the smart people who understood if they want a better life they have to work and pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 02:24 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Then universal basic income here we come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCarmel View Post
UBI will be a necessity in order to preserve a functioning society.
You can scream, "Universal Basic Income" until you're blue in the face, but it will not happen unless you can find a way to fund it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Wouldn't a third world country be able to elevate themselves out of trash status by passing a law requiring high minimum wage in their country?

Sorry, I laugh so hard that I am in tears.
Yeah, good point.

Some people just don't understand how the Laws of Economics work.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:24 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What I don't get.......and I'm generalizing and maybe I'm wrong but it seems the very same people complaining about wealth inequality are the same people pushing globalization........

Now I understand that many of them are lying just to get support but.........?

Obama claimed to be against the wealth gap but it grew to record proportions under his administration. He oversaw the largest trickle up economy perhaps ever devised since the days of kings and knights. And he was a globalist. A lot of people supported that but then claim they don't. I don't get it.
To be fair Obama was roasted heavily by the GOP when he let the Bush era tax cuts expire. Then after the GOP gained control of Congress, all tax increases was lost. I wouldn't claim it's his fault.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
So that social order exists. You think people will willingly starve to death without a fight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
They'll starve anyway. Multiple minimum wage jobs won't pay the bills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because taxes have to be raised to see that the cashier doesn't starve. You pay one way or the other.
Or they can alter their Life-Styles, or they can move to a low Cost-of-Living area.

They can even emigrate to another country to work.

There are many solutions that don't involve taxes or spoon-feeding people.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You can scream, "Universal Basic Income" until you're blue in the face, but it will not happen unless you can find a way to fund it.

Yeah, good point.

Some people just don't understand how the Laws of Economics work.
UBI will first of all replace social security since UBI will involve everyone.

Plus, if we were to grant every single family in this country UBI (113 million families, average size: 2.6 people per household) 20K per year. That'll cost about 2T.

The real cost would be lower since there's various exceptions: single, family with kids, COL, etc...
2T sounds like a lot, until you realize the taxes on the rich has been at a historical low for quite some time now. Back before Reagan, taxes were above 80% versus 39.6 now and capital gains is at 20% for the highest income right now before it was 40%+ . If we were to raise those taxes back to the pre-Reagan era, combined with some shuffling of military expenditures and increases in corporate income taxes and so forth, we'll easily pay for it.

Remember FICA as it is now, requires a 7% tax on the individual and a 7% tax on the employer. All we're doing is raising that and making it more progressive. So that we don't allow big rich corporations to buy politicians like they do now and/or offshore money overseas.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Or they can alter their Life-Styles, or they can move to a low Cost-of-Living area.

How do the poor "move" to another city if they can't save to begin with? I don't get where this money is coming from?

Old 02-28-2017, 02:35 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Panera has 6 of them. You can also order on your phone. Who needs people anymore? And, at $15 dollars an hour, employees will be scarce, like water in a ghost town.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:42 PM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:

In other words, "let them eat cake." That attitude sometimes has political consequences.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Trickle down economics apparently doesn't trickle down as much as theory would indicate. Wages adjusted for inflation since the late 70's are down, the old story of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer appears to be true.

If you give the rich tax breaks, apparently they pocket the money or move it offshore or whatever other tricks they can do.

I'm all for capitalism and think in general it's good, but not when the system appears to be rigged toward the uber wealthy.
With Capitalism when a business fails, it fails. If we had allowed the bubble to simply pop and things do as they will we would not have the huge wealth disparity we have right now.

Capitalism would have actually worked.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When people are younger some don't give a rats ass about equality of hard work, they some how think they'll do fine on minimum wage so they don't put effort into their education. Then when reality hits, they cry the blues and want to stick their hands deeper in the pockets of the smart people who understood if they want a better life they have to work and pay.
Where are all of these "educated" people going to work? I ask this over and over in thread after thread and I never get an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies